Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Downrgade 3GS from 4.1 to 3.2

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    Default Downrgade 3GS from 4.1 to 3.2
    Hi,

I have a previously jailbroken(through blackra1n) 3gs which i enjoyed for 6 months or so. I had CYDIA and on the cydia homepage it said i had SHSH blobs... (whatever that means...)
    I upgraded to 4.1 and lost my jailbreak. I have since had my iphone factory unlocked by apple.I did not back anything up on my comp - i have windows vista.. and if im not mistaken the newest version of itunes.
    PLEASE could someone help me downgrade STEP BY STEP (i have read up on it but simply do not understand how to or if my specific case enables me to do so, excuse my ignorance!!!,and yes speak to me like i a 5year old) as to enable me to jailbreak...Also, will the unlock stay?

David

2. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to svi322 For This Useful Post:

Adammlovee (2010-09-29), Addmich (2010-09-29), Akoch (2010-10-06), Christian5 (2010-09-30), Edwro (2010-10-03), James l (2010-09-29), Love_youelias (2010-10-07), Ludo kierkels (2010-10-05), oarce12 (2010-10-09), RAXOR0 (2010-10-07)

Start by downloading tinyumbrella, connect your phone and go to advanced options. Go through each firmware version for the 3GS and see what SHSH files you've actually got saved.

Ohh dear ... here goes.

Since your phone is factory unlocked then you do not need to worry about an unlock and since you're already on the latest baseband, then ultrasn0w unlock won't work anyway.

To Jailbreak, you will need to downgrade the firmware from your current 4.1 to a lower version such as 4.0.1 or 3.1.2 (since you had jailbroken your device with Blackrain before). Again, since you already have a factory unlocked phone, then all you need is a jailbreak and 4.0.1 firmware should suffice.

About SHSH blobs, since Apple implemented this signing server thing for the 3Gs, it has been difficult to downgrade the firmware. Once Apple comes out with a new firmware, the Empire will refuse to sign the older firmwares. Currently Apple only signs firmware 4.1. This is where the SHSHs blobs that cydia saved/stored comes into play. If Cydia has stored SHSHs blobs (think of it as a signature file or those trusted certificate file which contains information specific to your iDevice) for Firmwwares lower than 4.1 such as 4.0.2/4.0.1/3.1.3/3.1.2 then you can downgrade your iDevice firmware to THAT particular version.

The trick is to trick iTunes into going to Cydia/local server instead of Apple.

So what do you need?

1. You need the necessary version of SHSHs for your iDevice

How do you know what version Cydia has stored or how to get those SHSHs saved locally to your computer>

1. Download Tiny Umbrella The Firmware Umbrella

What do I do with this Tiny Umbrella?

1. Run Tiny Umbrella - make sure port 80 is not used. Closed all IMs (Skype, YM, Nimbuzz etc etc) and also if you're using a proxy server, don't use it as it might be messing with port 80.
    2. Connect your iDevice in Bootable state (make sure your iPhone is on basically)
    3. Click on Advance - Tiny Umbrella would have recognized the ECID for your iDevice so don't worry too much about it
    4. Pull down the SHSHs version that you would like to verify whether it is stored in Cydia (in your case it should be something like iPhone 3Gs 4.0.1 (8xxxx)
    5. Make sure the repository selected is Cydia and not Apple
    6. Click on the "Saved my SHSHs"
    7. If the 4.0.1 SHSHs was stored in Cydia, then Tiny Umbrella will extract it from Cydia and saved it in your local machine. In Windows it should be in c:/Documents and Settings/userX/.shsh folder . If you cannot find it just do a search for files with .shsh extensions.

So what do I do with my SHSHs blobs?

1. With this blobs comes great power and with great power comes great responsibility .... naahhhh ... just pulling your leg

You can do 2 things

1. Point iTunes to go to Cydia (since you have confirmed that Cydia has the necessary SHSHs stored in its server)
    2. Point iTunes to your locally saved SHSH file that Tiny Umbrella has extracted from Cydia -- I will explain this method as I mentioned in various posts is the method that I prefer (it's a bit tedious but you are in complete control of the process). With Method 1, Cydia might be down and you'd be screaming in frustration not knowing why the downgrade does not work.

So how do I do Method 2 (pointing iTunes to go to the local file?)

1. You need to edit the host file and therefore you need to do this as an administrator
    2. Go to C:/Windows/system32/drivers/etc/host
    3. Open the host file with Wordpad
    4. Add a line at the bottom of the host file with this information
    127.0.0.1 gs.apple.com
    5. Save the file.
    6. Flush the DNS

Say what?

