Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: downgrade 4.1 on 3g?

Default downgrade 4.1 on 3g?
    Ok so I bought my gf an iphone from a friend and of coarse they updated it to 4.1....I know I cant unlock it yet....but how can I downgrade it? All I see is things about having ur shsh files saved but I obviously dont have any...just really frustrating obviously. Her other phone is pretty much dead and because of 4.1 and not being able to unlock she has no phone. I know this probably comes up all the time but I tried looking and didnt see what I needed. Please help! Thank you!

2. The Following User Says Thank You to afkafm For This Useful Post:

Caseyridd5 (2010-10-06)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,764 Times in 2,652 Posts

Was your iphone jailbroken before and at what version ?

No...it wasnt...that means im doomed right?

Thanks
    Thanked 2,764 Times in 2,652 Posts

You want to give it a try, do this :
    Run Notepad as Admin , open up hosts file and add this line :
    74.208.10.249 gs.apple.com
    save it and reboots your pc
    Now do the Shift + Restore to 4.0.1 ipsw

and if on a mac?

ok did that...now what?
    Last edited by afkafm; 2010-10-06 at 03:48 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

You're using a 3G right and not a 3Gs? If it's a 3G, all you need to do is to download the stock firmware of the firmware version that you want to downgrade to. You can download it here iClarified - iPhone - Where To Download iPhone Firmware Files From or from the download section of this site ModMyi Forums - Downloads - Firmware

Once you have downloaded the firmware. Just restore your 3G by pressing Shift and clicking on the Restore Button in iTunes.

Once you have successfully downgraded the phone to a jailbreakable firmware version (4.0.1 and below). Just go to jailbreakme.com and slide to jailbreak.

Quote Originally Posted by azraeil View Post
    You're using a 3G right and not a 3Gs? If it's a 3G, all you need to do is to download the stock firmware of the firmware version that you want to downgrade to. You can download it here iClarified - iPhone - Where To Download iPhone Firmware Files From or from the download section of this site ModMyi Forums - Downloads - Firmware

Once you have downloaded the firmware. Just restore your 3G by pressing Shift and clicking on the Restore Button in iTunes.

Once you have successfully downgraded the phone to a jailbreakable firmware version (4.0.1 and below). Just go to jailbreakme.com and slide to jailbreak.
    I think you're going to be out of luck, you do need SHSH files for a 3G, but it's worth downloading tinyumbrella and seeing if you do have any SHSH files on store before giving up. Go to the advanced options and try to "Save SHSH" for each firmware option for 3G.

If you do manage to downgrade and jailbreak then Fuzzyband can downgrade the baseband in a limited no. of 3G's. You should reasearch that too to see if yours is one that it can work on.

yeah i have 5.09 and not 5.08 so fuzzyband wont work sigh...and tried the umbrella thing and didnt work either....just awful tbh

Quote Originally Posted by azraeil View Post

Just tells me it is incompatible when I try an older firmware.
    Last edited by afkafm; 2010-10-06 at 07:13 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Yeah, you cant downgrade without SHSH.

If I were you I'd sell it on eBay as carrier locked and get a new one.

Hmm and I thought all 3G can be downgraded using the Shift+Restore method. My bad. Sorry for that.