Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: 3GS 4.0.1 (sidegrade) restore possible?

Unhappy 3GS 4.0.1 (sidegrade) restore possible?
    I'll try to keep this concise.

The phone:
    I've got a 3GS. I jailbroke it when I got it on 3.0. Read an incorrect tutorial in July and upgraded to 4.0.1. I had to wait three weeks for a jailbreak; jailbroke it again via jailbreakme.com when that came out. I've got all my SHSH blobs saved (up to 4.0.1). So before all this happened, it was jailbroken on 4.0.1.

I installed a program on Cydia last night (Homescreen 2.0) which threw it into safe mode. It wouldn't exit safe mode, even after I uninstalled the offender. I downloaded SHSH blob for 4.0.1, put it in DFU mode, changed hosts file to 127.0.0.1 gs.apple.com, opened TinyUmbrella's TSS server, opened iTunes, pointed my shift-click restore to the downloaded iPhone2,1_4.0.1_8A306_Restore.ipsw, and got error 1601.

I've also tried using 3.1.2, tried setting the hosts to 74.208.10.249 (Saurik's), tried sn0wbreezing the phone first (which I didn't think would work, since it was broken on jailbreakme)... and nothing works. Now it either has a white screen (after failure to update with error 1601) or it's in DFU mode. I can't do anything else.

I just want to restore it to some form where I can jailbreak it again. I know greenp0ison is due out, but until then, 4.1 is a no-no, right? What to do? Did I miss some key step? The only error I get is 1601. Not 1500, 3200 or whatever... same thing. Every time.

Addendum: Nothing seems to find the iPhone except for iTunes. So RecBoot and TinyUmbrella don't see it and thus, I can't use them to kick it out of whatever mode it's in.
    Last edited by KellyMo; 2010-09-27 at 10:41 AM.

Sure you put it in DFU and not recovery mode?

Yup. When I've got the white screen, I just hold down the power button to shut it off. Then I hold down power and home for 10 sec, let go of power and continue to hold home for 10 sec... I get the sounds that I've done it right.

Plus if I did, wouldn't RecBoot or TinyUmbrella be able to see it and kick it out?

So you have nothing on the phone display and itunes says it's found a device in recovery mode?

Take out the apple stuff from your hosts file, you don't need that if you are using tiny umbrella.

You should:
    1. Connect phone in DFU
    2. Start Tinyumbrella and start TSS server
    3. Start itunes
    4. Shift+click restore
    5. Point to iphone restore file (you've got the right one for your phone?)
    6. Leave it to do it's work
    7. You'll get an error message towards the end, just click "kick device out of recovery" in tinyumbrella
    8. Job done

Is your 1601 error where it is checking with apple if the restore is valid?
    Last edited by eyeRobot; 2010-09-27 at 11:16 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Quote Originally Posted by westonben View Post
    So you have nothing on the phone display and itunes says it's found a device in recovery mode?
    Yes. If it was actually in recovery mode, wouldn't it have the cable/arrow/iTunes logo picture?

> Is your 1601 error where it is checking with apple if the restore is valid?
    I do believe so.

I've already followed the steps you've posted, except that I don't have option to kick the device out of recovery in tinyumbrella.

I've got a question regarding tinyumbrella: Do you have to "Connect a device" for it to work? Because it's not showing my phone there.
    Last edited by KellyMo; 2010-09-27 at 11:24 AM. Reason: Added question

Yes, if it's not shown there then it's not going to work, so you are going to have to do the restore without tinyumbrella. Do the modification to the hosts file.

Post what you have put in there already.