1. Flush the DNS by going to terminal (Click on Start --> Run --> Type cmd
    2. In the command prompt window type ipconfig /flushdns

Okay done .... what should I do next?

1. We need to trick iTunes to go to the local server
    2. Run Tiny Umbrella
    3. Click on Start TSS Server (it will say that it's listening to connections which is a cue for you to run your iTunes)

Now what?

1. You must put the iPhone in DFU mode

What is that?

1. Connect your iPhone to the computer. Press the Home and the Sleep button for 10 seconds (count it ... 1 Mississippi 2 ... you get the drift). Once the screen goes dark, release the sleep button BUT keep on holding the Home button.
    2. iTunes will say that it has found an iPhone in Recovery Mode and you should restore the phone ... you're good to go.

What do I do next?

1. You need to downgrade the phone with the stock iPhone 3Gs 4.0.1 firmware. You can download it here http://www.iclarified.com/entry/index.php?enid=750 or from this website Download section. Ohh, if it downloaded as a zip file just rename the extension from zip to ipsw (i.e. xxxx.zip to xxxxx.ipsw)

Done. What should I do next

1. MAKE SURE you press the Shift key and press the Restore button in iTunes
    2. A Window will open asking you to choose the firmware file you want to restore the iPhone to. Choose the ipsw file you downloaded previously

Done! Your phone should be restored to a Jailbreakable firmware.

I got an error message! (Most likely the 1015 error message) - Do not worry, this is expected since the baseband is higher than what the firmware expects it to be.

So what should I do?

1. The device will most likely be in Recovery Mode (the one with the USB Cable and iTunes Logo).
    2. Use Tiny Umbrella again and press the button "Kick Device out of Recovery" and you should be good to go

Since your iPhone is Factory Unlocked (did I mentioned how lucky you are? If I didn't then boy you're damn lucky!) it should be able to Activate the iPhone with whatever Simcard you use (T-Mobile/AT&T etc etc)

So I have 4.0.1 now, it's not Jailbroken

Not yet but it will be!

1. Set your iPhone to connect to the Internet (Wifi/3G ... whatever works for you)
    2. Open Safari on the iPhone
    3. Go to jailbreakme.com
    4. Click on the Slider that Says "Slide to Jailbreak" -- isn't that darn cool?
    5. Wait for it ..... wait for it ......
    6. Your iPhone is now Jailbroken ..... give yourself a pat in the back as you have escaped the Dark Empire's grip of controlling what you can have on your fully paid factory unlocked device.

Sorry for the long post ... it took me 20 minutes to write it and if it works for you ... Please press the Thank You button ...

Phew!

5. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to azraeil For This Useful Post:

Bongjeezy (2010-10-07), colonluis22 (2010-10-02), CUBANO69 (2010-10-08), Jedeoki (2010-09-29), KingDan (2010-09-29), Madelene1 (2010-09-28), savo18 (2010-10-04), svi322 (2010-09-27)

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    Thanks azraeil,

So i followed but i got an error 3002 from Itunes?

At what point in the tutorial above are you getting the 3002 error? I'm assuming it's right after you click Shift + Restore?

I think I got this error before and it could be that the phone is in Recovery mode instead of DFU mode or the other way around.

hey azraeil...thanks for that!

just one question: i read somewhere that tinyumbrella will only work on a 32 bit operating system? I keep getting an error:
    "no jvm could be found on your system. please define EXEFJ_java_home to point to an installed 32 bit JDK or JRE or download a JRE from java.com: Java + You

thanks!

nevet, that could be the case but I cannot confirm that. I remembered having the same Java issue when I was trying to install TU on my sister's 64 bit laptop, ended up with installing it on my brother's netbook (which I assume is a 32 bit unit). The laptop I have at home is a 32 bit XP so yeah, the 64 bit could be an issue.

However, I have read a lot of posts with people installing it on their Windows 7 64 bit so ... I'm not sure.

Have you tried installing Java from java.com: Java + You?

Thanks

Azraeil,

I have a 3GS now I jailbroke it with jaulbreakme.com, was well. Unfortunately my phone was upgraded to 4.1 by mistake (long story). My question is how can I get my sshh files from cydia to downgrade so I can jb it again? If all I have to do is follow the instructions above sorry for wasting your time. But thanks anyway.

Hi Azraeil....

