Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Using Tiny Umbrella and SHSH blobs

Default Using Tiny Umbrella and SHSH blobs
    Hi, I am a total newbie. I just was reading about SHSH blobs etc. I jailbroke and unlocked my iphone 3G recently. The iphone came with 4.0 (atleast that's what it says in the Settings-General-About-Version section where it says 4.0 (8A293). Now I downloaded Tiny Umbrella v4.1.4 and followed the article "http://www.iphonedownloadblog.com/2010/07/20/how-to-save-your-shsh-blob/". It says that shsh has been saved by saying TSS server has cached the following files:
    iPhone3G 4.1 (8B117) - ECID#

and than it says that devices with matching ECID will be able to restore to the version listed above. I am a bit confused because I am running 4.0. How is it going to restore to 4.1 when I am not even running that? Tx

Thanks
    Thanked 2,764 Times in 2,652 Posts

Once again to clarify, Cydia can only cache the shsh blogs while apple is still signing. You jailbroke your iphone when apple is signing 4.1, so Cydia will save it for you and all future shsh blogs too. In other words, it doesn't matter at what version you jailbreak your iphone, if your iphone crashes, you will not be able to restore to 4.0 again, you can only restore to 4.1 which will break your jailbreak and unlock too.
    But if you can downgrade to 3.xx with ease, you do not need shsh blogs.

Alternate method :
    Since 4.1 is now jailbreakable with Pwnage tools. What you need to do is as follows :
    You have to downgrade to either 3.1.2 or 3.1.3 and use Redsn0w 0.9.4 to jailbreak.
    Once this is done, you can create a custom firmware from Pwnage tools 4.1 for 3g.
    Then do the Shift + Restore to custom_4.1_ipsw.
    Once restored , you are already jailbroken at iOS 4.1 and still be able to unlock with Ultrasn0w.
    Last edited by iYeow; 2010-09-21 at 05:53 AM.

Hi yeow202,

Thanks for explaining. I am a newbie so please bear with me. I am confused as to why I would need to downgrade when I have everything working now and if something does go wrong than why can't I just use 4.1 since the shsh blogs are saved on cydia and I have them locally as well and jailbreak the 4.1 version since it is jailbreakable now. thx

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by yeow202 View Post
    Once again to clarify, Cydia can only cache the shsh blogs while apple is still signing. You jailbroke your iphone when apple is signing 4.1, so Cydia will save it for you and all future shsh blogs too. In other words, it doesn't matter at what version you jailbreak your iphone, if your iphone crashes, you will not be able to restore to 4.0 again, you can only restore to 4.1 which will break your jailbreak and unlock too.
    But if you can downgrade to 3.xx with ease, you do not need shsh blogs.

Alternate method :
    Since 4.1 is now jailbreakable with Pwnage tools. What you need to do is as follows :
    You have to downgrade to either 3.1.2 or 3.1.3 and use Redsn0w 0.9.4 to jailbreak.
    Once this is done, you can create a custom firmware from Pwnage tools 4.1 for 3g.
    Then do the Shift + Restore to custom_4.1_ipsw.
    Once restored , you are already jailbroken at iOS 4.1 and still be able to unlock with Ultrasn0w.
    But dude. 4.1 is not jailbreakable with Pwnage Tool right now. Dev Team released Redsn0w but not Pwnage Tool yet. I'm sure it's comming. It's just not here yet.
    If I helped please head on over and smash the Thanks button.

My Personal Cydia source: apt.finalbillybong.com

5. The Following User Says Thank You to FinalBillybong For This Useful Post:

Neil001 (2010-09-21)

Thanks

Pwnage tools 4.1 for 3G = jailbreak + unlock at 4.1
    Redsn0w 0.96b1 for 3G = jailbreak + no unlock at 4.1
    Think carefully, you will know what I mean.

Thanks

Just because you wrote it down doesn't make it true. Pwnage Tool is NOT OUT YET!

Thanks

Thanks
    Thanked 17,645 Times in 8,025 Posts

That version is unofficial and while it does probably work will have a few bugs in there. Personally I would wait for the official dev team update to pwnage tool but that is just me.

Thanks

That is nothing to do with Dev Team. It's an unofficial release. So my statement still stands.

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

I've actually only heard bad things about the unofficial pwnagetool. I wouldn't touch it.
    We're all just toymakers in the game of life.