Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Problems Restoring 4.01

Default Problems Restoring 4.01
    Hi all,

I have an iPhone 3GS that was jailbroken with the jailbreakme.com jailbreak on 4.01. Cydia reported it had shsh blobs for a bunch of v.3 and 4.01 and 4.02 on file for me.

I'm attempting to sell the phone, and wanted to erase my personal information so I hit the "erase all settings" option in preferences, and the iPhone no longer boots. I get the apple logo, a spinning wheel that eventually stops spinning and that's it.

I tried to do a dfu restore of 4.01 but I continually get error messages about "this device is not eligible for the requested build." I've tried with my /etc/hosts using both cydia's servers and with the Umbrella TTS server started and referring to 127.0.0.1.

Does anyone have any recommendations? Is there a good way to check to see if my shsh blobs are actually cached with cydia? Any other suggestions on what I might try?

Thanks in advance for any help!

Thanks
    Thanked 17,645 Times in 8,025 Posts

You can check with tiny umbrella if you have SHSH or not, Just click on advanced choose the firmware for your iphone that you want to restore to , then click save my SHSH. If you get no errors then cydia has them.
    You can check my guide for more info on restoring using tiny umbrella:http://modmyi.com/forums/general/725...e-restore.html

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Simon For This Useful Post:

slashmacs (2010-09-08)

Quote Originally Posted by x98car View Post
    You can check with tiny umbrella if you have SHSH or not, Just click on advanced choose the firmware for your iphone that you want to restore to , then click save my SHSH. If you get no errors then cydia has them.
    You can check my guide for more info on restoring using tiny umbrella:http://modmyi.com/forums/general/725...e-restore.html
    Just tried this, after discovering the trick of using System Profiler to grab the ECID number. I get this response:

09/08/2010 12:11:40.562 Processing SHSH Request...
    09/08/2010 12:11:40.582 Asking CYDIA for SHSH blobs for iPhone3GS 4.0.1 (8A306)... 09/08/2010 12:11:47.979 SHSH SUCCESSFULLY saved! [Click Here to Open]
    09/08/2010 12:11:48.008 You have saved your SHSH locally and the request was sent to CYDIA. This means that CYDIA DOES have your SHSH. Do NOT bug semaphore about the Cydia home page showing this version.
    That seems promising, but I still get the "this device isn't eligible for the requested build" error. I've tried with both iTunes 10 and iTunes 9.2.1.

Anything else you can think of I might try? Would it be worth doing a stock apple restore of 4.0.2 to get a working system, then trying to downgrade from that? The only thing that makes me nervous is that I haven't ever gone higher than 4.0.1 on this phone before.

Thanks
    Thanked 17,645 Times in 8,025 Posts

Make sure it is in dfu mode when restoring (you should have a black creen when in dfu). If still not working try using that 3GS downgrade assistant I link to at the bottom of my guide. If that doesn't work try another computer if you have access to one.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Simon For This Useful Post:

slashmacs (2010-09-08)

Quote Originally Posted by x98car View Post
    Make sure it is in dfu mode when restoring (you should have a black creen when in dfu). If still not working try using that 3GS downgrade assistant I link to at the bottom of my guide. If that doesn't work try another computer if you have access to one.
    Thanks for the help! I figured out the problem I was having, and it was my own fault.

I use ssh proxies for all of my web browsing, so it can't be snooped on via open wireless hotspots.

Unfortunately, the requests going back to Apple were hitting the proxy and being tunneled through another machine, and therefore never saw my custom routes in /etc/hosts. As soon as I turned off the proxy, I was able to do the restore of 4.0.1 on my phone without any problems.

Thanks again for the helpful responses, and hopefully this forum topic might help others in the future.