Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Losing my #$@! mind! trying to downgrade

Default Losing my #$@! mind! trying to downgrade
    I am at wits end here. I followed every single tutorial, spent more time on Google than this damn phone is worth and can't get anywhere.

I made the horrid mistake of breaking my phone with 4.0 and by breaking I mean the same wifi/BT issues many people experienced.

To me, going back to 3.x would be a dream....so that is what I have spent 5 hours trying to do.

The phone right now was reset, as in all data, all settings.
    Now it displays the USB plug into the CD. iTunes wants to
    recover but will only do so if I permit it internet access, so it can get 4.x again rather than be smart and say, gee, no internet, let me get one of the files I save in blah blah blah folder.

How can I force iTunes to restore the OS from the saved 3.x file?

I tried some aftermarket utilities but they either wont read that file or wont run on my system.

I sure hope someone has a suggestion.

Oh, I guess that would help huh...

My bad, when I tell you my brain is fried...it isn't an understatement.
    This phone has had me spinning my wheels for hours.

It is an 8GB 3G

Thanks
    Thanked 17,645 Times in 8,025 Posts

With a 3G you should just be able to put it in dfu mode, then shift-click restore to 3.1.2 or 3.1.3. No SHSH required for those firmwares. You have to be connected to the internet.

You aren't trying to unlock this as well are you?

Thank you for your input and help...

Right now, it is stuck in recovery mode. I tried the left shift key and I tried the right shift key while clicking restore, in each instance it brought me to the "Are you sure you want to restore the iPhone...." which I can click "restore and update" or cancel. I am ok with the restore partt of restore and update but I contest the update part. An update it is not but I digress.

I don't get an option to navigate to a saved firmware file. In fact, when I copy the firmware file I want to use to the folder where iTunes saved old copies, it has the balls to delete it when I click cancel.

Thanks

Try using a different computer if shift-clicking restore is not bringing up a window to choose your firmware (you are on windows right?). Something may be wrong with your itunes.

I will try this...

That actually worked but it would crap out 95% of the way through updating the firmware to the older version. It did however have no problem putting that broken 4.x on.

Now that I have the wifi breaking 4.1, does anyone know why it keeps making my wifi ask for the password? When my iPhone 4 with 4.1 doesn't and this 3G didn't with the older 3.x.

Should I make a new thread? for the broken wifi?
    Last edited by Zenica; 2010-09-20 at 03:23 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Thanks

When it craps out are you getting error 1015. If so that is expected, you need to press the kick device out of recovery button in tiny umbrella at that point and your iPhone should boot up.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Simon For This Useful Post:

Zenica (2010-09-20)

Once again, thank you for replying...

I don't recall seeing an umbrella (or Alice for that matter---ok, a small joke) or an option to kick it out of recovery. Only an ok button and the iPhone showing the same recover screen of the Apple logo and the USB plug.

go download tinyumbrella which will give you the kick device out of recovery button

12. The Following User Says Thank You to cybereclipse For This Useful Post:

Zenica (2010-09-20)

ok, I tried again and this time, got it downgraded to an earlier version...thanks. My wifi seems stable again.

I had tried calling apple but they won't help anyone trying to go back
    to an earlier version of the OS. Damn, even Microsoft will help a user do that!

How nice of apple to want control of my phone, even after I paid for it and after the warranty is long expired.

Quote Originally Posted by Zenica View Post

How nice of apple to want control of my phone, even after I paid for it and after the warranty is long expired.
    and this is why we jailbreak

I spoke way too soon. It seems the 3.x didn't install properly because after one reboot, the phone was in safemode. Man this is frustrating...
    I called Apple again to *itch and they made an appointment with the local Apple store for them to run a diagnostic on the phone. Since I was going to the store, I put the 4.1 on since that is the current version.

The store said they have no way to test a secured wifi connection since they have open wifi in the store. The best thing they could do was *charge me money* for a replacement and being at wits end, I went along with it, with a clear understanding that if I get home and it still isn't working, they are married to me and this problem.

guess what---

The wifi still has issues with asking for my damn password every few minutes. At least the BT works tho.

Yes it does.

Go to iclarified and download the original apple firmware 3.1.2 for 3G.
    Restore using the 3.1.2 firmware. It will go to like 95% or so then cause an error. Go to blackra1n.com and download. Run blackra1n and it will boot up the phone for you. You will have 3.1.2 firmware and you can jailbreak and also unlock from there. There might be an error when using blackra1n. Just remember the error and google it. There will be a fix on how to make it work.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Lostology For This Useful Post:

Zenica (2010-09-21)