Also, have you tried to put your phone into recovery mode? How did you get your SHSH file if tinyumbrella doesn't recognise the phone?
    Last edited by eyeRobot; 2010-09-27 at 11:36 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

hosts file:
    Code:
    127.0.0.1       localhost
    # 127.0.0.1 gs.apple.com
    # 74.208.10.249 gs.apple.com
    Quote Originally Posted by westonben View Post
    Also, have you tried to put your phone into recovery mode? How did you get your SHSH file if tinyumbrella doesn't recognise the phone?
    Yes, I've tried (hold down home button for a few seconds, then plug the usb in)... no success. Also tried about five other "get your phone out of DFU mode" tips posted on various sites to no avail.

I got the SHSH's from getting the phone's ECID. I just plug that into tinyumbrella and it pulls the info from Cydia's repository. Another note: usbview shows the phone in DFU mode. I cannot seem to get it out, so I'm thinking the restore partially worked, and thus it's stuck in limbo until I can get a restore to take.

I'm looking at various other downgrade posts, and I'm thinking that maybe I should just upgrade "properly" (via Apple's standards), then try to downgrade. I'm just really irritated with this option, because so far I've never been able to successfully downgrade or restore any version that isn't the latest.
    Would you recommend that?
    Last edited by KellyMo; 2010-09-27 at 12:12 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

If you don't need an unlock then upgrading 4.1 would be an easy way to check if it's a firmware signing problem.

However, I personally think you'll get the same problem with 4.1 firmware too. I think itunes is not able to do the "preparing phone for restore", I think your phone is bricked.

Good luck though. If you get it to 4.1 then you will be able to downgrade afterwards, but like I said, you won't be able to unlock it anymore if that's required.

Ugh, I'm really hoping it's not bricked...

The phone doesn't require an unlock. So, that's good news. I'll just upgrade the "right way" and see what happens.

Thanks for your assistance.

Let us know how you get on.

Quote Originally Posted by KellyMo View Post
    hosts file:
    Code:
    127.0.0.1       localhost
    # 127.0.0.1 gs.apple.com
    # 74.208.10.249 gs.apple.com
    There should only be one line of gs.apple.com reroute code
    Even though 127.0.0.1 seams right because it's stored on your pc, you don't need this line, only use 74.208.0.249 gs.apple.com in your host file
    Idk if that's the right number for it, I'm on my iPhone right now

Well, I've got some news to report.

I updated iTunes to 10.whatever is available today. I disabled my firewall completely. I plugged the phone in, started up iTunes, told it to restore (no shift-click), and I still got error 1601.

Apparently my computer hates iTunes as much as I do. The phone is showing the silver apple with a progress bar on my husband's laptop.

This makes me really wonder; I had many issues with updating back in July, and I ended up having to commandeer his computer to get anything accomplished without errors. So I guess the problem does not lie with my phone.
    I'm probably going to have to wait til he's sleeping tonight to downgrade the phone.

Now I'm off to scour the web as to why my computer could possibly have any feelings towards Apple.

Need to go to Cub Scouting ... will properly read this thread tonight and see if I can help as well. I just wrote a long how to in another thread. May be of help to you as well.

Quote Originally Posted by KellyMo View Post
    Well, I've got some news to report.

I updated iTunes to 10.whatever is available today. I disabled my firewall completely. I plugged the phone in, started up iTunes, told it to restore (no shift-click), and I still got error 1601.

Apparently my computer hates iTunes as much as I do. The phone is showing the silver apple with a progress bar on my husband's laptop.

This makes me really wonder; I had many issues with updating back in July, and I ended up having to commandeer his computer to get anything accomplished without errors. So I guess the problem does not lie with my phone.
    I'm probably going to have to wait til he's sleeping tonight to downgrade the phone.

Now I'm off to scour the web as to why my computer could possibly have any feelings towards Apple.
    Did you get any further forward with this?

I had this problem a couple of times and it turned out to be a problem with iTunes or windows getting drivers muddled up, nothing I did worked except 1 thing. I plugged it into a different computer and it worked first time.

No, sadly I had to resort to using my husband's laptop. For whatever reason, my computer does not like iTunes.

I recently reinstalled my computer, but I have no current intent on installing iTunes.