Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: 3GS on 4.0.2 question about downgrading

Default 3GS on 4.0.2 question about downgrading
    Hey, I bought an iPhone 3GS and it arrived today. It was advertised as being 4.0.1 but turned up with 4.0.2 installed.

This is a third-hand phone so I have no idea if it's got SHSH blobs saved by the original owner.

I'm tempted to try the downgrade trick where you edit the ipsw files in case the SHSH blobs have been saved, however I don't know what happens to the phone if this doesn't work.

If the process fails, can you get the phone back to 4.0.2 or will it only let you restore to the current firmware? Obviously I don't want to let it go to 4.1 and upgrade the baseband.

Is there another way to find out if the phone has SHSH blobs saved? Like with TinyUmbrella or some other software? The phone is not jailbroken on 4.0.2 so I'm not sure what to do.

Thanks

Yep try tiny umbrella and in advanced click on cydia and display shsh will tell you what shsh blobs cydia has.
    1Slyguy

1. Download Tiny Umbrella The Firmware Umbrella
    2. Run Tiny Umbrella (usually takes 20-30 seconds to actually run ... on my old XP machine anyway)
    3. Connect your iPhone in bootable state (make sure your iPhone is on basically)
    4. Click Advance
    5. TU would have recognized your ECID
    6. Pull down the SHSH version option and select either 4.0.1/4.0.0/3.1.3/3.1.2
    7. Select Cydia as the repo (it's usually defaulted to Cydia but who knows)
    8. Click "Saved my SHSHs" and pray ...
    9. If it says you have any of the SHSHs version stored in Cydia ... than you're good to go for downgrading.