Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Downgrading to 3.1.x without SHSH blobs - will it ever be possible?

Default Downgrading to 3.1.x without SHSH blobs - will it ever be possible?
    I understood that MB models don't need SHSH files in order to downgrade from iOS 4 back to 3.1.x, you just need a custom ipsw. Is that right?

Well... I have a bad feeling that I've fallen into oblivion forever with iOS 4 - I'm currently using a jailbroken iPhone 3GS MC with 4.0.1 firmware, but for some reason I don't own any 3.1.2 or 3.1.3 SHSH files on Cydia. Thus, the downgrading process is rendered impossible. Amirite?

BUT! If the SHSH-less downgrading is possible on the old bootrom, why it wouldn't be on the new one? How the new bootrom exactly affects the process?
    1Hz

Retired Moderator
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,202 Times in 1,924 Posts

On a 3GS, MB or MC do not determine the new or old boot. You'd wanna google how to find out what boot version you have.

You can't downgrade any 3GS without SHSHs. Custom firmwares only work if your phone is jailbroken already with a non-userland jb.

Quote Originally Posted by Anniex423;5484657 begin_of_the_skype_highlighting**************54846 57******end_of_the_skype_highlighting
    On a 3GS, MB or MC do not determine the new or old boot. You'd wanna google how to find out what boot version you have.

You can't downgrade any 3GS without SHSHs. Custom firmwares only work if your phone is jailbroken already with a non-userland jb.
    Do you think it will be possible sometime?

So, a 3GS can't be downgraded EVEN with a custom firmware, assuming that the phone has been jailbroken with a non-userland jb?
    1Hz

A 3Gs can only be downgraded if you have ShSHS blobs saved either locally or in Cydia.

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

If you have a non-userland jailbroken 3GS with the old bootrom, you can restore to a custom firmware of any version. Custom firmwares skip the SHSH signing process.

Just curious though, why would you want to downgrade to 3.x on a 3GS?
    We're all just toymakers in the game of life.

Retired Moderator
    Thanks

Considering the circumstances, stock iOS 4 can only be jb with jailbreakme. This is a userland jb. So if the only jb on stock iOS 4 for a 3GS is jailbreakme, that means there is no ability to restore to a custom fw. Therefor SHSHs are needed to get back down to 3.1.x to use a non-userland jb to utilize the ability to restore to a custom 4.x fw.

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Anniex423 View Post
    Considering the circumstances, stock iOS 4 can only be jb with jailbreakme. This is a userland jb. So if the only jb on stock iOS 4 for a 3GS is jailbreakme, that means there is no ability to restore to a custom fw. Therefor SHSHs are needed to get back down to 3.1.x to use a non-userland jb to utilize the ability to restore to a custom 4.x fw.
    SHAtter is close by. Also, look into jbme2pwn. Supposedly it allows CFWs from a jailbreakme.com jailbroken old bootrom phone on 4.0/4.0.1

Retired Moderator
    Thanks

I've heard of jbme2pwn but have yet to hear success stories with that. I've only seen it with spirit2pwn for spirit users. Can you verify for me the jbme2pwn is working well so I can recommend to others?

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Well, to be honest I can't verify it with as much certainty as I'd like. I've read random success stories but none of the long threads with lots of users.

The thoroughness of the description in this post iH8sn0w's Forums • View topic - Spirit2pwn help - 3GS Old Bootrom stuck on DFU Loop does make me believe that it actually did work for him.

The posts I've read about failure with jbme2pwn, I suspect, comes from attempting it on new bootrom phones.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to dhamien For This Useful Post:

i.Annie (2010-10-02)

Retired Moderator
    Thanks

That makes sense. That's how people brick their Spirit'd phone. By installing Spirit2pwn on a new boot phone. Alright, got it. Thanks for the info.

I have iPhone 3Gs (old bootrom, 359.3) with jailbroken iOS 4.0.1(JailbreakMe).
    I tried to downgrade to 3.1.2 without having SHSHs for 3.1.2.
    jbme2pwn - is installed, I have created CFW for 3.1.2 with Sn0wbreeze, tried to restore. No success: error 16**

So, how can I downgrade to 3.1.2, for example?
    Should I try to update with Sn0wbreeze(because of "userland" story) to CFW 4.1, then downgrade to CFW 3.1.2.
    Or I should wait for Greenpois0n for 4.1, then do the same, above?

_EDIT---2nd_try---_

SUCCESS! Successfully downgraded from 4.0.1 to 3.1.2 my 3Gs without SHSHs. You had to put your iDevice into "Recovery Mode" NOT into "DFU Mode", very important, otherwise you get error 1600!
    Last edited by eldar134; 2010-10-03 at 01:45 AM.

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by eldar134 View Post
    I have iPhone 3Gs (old bootrom, 359.3) with jailbroken iOS 4.0.1(JailbreakMe).
    I tried to downgrade to 3.1.2 without having SHSHs for 3.1.2.
    jbme2pwn - is installed, I have created CFW for 3.1.2 with Sn0wbreeze, tried to restore. No success: error 16**

So, how can I downgrade to 3.1.2, for example?
    Should I try to update with Sn0wbreeze(because of "userland" story) to CFW 4.1, then downgrade to CFW 3.1.2.
    Or I should wait for Greenpois0n for 4.1, then do the same, above?

_EDIT---2nd_try---_

SUCCESS! Successfully downgraded from 4.0.1 to 3.1.2 my 3Gs without SHSHs. You had to put your iDevice into "Recovery Mode" NOT into "DFU Mode", very important, otherwise you get error 1600!
    Nice to see another success story with jbme2pwn. Yes, the most common cause of 160x error is trying to restore a custom firmware from DFU mode.