Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Downgrade 3g version 4.1

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    Default Downgrade 3g version 4.1
    Hello there,

First of all allow me to say thank you and congratulate the team that helps all of us (the newbies) to sort, jailbreak and mod the iphones.

3g Iphone Specs:

Current Version: 4.1 (8B117)
    Model: MB489B
    Modem Firmware: 05.14.02

When bought my iphone was on version 3.0.2 which I did restore it to 3.1 and jailbreak it using Blackra1n. Everything worked perfect. A new version was read so I updated to 4.0.1 using rdsn0w however the version was recognised as 3.1 in itunes. I loaded up cydia and it was saying tha I have shsh files for 4.0.1/4.0.2 I think, but I never backed them up as I did not know what they were.
    Then my iphone start slowing down and crashing frequently, and stupidly I updated to 4.1 via itunes, very big mistake.

Researching through the net I found out that if I had a 3G which is a non mc model I could still downgrade and jailbreak it if I was lucky. Downloaded Firmware 4.0 as well as 4.1.
    Using redsn0w I loaded 4.0 firmware but It wouldn't recognize them.Then I was forced to use 4.1 and it did jailbreak it. Multitasking was beautiful and everything seemed to be perfect, but that wasn't the case.

The phone icon had disappeared. I could only receive calls and just listen to the conversation without being able to talk. I couldn't make any calls, or sent messages. The browser and the apps werent loaded. I though I destroyed the iphone for good.

I did a setting reset and using itunes 10 restored to 4.1 firmware and it brought the phone back to normal, no jailbreak.

What I would like to know is:

1. Am I able to jailbreak my iphone as according to the net if I have a non mc model I may.

2. I did not back up my shsh files from cydia. Are they still in the sauric server and if so can I still get them?

Many Thanks in advance

greekboyuk

2. The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to greekboyuk For This Useful Post:

albdah (2010-09-13), alialion (2010-09-18), Chrishilbelink (2010-10-11), Craz99 (2010-09-15), curtison (2010-09-13), Danidarren (2010-09-19), Delaney (2010-09-19), Flipflapfish (2010-09-13), Fran2022 (2010-09-23), meeto1888 (2010-09-19), Rocksil2010 (2010-09-13), rosaazkona (2010-09-12), Tzachimel (2010-09-18)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,764 Times in 2,652 Posts

There is no jailbreak at 4.1 yet, I suggest you downgrade to 3.xx, you do not require shsh blogs for 3G, put your iphone into DFU mode and do the Shift + Restore to 3.xx, as usual you will get error 1015, use TU to kick it out and you are good to go. Once restored , you can jailbreak with your preferred tool.
    By the way, your BB will be updated, so I hope you are with the official carrier, if not, you can only use it as an Ipod Touch.

Note : Do not edit your hosts file to point to Cydia for this case.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to iYeow For This Useful Post:

greekboyuk (2010-09-12)

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by yeow202 View Post
    There is no jailbreak at 4.1 yet, I suggest you downgrade to 3.xx, you do not require shsh blogs for 3G, put your iphone into DFU mode and do the Shift + Restore to 3.xx, as usual you will get error 1015, use TU to kick it out and you are good to go. Once restored , you can jailbreak with your preferred tool.
    By the way, your BB will be updated, so I hope you are with the official carrier, if not, you can only use it as an Ipod Touch.

Note : Do not edit your hosts file to point to Cydia for this case.
    Thank you very much for quick response could you please advice me if I could use 3.1? Also which jailbreaking tool do you sugest using??
    ( I am planning to install instalous and on version 3.0 it doesn't let me) thank you very much

Thanks

Any 3.1.x firmware will work for the downgrade.

Please note you may have to restore to 3.1.x TWICE before the phone will work properly (first time from DFU, end with error 1015, try kicking it out from recovery with Umbrella. If it won't exit recovery mode, restore it again from recovery mode, should end again with error 1015, this time kicking it out from recovery mode should get you to the "emergency calls only" screen). Once you're there, jailbreak using whatever method you'd like, but do remember your phone will have an updated baseband and will be not be unlockable for the time being.

Good luck. PS: I wouldn't talk about programs whose uses include piracy on this forum.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Orby For This Useful Post:

-vis0- (2010-09-19), greekboyuk (2010-09-14)

Thanks

Regarding piracy, I can't help you, sorry.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by orbyorb View Post
    Any 3.1.x firmware will work for the downgrade.

Please note you may have to restore to 3.1.x TWICE before the phone will work properly (first time from DFU, end with error 1015, try kicking it out from recovery with Umbrella. If it won't exit recovery mode, restore it again from recovery mode, should end again with error 1015, this time kicking it out from recovery mode should get you to the "emergency calls only" screen). Once you're there, jailbreak using whatever method you'd like, but do remember your phone will have an updated baseband and will be not be unlockable for the time being.

