Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: iPhone 3Gs Stuck in DFU mode (Spirit2Pwn)

Default iPhone 3Gs Stuck in DFU mode (Spirit2Pwn)
    About a week ago, I've read stuff about being able to jailbreak 4.1 so I decided to update. On the jailbreak guide it said that I had to download and install Spirit2Pwn on Cydia because I jailbroke 3.1.3 with Spirit. So I installed it, then my iPhone turns blank. I can't turn it on nothing. I read online that this is a DFU loop and the only way to fix it is by taking out the battery out or waiting it to drain.

It's been one week since I've waited and I'm getting frustrated. Does anyone know any other method that I could use to get it out of DFU mode?(I've tried restoring to 3.1.3, 4.0, 4.1, etc.). They all give me error 28 or 1600.
    Also, how can I tell if the battery is completely drained?

IF it ever drains, and it doesn't work, what can I do next?

Thanks
    Thanked 2,764 Times in 2,652 Posts

It will work, make sure it is completely drained

Leave it on for a couple of days, turn it on but looks like off, actually dfu mode. I think 5 to 7 days depending how much charge is in there

When you are able to restore, make sure you don't restore to 4.1 or u will be locked out.
    Last edited by iYeow; 2010-10-04 at 07:46 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Gotta love those random iphone blogs who post guides when they don't know **** about what they're writing about.
    We're all just toymakers in the game of life.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by dhamien View Post
    Gotta love those random iphone blogs who post guides when they don't know **** about what they're writing about.
    Quote Originally Posted by yeow202 View Post
    It will work, make sure it is completely drained

Leave it on for a couple of days, turn it on but looks like off, actually dfu mode. I think 5 to 7 days depending how much charge is in there

When you are able to restore, make sure you don't restore to 4.1 or u will be locked out.
    Both quoted for truth.

PS: If you don't want to wait and are comfortable opening your iPhone and irrevocably voiding any semblance of a warranty your phone may have, you can manually disconnect your battery from your logic board for an hour or so with the same effect as letting it drain completely. IIRC the battery is NOT soldered to the board on 3GS units, so it shouldn't be too messy (though it is glued down, be careful using the plastic pull-tab on the battery sleeve).

Again, only attempt opening and disconnecting your phone's battery if you're comfortable with dealing with the guts of your iPhone, don't mind voiding your warranty, and are aware that an electrostatic shock can permanently short-circuit the device.

Thanks

The idea of removing the battery supply completely from the motherboard was just my logical thinking, I haven't really tested myself but it works, so I gained educational experience through the members doing, I am not saying i am using them as Guinea Pig testing but helping them to achieve their goals
    Last edited by iYeow; 2010-10-05 at 03:56 AM.

I've waited 2 weeks. It still won't work. What can I do now? should I take it to AT&T

Thanks

If it is under warranty , why not go for it.

Thanks
    Thanked 17,645 Times in 8,025 Posts

I have personally done it on someone's phone and it did work. I suggest researching how to take it apart or find someone who is comfortable doing it. It is actually a lot easier than you would think.

Retired Moderator
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,202 Times in 1,924 Posts

It really is easy. You just have to be careful not to rip a ribbon. It's pretty durable tho. Just gotta make sure you keep track of which screw goes where, some are slightly longer than others. Take it to Apple first if it's under warranty, if they won't fix it for some reason, you can try opening it up. It's really not too bad compared to other phones I've tried opening up.

I have the same issue... 3gs tried to go to 4.1 from 4.0.1 jailbreakme.com. My phone keeps getting the error 2002 when trying to restore. I took the battery out for about 5 hours, still getting same result.

Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by 316hepster View Post
    I have the same issue... 3gs tried to go to 4.1 from 4.0.1 jailbreakme.com. My phone keeps getting the error 2002 when trying to restore. I took the battery out for about 5 hours, still getting same result.

Anyone have any ideas?
    Error 28 is not the same as error 2002 so taking out the battery will not solve your problem.
    Check if you have the latest itunes installed because IOS 4.1 needs Itunes 10 , not just 9.2.
    How did you apply your jailbreak, which method ?

Default Stuck in DFU?
    Hi Guys,

There is a small ray of hope to people that has an iPhone 3GS old bootrom who foolishly believed redmonpie's Spirit2Pwn solution to upgrade to 4.1.

However, it does require you to have your 4.0.1 SHSH blobs saved in Cydia.

I have had my 3GS stuck in DFU mode since last night, So I scoured around for a solution and like most of you guys and it seems that a lot of people were suckered by spirit2pwn and finally accepted that I'd have to open my phone.

I left the phone overnight, and in the morning of course, its still in DFU (coz the battery was full the noght before). But then, I decided to simply restore my iOS to 4.0.1. I changed my host file to "74.208.10.249 gs.apple.com" then crossed my fingers and updated my phone with a 4.0.1 ipsw.

Then by a miracle, the phone turned white screen, rebooted, and went through the update process!, I've just jailbreakme the phone just now, and trying to update to 4.1 via jbme2pwn, so wish me luck.

Restarted computer and iTunes restored my 3GS to 4.1. Then I jb'd with limera1n.com. All is well once again!!!

It's been 3 weeks and it's still not working. How long does it take to drain the damn battery?!?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by acek1llz View Post
    It's been 3 weeks and it's still not working. How long does it take to drain the damn battery?!?
    Are you getting error 28 ?

If it is not error 28, draining battery will not help.
    Last edited by iYeow; 2010-10-16 at 03:43 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

what about error 1618? cuz thats what im getting.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by acek1llz View Post
    what about error 1618? cuz thats what im getting.
    Error 1618 is something else , you cannot solve it by draining the battery.

If you tell me what exactly you are doing, maybe I can help you.

Check list : Itunes has to be the latest which is 10 if you want to go for 4.1
    Last edited by iYeow; 2010-10-16 at 07:42 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

My iPhone is currently in 3.1.3, and I can't even turn it on or power it. I try to restore to 4.1 or 3.1.3 and it gives me the error. I thought that I could solve it by draining my battery, but apparently I can't? What can I do? Help me please.

Thanks

Do you have the latest iTunes installed. Put it un recovery mode and restore. Check your hosts is pointed to apple since apple is still signing 4.1.

I'm still getting the same error with updated iTunes. My hosts files are
    #127.0.0.1 gs.apple.com
    74.208.10.249 gs.apple.com
    #74.208.10.249 gs.apple.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast