Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Have 3.0.1 - want 4.0.1 Jailbroken with downgrade path

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    Default Have 3.0.1 - want 4.0.1 Jailbroken with downgrade path
    I have a 3GS with 3.0.1 which I can tether thanks to benm. I want to upgrade to 4.0.1 and jailbreak via jailbreakme.com. I have not saved my 3.0.1 SHSH Blob but did save a 4.1. My questions are

1. How do I upgrade to 4.0.1 and not 4.1? Do I need a 4.0.1 SHSH Blob to do this?

2. Will I be able to go back to 3.0.1 if something goes wrong?

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to rju For This Useful Post:

bi3eda (2010-09-24), djarfan (2010-09-27)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,764 Times in 2,652 Posts

Update your Itunes to version 10.
    First of all, there are two paths to take :
    First Method :
    You can restore to 4.0.1 which requires shsh blogs because Apple is not signing this firmware.
    You have to point your hosts file towards Cydia Server by adding this line : 74.208.10.249 gs.apple.com
    Download the stock 4.0.1 ipsw.
    Then you Do the Shift + Restore to stock 4.0.1 ipsw.
    Once restored, you have to activate with a valid Sim.
    Go to jailbreakme.com using Safari on your iphone.
    Unlock with Ultrasn0w from Cydia.

Downgrade Path : For every OS firmware to downgrade, you will need shsh blogs that correspond to the firmware you want to downgrade. Same thing point your hosts file to Cydia. Put your Iphone into DFU mode. Do the Shift + Restore to the ipsw you want to downgrade.

Second Method : Using Custom Firmware.
    If your 3.0.1 is not jailbroken, jailbreak it with Redsn0w 0.8, make sure you point to 3.0 ipsw which you have to download.
    If it is already jailbroken, you can proceed to the next step.
    You can either Download Pwnage tools 4.0.1 or Snowbreeze 1.7.
    Download the 3GS stock 4.0 ipsw.
    Build your custom firmware, if you are not familiar, you can use the Simple Method.
    Once you have created this Custom Firmware (CFW)
    Do a Shift + Restore to CFW.
    Once restored , you are already jailbroken.
    Unlock with Ultrasn0w.

Downgrade Path : Assuming you want to downgrade to 3.1.2, create a custom firmware from Pwnage tools 3.1.5 or Snowbreee 1.5.2. Put your iphone into recovery mode, do the shift + Restore to CFW 3.1.2 ipsw.

That's it.
    Last edited by iYeow; 2010-09-22 at 05:26 AM.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to iYeow For This Useful Post:

Kumputer (2010-09-25), rju (2010-09-22)

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    Thanks for the info but, since I am new to this, it has created more questions.

Which method do you recomend?

First Method:
    I do not have a 4.0.1 SHSH saved. Am I screwed?
    How do I activate with valid SIM?
    What is Unlock for?

Second Method:
    Does the CFW not require a SHSH Blob?

Downgrade:
    I have not saved an SHSH and can now only save the current 4.1 SHSH Blog. Can I not downgrade to my old 3.0.1?

If you have not saved your SHSHs blobs, then you cannot/shouldn't do the 1st option. The custom firmware would be the path to take for you to upgrade.

Unlock is for those who'd like to use a provider other than AT&T or the contract provider for the phone.

I am not sure if you can downgrade to 3.0.1 even if you used the custom firmware upgrade method since any downgrade will require you to have the necessary blobs saved (in your case the 3.0.1 blobs)

Yeow's second method doesn't require SHSH blobs and can be activated by the custom firmware. Once there you can go up or down without needing to have SHSH blobs on store.

This option is for old bootrom devices only (which yours probably is) but you should double check this first.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to eyeRobot For This Useful Post:

Kumputer (2010-09-25)

Green Apple
    Thanks

Default me too
    rju, did this work for you? I'm basically in the same situation as I purchased a used 3GS old bootrom already jailbroken on 3.0.1, but it does not have any SHSH stored in Cydia. I NEED to be absolutely sure that this will work for me, or else I will be SOL with no downgrade path and no way to unlock / activate on my alien SIM card.

Westonben/Azraeil, are you both absolutely 100% certain that SHSH for version 4.0 is not required for upgrading/restoring to a pwned 4.0? Again, if I can't get the firmware to take, I'll be SOL. How does the custom firmware defeat the verification process anyway?

