Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Jailbreak a 3G with 3.1.3?

Default Jailbreak a 3G with 3.1.3?
    So I have 3GS with 4.0 and jailbroke successfully on jailbreakme.com. Love the themes and misc.

My gf has a 3G with 3.1.3. We don't want to upgrade to 4.0. We did it before and it made her phone super sluggish. The apple care folks told us that 4.0 doesn't work well with 3G and we got a new phone(different reason).

My question is, can we jailbreak her phone with her os @ 3.1.3?

Will it make her phone sluggish?

Primary reason for jailbreak: she wants themes too. Can she get the background images on a 3G if it's jailbroken?

Finally, what is this shshblog I am reading about? Do I need this for my 3GS?

Thank you

2. The Following User Says Thank You to RyanRams For This Useful Post:

Mt3b (2010-10-01)

Retired Moderator
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,202 Times in 1,924 Posts

You won't need SHSHs to restore to 3.1.3.

You can jb 3.1.3 with Redsn0w 0.9.4. Point at 3.1.2 ipsw.

3.1.3 runs very nicely on a 3G phone.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to i.Annie For This Useful Post:

RyanRams (2010-10-01)

Thanks

I'm on 3.1.3 on my iPhone 3G and it runs great. Granted, performance will slow down a bit, but not too much, if you install a bunch of themes and tweaks. Keep it to a minimum and you'll be fine.

So to answer your backgroud question, yes you can get custom backgrounds and themes when you jailbreak. Make it look all cool!

Download winterboard for theming and bosspaper for custom backgrounds.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to dotFIVE For This Useful Post:

RyanRams (2010-10-01)

Can I use jailbreakme.com for her phone? I'm not familiar with redsnow

Yes. You can use jailbreakme for her phone.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to azraeil For This Useful Post:

RyanRams (2010-10-01)

Retired Moderator
    Thanks

Jailbreakme is just fine. I have a habit of recommending Redsn0w just because that's what I've always used on my old 3G

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Anniex423 View Post
    Jailbreakme is just fine. I have a habit of recommending Redsn0w just because that's what I've always used on my old 3G
    Same.

If you want to go the redsn0w method, here's a good walkthrough:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rMU9GlIXgRs

Ignore the statements about not being to unlock, you can as long as you have a compatible baseband.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by dotFIVE View Post
    Same.

If you want to go the redsn0w method, here's a good walkthrough:
    YouTube - 3.1.3 Jailbreak/Unlock Iphone 2g, 3g & Ipod Touch 1st gen and 2nd gen with Redsnow

Ignore the statements about not being to unlock, you can as long as you have a compatible baseband.
    As long as that phone has never seen iOS 4.1, then it'll be unlockable. ultrasn0w in Cydia (default repo ultrasn0w.com) will hook you up.

OP, I'd actually recommend Spirit for the 3G on 3.1.3, seems to be a touch more stable (key word "touch", might just be 3.1.3 stock being more stable by itself than 4.0 stock). Though JBme should work just fine.

I also have a 3G and I tried 2 jb my phone and it froze up on me. So then I restored it to factory settings and it automatically updated it 2 4.1 and now I cnt jb!! Any ideas as I'm new to all this and dnt no half the stuff ur talkin abt.. Thanks

Also wen I go to jailbreakme, it sayin welp an sayin abt the update I have that I cnt use it. What would happen if I just went ahead with it? Stupid question I no but I'm an impatient guy!! Lol
    Last edited by Fat face07; 2010-10-03 at 12:12 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Drinks the Kool Aid Captinsmooth's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Fat face07 View Post
    I also have a 3G and I tried 2 jb my phone and it froze up on me. So then I restored it to factory settings and it automatically updated it 2 4.1 and now I cnt jb!! Any ideas as I'm new to all this and dnt no half the stuff ur talkin abt.. Thanks

Also wen I go to jailbreakme, it sayin welp an sayin abt the update I have that I cnt use it. What would happen if I just went ahead with it? Stupid question I no but I'm an impatient guy!! Lol

You can downgrade your 3g to 3.1.3 and jb it.
    This post infers no rights and is provided as is.

