Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Couple of questions for my iPod Touch

Default Couple of questions for my iPod Touch
    Hi, just new here and to the iPhone/iTouch Jailbreaking scene so I got a couple of questions that I want to clarify.

1.) Is there a newly released custom firmware iOS 4 for the iPod Touch 3G?

2.) I just did a jailbreak on my iPod Touch 3G 3.1.3 using Spirit, now will I be able to use another jailbreaking method (let's say, blackra1n) in the future? I wanna know because there might be a new Sn0wbreeze that supports iPod Touch 3G.

3.) If I can't use another jailbreaking method, what's the next best thing to do?

Thanks
    Thanked 17,645 Times in 8,025 Posts

iPod touch 3g cannot use custom firmwares right now. Once the new jailbreak comes out you should be able to use that.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by gowithdaflow View Post
    Hi, just new here and to the iPhone/iTouch Jailbreaking scene so I got a couple of questions that I want to clarify.

1.) Is there a newly released custom firmware iOS 4 for the iPod Touch 3G?

2.) I just did a jailbreak on my iPod Touch 3G 3.1.3 using Spirit, now will I be able to use another jailbreaking method (let's say, blackra1n) in the future? I wanna know because there might be a new Sn0wbreeze that supports iPod Touch 3G.

3.) If I can't use another jailbreaking method, what's the next best thing to do?
    1) No, not yet. Pwnagetool and sn0wbreeze will probably both be updated to take advantage of the SHAtter exploit to get a custom firmware onto LLB-size-checking bootroms (like the iPT3G) soon.

2) You will be able to use the SHAtter exploit with (probably) multiple tools soon. However, you will need to restore to a fresh copy of firmware before you can re-jailbreak.

3) Feel free to update to 4.1/4.2 when the new jailbreaks are ready (whichever is the most current firmware version when SHAtter launches, 4.2 is coming soonish) and use greenpois0n or something to jailbreak if you wish to update firmwares. Spirit oughta be sufficient in the meantime however.

PS: Does Cydia on your device say SHSH:... and have at least iOS 4.1 at the top of the main page? That'll be a big help when the time comes to re-break.