Also, alternatively, what about UltraSn0w 2.0? Apparently we can go from 3.1.2 pwned to 4.0/4.0.1/4.1 pwned using this tool, but whether it can go directly from pwned 3.0.1 is a bit ambiguous.

kumputer,

I am pretty sure (not 100%, I'd let other sifus in this board confirm it) that using the PwnageTool method for Custom firmware to upgrade to 4.0 will not require you to have the 4.0 SHSH as I don't believe it will go through a verification process with apple (I don't remember it doing that in the first place). Make sure you do the custom firmware properly though. If you require a contract to activate the phone then there is a step in PwnageTool that allows you to bypass the activation process, the custom firmware will activate the phone for you.

All you need is then to use ultrasn0w to unlock the phone.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to azraeil For This Useful Post:

Kumputer (2010-09-25)

Unfortunately, you don't get a guarantee. But I'm pretty confident that you'll have no issues whatsoever.

100% certain that your baseband won't be updated and you will be able to use any custom firmware to go to whichever firmware you want, 100% you don't need SHSH on file.

Good luck.

No idea how it works, but it does. I've got the same device as you and I've been up and down the firmwares without issue.

Where did you hear about ultrasnow 2? I don't believe that it's available, the most up to date is 1.1-1. It unlocks your baseband, not your firmware, so it doesn't matter what firmware you are on so long as you are jailbroken. It can unlock 04.26.08, 05.11.07, 05.12.01 and 05.13.04. I'm guessing you'll be on 04.26.08 before and after the snowbreeze update, so no big shakes.
    Last edited by eyeRobot; 2010-09-23 at 08:50 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

13. The Following User Says Thank You to eyeRobot For This Useful Post:

Kumputer (2010-09-25)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,764 Times in 2,652 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Kumputer View Post
    rju, did this work for you? I'm basically in the same situation as I purchased a used 3GS old bootrom already jailbroken on 3.0.1, but it does not have any SHSH stored in Cydia. I NEED to be absolutely sure that this will work for me, or else I will be SOL with no downgrade path and no way to unlock / activate on my alien SIM card.

Westonben/Azraeil, are you both absolutely 100% certain that SHSH for version 4.0 is not required for upgrading/restoring to a pwned 4.0? Again, if I can't get the firmware to take, I'll be SOL. How does the custom firmware defeat the verification process anyway?

Also, alternatively, what about UltraSn0w 2.0? Apparently we can go from 3.1.2 pwned to 4.0/4.0.1/4.1 pwned using this tool, but whether it can go directly from pwned 3.0.1 is a bit ambiguous.
    Westonben and Azraeli are right, you don't need shsh blogs if you are using custom firmware, I can comfirm that for you.
    By the way, there is no such thing as Ultrasn0w 2.0, are you talking about Snowbreeze 2.0 ? Don't restore to 4.1 yet? I see problems, problems on Cydia Apps not ported to support 4.1 yet.
    Last edited by iYeow; 2010-09-23 at 09:16 PM.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to iYeow For This Useful Post:

Kumputer (2010-09-25)

Green Apple
    Thanks

Oops, yes, I did indeed mean Sn0wBreeze 2.0, not UltraSn0w. As brilliant as these jailbreak hackers are, you'd think they could come up with better names that are easier to to tell apart.

Little status update: I have another 3GS with the old bootrom that does indeed have SHSH's from 4.0 upward that I accidentally fried to the most recent baseband on 4.1, so at the moment it's useless to me as a phone as I cannot unlock it anymore. I actually opened the wrong file when doing a restore. Anyway, because it's already fried and I at least have SHSH's for 4.0 onward, I figured I could use it to experiment on before I mess with the older firmware one on 3.0.1. I used a tutorial to pwn it from jailbreakme using spirit2pwn, then I restored it on my custom built 4.0 iOS from pwnage.

[Tutorial] Pwn your Old Bootrom 3GS on 4.0 | LEi Mobile

I actually got paranoid enough that I wanted to make sure I recreated as many circumstances as possible, where I commented out the gs.apple.com line in hosts, moved my .shsh folder somewhere else, and even disconnected my LAN cable. It all restored successfully, so this is promising so far. I even noticed that it never warned me about verifying the restore with apple and never prompted that it was doing so, so that's more good news. But I'm not entirely confident yet, so I'm going to look around and see if I can find some way to downgrade it to a pwned 3.0.1 and upgrade it successfully from there. If that works, I'll be much more confident.

Thanks for the warning about Sn0wBreeze not being all that great on 4.1. I'll stay away for the time being.

Second update:
    I've successfully used Pwnage Tool 4.01 to go straight from 3.0.1 jailbroken to 4.0. Phone is now unlocked with Ultrasn0w and all is well so far. Thanks everybody for the help!
    Last edited by Kumputer; 2010-09-24 at 09:03 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Good stuff. Install the PDF patch in cydia and enjoy!