Many Many Many Thanks.....Tried it workss !!

Can I marry you...hahahaha...I am really damm happy....Muaks

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Fullofjoy For This Useful Post:

lashore678 (2010-10-02)

King Dan, just download Tiny Umbrella and check to see if your 4.0.1 SHSHs is stored in Cydia. If it is stored, then follow my post.

Fullofjoy, glad to hear it works for you. Don't forget the Thanks button (though your post is good enough for me actually)

14. The Following User Says Thank You to azraeil For This Useful Post:

Fullofjoy (2010-09-28)

Hey Az,

I have another issues...all my app that I downloaded from Apptrackr ...can sync back into my Iphone ? What happen ?

FOJ, check your PM.

Lesson learned from all this downgrade issue is, Save your SHSHs whenever any new firmware is out. Use Tiny Umbrella to save it to Cydia or even Locally.

I just saved my 4.1 SHSH today (just in case the 4.1 JB is out and Apple responds by coming out with 4.1.1) ....

Cydia will most likely get the 4.1 SHSH automatically but using Tiny Umbrella gives you more control.

That reminds me, should visit semaphore's blog and donate some paypal to the genius.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    azrail,

I keep getting the same 3002 error no matter what?

Any other ideas?

Quote Originally Posted by azraeil View Post
    FOJ, check your PM.
    Lesson learned from all this downgrade issue is, Save your SHSHs whenever any new firmware is out. Use Tiny Umbrella to save it to Cydia or even Locally.

I just saved my 4.1 SHSH today (just in case the 4.1 JB is out and Apple responds by coming out with 4.1.1) ....

Cydia will most likely get the 4.1 SHSH automatically but using Tiny Umbrella gives you more control.

That reminds me, should visit semaphore's blog and donate some paypal to the genius.

Do we need to upgrade to 4.1 then save shsh,then downgrade back and rejail break?Or will cydia allready have our new 4.1 shsh?
    Thanks for helping,
    1Slyguy

19. The Following User Says Thank You to 1slyguy For This Useful Post:

Addmich (2010-09-29)

No. No need to upgrade to save the 4.1 SHSH. As Apple only signs 4.1 at the moment, you can save the 4.1 SHSH even when you are on 3.0 firmware. So DO NOT upgrade just to save your blobs

svi322, I googled error 3002 and most of them mentions something to do about pressing Restore instead of Update in iTunes.

I remembered getting this error message before when I was trying to upgrade a friend's 3Gs using the custom firmware. I had his 3Gs on DFU mode instead of Recovery Mode (the one where the iPhone is on the iTunes Logo and a USB cable trying to connect to it).

You might want to give that a try.

Other than that, what I would do is to make sure that host file is correct. Usually after using TU and starting the TSS server, TU will automatically put a hash mark in front of the 127.0.0.1 gs.apple.com (i.e. #127.0.0.1 gs.apple.com). So everytime you start/stop the TSS server (in case the 1st try failed), just make sure you re-edit your host file and remove the # in front of the IP address.

If all else fails, change to another USB port or try this method on another computer (you can copy the SHSH file on a USB stick ... once using the new computer, just drag the SHSH file over the TU window and it should say that it has one SHSH on file).

Hope that helps.
    Last edited by azraeil; 2010-09-29 at 06:11 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

21. The Following User Says Thank You to azraeil For This Useful Post:

svi322 (2010-09-29)

Thanks

KUDOS!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks! And I hit the thanks tab! How can I get my contacts and Pics back or am I screwed on that one?
    In ancient China there is a legend that one day a child will be born from a dragon, grow to be a man, and vanquish evil from the land. That man is not Chuck Norris, because Chuck Norris killed that man.

KingDan, just restore your backup via iTunes and you should get your contacts/SMS and all the settings (wifi/3G etc etc) back on the phone.

Great to know that it works for you!

Thanks

My Back up on Itunes was 4.1 so I had restore as a new phone or was I mistaking there?
    In ancient China there is a legend that one day a child will be born from a dragon, grow to be a man, and vanquish evil from the land. That man is not Chuck Norris, because Chuck Norris killed that man.

I'm not sure if 4.1 and 4.0.1 is compatible or not. I will give it a 90% chance that it is compatible. I know that iOS4 and iOS3.x is not compatible but for iOS4, I think it is compatible.

I restored a backup for my friend who upgraded to 4.0.2 and I downgraded his phone to 4.0 and just restored the backup. Works without any issue.

Thanks

I'll give it a shot....

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast