Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Downgrading

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    Default Downgrading
    I am a fool and just upgraded my iPod before jailbreaking it. I don't know why, so don't ask.
    Yes I have put it into DFU and blah blah blah, but the problem is that I don't have any restore.ipsw files on my computer. Is there any way I can get this or use some other method of downgrading?

And I apologize because I'm sure someone has already posted this same question. Thank you for your time

It's an iPod Touch, version 4.1
    Last edited by makenna; 2010-09-24 at 12:04 AM.

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to makenna For This Useful Post:

Alphy69 (2010-09-24), Julio1971 (2010-09-24)

Retired Moderator
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,202 Times in 1,924 Posts

Need to know:

1) iPod model
    2) firmware version (assuming it is 4.1) and what you want to downgrade to
    3) if you have your SHSHs saved in Cydia or TinyUmbrella

4. The Following User Says Thank You to i.Annie For This Useful Post:

Julio1971 (2010-09-24)

which version did you upgrade to? you can find the ipsw files on www.felixbruns.de/iPod/firmware/

download the version you want and then shift click, etc etc. If you need more help, post back and I'll elaborate the steps. The website to get the firmware ipsw is the felixbruns.de one.

are you using the iphone on a supported carrier? If so, then downgrading from 4.1 is much much easier than if you are relying on the ultrasn0w unlock to make phone calls, send messages, etc. because you won't have to worry about the baseband change.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Jedeoki For This Useful Post:

makenna (2010-09-24)

Retired Moderator
    Thanks

This is an iPod. So no official carrier for that. Downgrading isn't much easier either regardless of carrier. SHSHs are needed for certain iPod models. That's why I asked. Simply downloading a fw and shift+restore isn't gonna do the trick if it's an iPod 3G or iPod 2G MC model.

good point. My research is only for the iphone 3g. I've upgraded to 4.1 but rely on a carrier unlock to use the phone. I haven't looked into jailbreaking my touch yet as there will be no point once there is an unlock found for 4.1, or at least a way to be found to drop the baseband back from 5.14.xx to 5.13.xx.

Retired Moderator
    Thanks

Unfortunately downgrading the baseband is currently not possible. It used to be for 3G phones with 5.08 BL but not anymore since the new baseband is not supported. A new unlock for the new baseband must be implemented and currently there is none in progress. There will be a JB for 4.1 but the unlock for the new baseband isn't looking too positive.

bummer. I am holding out hope that pwnage tool will soon support 4.1 but that is still unclear.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Anniex423 View Post
    Need to know:

1) iPod model
    2) firmware version (assuming it is 4.1) and what you want to downgrade to
    3) if you have your SHSHs saved in Cydia or TinyUmbrella
    I assume have no SHSHs saved any where as I have no idea what they are

Quote Originally Posted by Jedeoki View Post
    which version did you upgrade to? you can find the ipsw files on www.felixbruns.de/iPod/firmware/

download the version you want and then shift click, etc etc. If you need more help, post back and I'll elaborate the steps. The website to get the firmware ipsw is the felixbruns.de one.

are you using the iphone on a supported carrier? If so, then downgrading from 4.1 is much much easier than if you are relying on the ultrasn0w unlock to make phone calls, send messages, etc. because you won't have to worry about the baseband change.
    As of right now I am currently trying out the website you sent me, so we will see if it works shortly.
    It is an iTouch, not phone

Good news everyone! It worked (3 Thank you for your help!!
    Last edited by makenna; 2010-09-24 at 12:19 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Everytime I try to download ISPW files from anywhere, they zip files never contain the files. Can anyone tell me why or point me to where these files are?

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    " you can find the ipsw files on www.felixbruns.de/iPod/firmware/ "

Default Ispw files
    I have tried to download these files everywhere. When I download the zip files, it gives me everything BUT the ispw file. What is up with that?