Good luck. PS: I wouldn't talk about programs whose uses include piracy on this forum.
    Hi, thank you very much for your help, it worked beautifully. For other users that they may experience same problem like the one that I had please read below. I used itune 10 and followed the instractions mentioned on this thread. after restore was completed Got the error 1015 from itune and then kicked out from dfu mode using umbrela, however when rebooted it was still telling me to connect to itune. Manage to get rid of it by holding home and power button and it powered up with the emergercy call only. Then, connected to iTunes to Activated it and voilą!!!!!!all perfect. Thank you very much all of you for helping out, much appreciated!!!! keep up your imaculate work

I don't get this I'm trying to downgrade can someone just post me a link plz!!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by TianaHalbgewachs View Post
    I don't get this I'm trying to downgrade can someone just post me a link plz!!
    Downgrade what ???

From all the specs listed from the op I think Iam in the same boat. Happy to hear it worked for someone without having SHSH backups.

I will probably try the same thing tonight, hopefully I won't brick this thing.

I don't mind not being able to use it as a phone for now because I don't have sim. If anyone has any other advice (than what's written above) for a person trying to downgrade / j.break for the first time, please chime in... : )

It is much appreciated.

Hello. I would like to know where I can get the firmware either 4.0 or 4.0.1. I think it sucks that apple makes u update when u restore. Any help is greatly appricated. I have a 3GS jailbroken. It crashes i restored it and it upgraded to 4.1 and now I can't jailbreak. Help please
    Last edited by Newyork25yankees; 2010-09-17 at 02:35 PM. Reason: Adding

I have a follow up question to my previous post. I saw that the person who started this thread was able to downgrade from 4.1 and then jailbreak (although not unlock), with the same exact specs that I have (3G, no SHSH backups, same baseband, same firmware, etc)

BUt then I also found this which seems to me to be a jailbreak of the present 4.1 ios, which enables ios 4.1s multitasking etc, as well as third party apps.

I am absolutely new to all of this (meaning this is my first attempt to jbreak anything). Can someone confirm that I have understood this right and that either are viable alternatives for me?

I understand that neither will unlock the phone for me, which is ok for now. And I also understand that jailbreaking 4.1 (w/o downgrading) may stop a few apps from working, which I dont mind (mms, etc). But is one likely to be more stable or easy than the other? Or is one more likely to do more damage than the other if something goes wrong?

THanks ahead for any replies.
    Last edited by IndivisibleP; 2010-09-17 at 03:22 PM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by IndivisibleP View Post
    I have a follow up question to my previous post. I saw that the person who started this thread was able to downgrade from 4.1 and then jailbreak (although not unlock), with the same exact specs that I have (3G, no SHSH backups, same baseband, same firmware, etc)

BUt then I also found this which seems to me to be a jailbreak of the present 4.1 ios, which enables ios 4.1s multitasking etc, as well as third party apps.

I am absolutely new to all of this (meaning this is my first attempt to jbreak anything). Can someone confirm that I have understood this right and that either are viable alternatives for me?

I understand that neither will unlock the phone for me, which is ok for now. And I also understand that jailbreaking 4.1 (w/o downgrading) may stop a few apps from working, which I dont mind (mms, etc). But is one likely to be more stable or easy than the other? Or is one more likely to do more damage than the other if something goes wrong?

THanks ahead for any replies.
    Nope, that's referring to iOS 4.0.

Though 4.1 can and will be jailbreakable on the 3G in a very similar manner, there's not an official solution out yet.

I'd strongly advise you attempt to downgrade to a 4.0.x software to jailbreak--there are both official tools and far greater support/far more stable apps/tweaks/etc. for 4.0.

Be advised, however, that you will need SHSH blobs backed up to downgrade your firmware to any version of 4.x on the 3G, unless you're already jailbroken with redsn0w/blackra1n/PwnageTool/sn0wbreeze (and NOT with Spirit or Jailbreakme). If you don't have any blobs, downgrade to 3.1.3, jailbreak w/redsn0w, then use PwnageTool/sn0wbreeze to restore forward to 4.0.x.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Orby For This Useful Post:

Shizzstacks (2010-09-18)

Ok cool, thanks alot for the outline.

So let me just see if ive got this straight. I should first downgrade to 3.x.x (by the way any particular version of ios 3 that i should aim for?). Then i can either jailbreak directly from that 3.x version and use that or reupgrade to a version of 4.0/.x and jailbreak from there (having ios 4 features like m.tasking). Is this correct?

Also when i downgrade to 3.x will i be able to save a SHSH blob? And if so, should I? Will such a blob also save my (presently) un-unlockable baseband? And is that something i should worry about or will it not matter once 4.1 becomes properly jailbreakable and unlockable?

Anyway sorry for all the questions, hope you dont mind. I am the noobiest of the noobs...

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by IndivisibleP View Post
    Ok cool, thanks alot for the outline.

So let me just see if ive got this straight. I should first downgrade to 3.x.x (by the way any particular version of ios 3 that i should aim for?). Then i can either jailbreak directly from that 3.x version and use that or reupgrade to a version of 4.0/.x and jailbreak from there (having ios 4 features like m.tasking). Is this correct?

Also when i downgrade to 3.x will i be able to save a SHSH blob? And if so, should I? Will such a blob also save my (presently) un-unlockable baseband? And is that something i should worry about or will it not matter once 4.1 becomes properly jailbreakable and unlockable?

Anyway sorry for all the questions, hope you dont mind. I am the noobiest of the noobs...
    Not a problem. Ask away...

I'd downgrade to 3.1.3 just for simplicity's sake, but it's not too important what you decide to downgrade to, as long as it's 3.1.x.

Yes, after you jailbreak 3.1.3 (for example) using redsn0w, you can either stay with your jailbroken device at 3.x, or use something like PwnageTool or sn0wbreeze (custom firmware writer, it allows you to restore to an already-jailbroken firmware, so Cydia will greet you as you finish the restore. Only works if already jailbroken, though).

You can save your SHSH blobs without being jailbroken by using a program called TinyUmbrella (The Firmware Umbrella). Just plug in your device, close iTunes, open Umbrella, and click the button that says "Save My SHSH." You can also elect to save your blobs with Cydia on the phone after it's jailbroken--simply select "Make my life easier, thanks!" when the prompt appears (usually the first time you run Cydia on the phone). Saving your blobs once will also have Cydia attempt to back up all future blobs.

The baseband firmware is contained in the IPSW (firmware) file. Saving your blobs won't necessarily preserve your baseband, but saving your blobs will allow you to restore to 4.1 for example when the current version is 4.2 (with a different baseband). Also, once jailbroken, Pwnagetool etc. can preserve any baseband going forward (just un-click Enable Baseband Update and you'll be set).

Once 4.1 is both jailbreakable (technically already done for the 3G) and unlockable, you'll be able to restore to 4.1 (and thereby ensure you'll always have an unlockable and jailbreakable phone) in perpetuity with the corresponding SHSH blob.

Default So, Iphone 3g currently 4.1 un-jailbroken.. and Im a virgin
    Yes i said it Im a virgin looking to pop my cherry and jailbreak my Iphone 3g 4.1 .
    After reading these post. I just want a easy 1,2,3 step by step of what i need to do to get the most out of my jailbreak.
    I have downloaded so far TinyUmbrella and saved my SHSH files for my current 4.1v; and I have downloaded redsn0w, but have not used it yet. What should this virgin do next? please note that big WORDS scare me and I'm mentally retarded :P JKLOL about the mentally retarded part, also note I have searched the forms for a step by step guild for my situation and didn't find much of what i was looking for. what i need to know is what do i need to do next to jail break my phone and the steps to do so. please and thank you in advance.

P.S would it be better if I downgraded to 4.0 and used Jailbreakme.com or went the other way and downgraded to 3.1.x and used redsnow.. if thats the way you would do it not sure about either ways of doing this but please understand.. I dont have a clear understanding of how to do this. again thank you in advanced
    Last edited by Uchemp; 2010-09-19 at 01:09 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Thanks

Thank you orbyorb, you resolved my issue!

could I use this to downgrade my Iphone 3g 4.1.

Here try this. I have done it on lots of 3G iPhones.

1. Download these items first - ( tinyumbrella - the 3.1.3 IPW )

2. Connect your iPhone to computer.

3. Put your iPhone in DFU mode. Google if not sure.

4. Restore your IPW but don't forget to push shift key then the restore button.

5. Point the restore to where you downloaded and saved location. Once you find it select the IPW to do the restore.

6. ITunes will go through it's process and it will give you a error don't worry that is normal.

7. Now your iPhone should be in recovery mode.

8. Now use tinyumbrella to kick it out of recovery mode.

9. Now you should be in the active screen meaning you don't see the emergency screen.

10. Now make sure you are on wifi. Open your browser and type in jailbreakme.com

11. Let jailbreakme do it's thing. When done you should get a message stating your jailbroken. Bammm your jailbroken.

12. Restart your iPhone. Now Cydia should be on there. Open and update cydia first thing. After your done updating go to search and type in ultrasn0w.

12. Install and reboot bammmm! Your unlocked.

credit go's to XFaega

22. The Following User Says Thank You to Uchemp For This Useful Post:

Nisoko9 (2010-09-24)

@uchemp, i made a mistake and restore and I end up with 4.1 I have 3G iPhone 3.1.2 jail broken before and now jail and sad can u help me to downgrade to 4.0 and I can j/b it again with jbm.com my email address is [email protected]

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Uchemp View Post
    could I use this to downgrade my Iphone 3g 4.1.

Here try this. I have done it on lots of 3G iPhones.

1. Download these items first - ( tinyumbrella - the 3.1.3 IPW )

2. Connect your iPhone to computer.

3. Put your iPhone in DFU mode. Google if not sure.

4. Restore your IPW but don't forget to push shift key then the restore button.

5. Point the restore to where you downloaded and saved location. Once you find it select the IPW to do the restore.

6. ITunes will go through it's process and it will give you a error don't worry that is normal.

7. Now your iPhone should be in recovery mode.

8. Now use tinyumbrella to kick it out of recovery mode.

9. Now you should be in the active screen meaning you don't see the emergency screen.

10. Now make sure you are on wifi. Open your browser and type in jailbreakme.com

11. Let jailbreakme do it's thing. When done you should get a message stating your jailbroken. Bammm your jailbroken.

12. Restart your iPhone. Now Cydia should be on there. Open and update cydia first thing. After your done updating go to search and type in ultrasn0w.

12. Install and reboot bammmm! Your unlocked.

credit go's to XFaega
    Wrong, for all idevices, to restore to 4.xx , you need to point your hosts file to Cydia if Apple has stopped signing the firmware (you can only do the restore if you have shsh blogs with Cydia).

Between line 8 & 9, once you use tiny umbrella to error out, you will be at Emergency Screen. Now there are two ways to go about if you are at 4.0 or 4.0.1.

If you want to use Jailbreakme.com, you have to put a sim card in to activate, only then you will reach the Springboard. From Safari, apply jailbreakme.com

If you don't have a valid sim, then from Emergency Screen, you will have to run Redsn0w 0.9.5b5-5 to hactivate and jailbreak for you. Remember to point to 4.0 ipsw when running Redsn0w.

Once the jailbreak is performed, provided your Baseband is unlockable, Unlock with Ultrasn0w.

If you are downgrading from 4.1 to 4.0 or 4.0.1, you cannot unlock your iphone because the baseband for 4.1 cannot be unlocked at the moment. (Eventhough you have downgraded your firmware, your Baseband cannot be downgraded.)
    Last edited by iYeow; 2010-09-19 at 07:30 PM.

25. The Following User Says Thank You to iYeow For This Useful Post:

IndivisibleP (2010-09-19)

Alright, first of all, I thank everyone for giving their advice and helping out those of us who dont know zip.

I have tried to get something of an idea about the steps of this thing before I attempt it (for the first time). I think/hope i have enough now to just give it a try and see what happens (in a good way).

So i am on iOS 4.1 on a 3G with no saved SHSH blobs (that i know about. I bought the phone used and actually dont know if the previous owner/s had jb it.... would like to find out though, if any one knows how i can check?) The baseband is the presently un-unlockable one (i forget the numbers now) and so my goal is just to get it downgraded to 4.0.1 jailbroken and not unlocked.

So let me just give a dummy list of what I think I should do, and I am hoping the experts will weigh in and set me straight before I can do something dumb.

1. Get Tinyumbrella (the only download I could find for OS X was labeled as 4.1.3, I hope thats the ticket
    because thats all i could get)

2. Use Tiny.u to downgrade to 3.1.3 (by the way i have no clue how to do this. If its not a one or two click
    self explanatory thing, maybe someone can give a heads up. i'll consult with Mr.Google first though, of
    course...)

3. From 3.1.3 I use redsn0w to jailbreak (and then I can/should save SHSH blobs on Cydia?)

4. Then I use PwnageTool or sn0wbreeze to re-upgrade to 4.0.1 (which will ready be j.broken? or i need to j.b
    again?)

5. Then just enjoy it for the time being until i can unlock it...

Now please notice, all experts, that i didnt mention anything about how to actually physically do these steps (i.e connect iphone first/last/??? , turn on/off itunes, hold home button, or power, or both, etc. "restore", turn on dfu / kick it out, etc etc etc). I didnt leave them out because it was implied that i knew these rudiments and would breeze through them. It means i have no idea about them - what they mean, or how to do them.

I will seek the help of MrGoogle, but feel free to jump in if you can help an see that i am hopelessly lost.

thanks all.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast