Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Upgrade and preserving baseband

Default Upgrade and preserving baseband
    Hello hope someone can help

i have a 3gs new bootroom on 3.1.2 with baseband 05.11.07 and shsh saved since 3.1.2 for all firmware. Now i was wondering if i could upgrade to 4.0.1 without changing my baseband?
    By updating through suriks server would this preserve my baseband?

Thanks in advance

No, the only way to maintain your baseband is by upgrading to 4.0 using the Pwnagetool method.

Thanks for that can you give me a source to read instructions on how to use that. I read that it was not possible on new bootroom

Thanks
    Thanked 2,764 Times in 2,652 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Tspoon View Post
    Thanks for that can you give me a source to read instructions on how to use that. I read that it was not possible on new bootroom
    Yes, new bootrom cannot use Pwngage tools, atleast for now. You have to restore to stock firmware if you want to upgrade.

thanks for your help everyone. I finally sorted it out. I didn't want to update my baseband to the latest one attached with IOS 4.1 since it has not yet been hacked and may never be hacked.
    For those who want to know what I did, as i had my shsh saved in cydia i retrieved them locally using tiny umbrella and then updated using the TSS server from tinyumbrella.

thanks for all your help.

Your baseband would have been upgraded to 5.13.4 once you updated to 4.0.1, luckily that baseband can still be unlocked using ultrasn0w.

I upgraded to 4.0.1 using TU from 3.1.3, and my baseband also upgraded to 5.13.4, can this be possible?
    so that your baseband does not upgrade, yo have to use TU using the TSS server and clicking restore or upgrade in iTunes right?
    and I heard we can upgrade to 4.1 using TU... but to upgrade to 4.1 how and for what would you use TU?

thanks in advance

Thanks
    Thanked 2,764 Times in 2,652 Posts

First you have to download the latest TU version 4.1.3, then grab 4.1 shsh blogs and store it locally. Start TSS server, and do the restore, the verification will be done thru the TU, when restored, the BB will remain unchanged but the OS 4.1 will be installed. I cannot confirm this , if anyone can confirm this would be great.

for some strange reason, when I check on my iphone the SHSHs in cydia I only have up to 4.0.2... why dont I have 4.1?.. sorry haha

My iPhone is a Part of Me Trooper Sam's Avatar
    Thanks

The way I read it on The Firmware Umbrella:

"Note that this will only work while Apple is signing 4.0.2 SHSH requests. This is due to the way Apple now updates/restores Baseband Firmware for the iPhone 4 different from the way it did to prior devices. Lucky us..."

So, the method stated MAY only work for the iPhone 4. There was also talk of being able to downgrade the baseband, but that was only for as long as 4.0.2 was being signed, which has apparently come to an end.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Trooper Sam View Post
    The way I read it on The Firmware Umbrella:

"Note that this will only work while Apple is signing 4.0.2 SHSH requests. This is due to the way Apple now updates/restores Baseband Firmware for the iPhone 4 different from the way it did to prior devices. Lucky us..."

So, the method stated MAY only work for the iPhone 4. There was also talk of being able to downgrade the baseband, but that was only for as long as 4.0.2 was being signed, which has apparently come to an end.
    No more i4 baseband downgrades. The nonces for 01.59.00 will not be signed by Apple anymore; therefore, no dice. Sucks too, because the i4 actually allows for baseband downgrades out of the box--with the corresponding signed nonces.

You can still upgrade to 4.1 using TinyUmbrella and preserve the baseband on an iPhone 4 (and the iPhone 4 ONLY) using Semaphore's instructions. But if you've lost the 01.59.00 for 02.10.04 you're stuck and will be for a loooooooong time.