Click here to follow me on twitter

Quote Originally Posted by Captinsmooth View Post
    You can downgrade your 3g to 3.1.3 and jb it.
    Yeah cheers for that... But how do you do it? I've bin tryin now for days and it ain't half anoying!! It's just my luck that I always have the problems and have to go the long way round

Retired Moderator
    Thanks

You just get a stock 3.1.x ipsw and shift+restore to it

Quote Originally Posted by Anniex423 View Post
    You just get a stock 3.1.x ipsw and shift+restore to it
    How do I do that? As I say I'm new to this and nt that clued up. It is possible for me to do it? Or should I give my phone to sum1 who knows what they are doing?

Connect your 3G to iTunes. Press the Shift key on the Keyboard and click on Restore on iTunes.

A window will pop-up asking you to select the ipsw file (which is the stock 3.1.x firmware that you downloaded). Select that file and you're good to go.

Before doing this, make sure you download the required stock firmware ..... you can get it here

http://www.iclarified.com/entry/index.php?enid=750

or the Download section of this site.

In doing that. Do I jus click the site off my phone? I have just tried and it say cannot download through safari. Plus I dnt understand the terms you are using. I'm abit thick lol speak to me like a 3year old and I'm fine. Lol. Sorry for the mithering peeps!

Retired Moderator
    Thanks

Download the 3.1.3 ipsw from the downloads section here on MMi.

Go to iTunes when it finishes downloading (note where it is saved), then hold shift and click restore. Select the 3.1.3 ipsw to restore.

Quote Originally Posted by Fat face07 View Post
    In doing that. Do I jus click the site off my phone? I have just tried and it say cannot download through safari. Plus I dnt understand the terms you are using. I'm abit thick lol speak to me like a 3year old and I'm fine. Lol. Sorry for the mithering peeps!
    Okay, here's the layman terms for your case.

Step 1 - Download the stock 3.1.3

1. Use your PC/Mac or Laptop to do this. Use either the Firefox browser or the Internet Explorer to download the file from iClarified - iPhone - Where To Download iPhone Firmware Files From or the Download Section of MMi ModMyi Forums - Downloads - Firmware

2. Make sure you download the correct version for your phone (i.e. don't download the 3Gs version or the iPhone 4 version if your iPhone is a 3G)

3. Save the file in your PC. If it is downloaded as a zip file, just change the name to an ipsw file (i.e. xxxx.zip to xxxx.ipsw)

Step 2 - Downgrade your iPhone

1. Open up iTunes on your PC/Mac
    2. Connect your iPhone 3G
    3. If using a PC (Windows) then Press the Shift Key and Click on Restore in iTunes
    4. If using a Mac, Press the alt (Option) key and click on Restore in iTunes

You're good to go.

Hope that is clear enough for you.

When renaming the file, do I put the xxxx?

Haha my mistake I dnt fink you are ment to put xxxx any where are you

When I download the file it saying (iphone1,2.31.3_7e18_restore) it is also zipped. So where do I put the ISpw? Is it possible u cud show me thanx az
    Last edited by Fat face07; 2010-10-03 at 12:25 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

FF07,

This is an example of what I mean when I say you need to rename the file

iPhone2,1_4.0_8A293_Restore.zip - renamed to iPhone2,1_4.0_8A293_Restore.ipsw

If you cannot see the file extension, then you may need to go into Windows Explorer and go to Tools --> Folder Opetions --> Click on the View Tab --> Uncheck the box called "Hide Extensions of known File Types" and press OK

You should now see all files with extension such as Word Documents.docx or Excel Documents.xlsx

Hope that helps.

Bk again az cheers for help but still no joy. I done wot u said and when it's installing a mess comes up saying error. 1003 or sumthin like that. I just fink jb ain't for me!! Had nothing but trouble. Been tryin for 3 days nw

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast