Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: downgrading 4.0 to 3.X

Default downgrading 4.0 to 3.X
    whats the easiest way to downgrade 4.0 firmware to any 3.x? wanting to downgrade so i can install custom keyboards etc. also are you still able to use winterboard themes the same way if i do downgrade?

any help is appreciated...

2. The Following User Says Thank You to t0ker For This Useful Post:

Evolution_on_ deck (2010-09-07)

It depends what iDevice you have. If you have a 3Gs, then follow the steps below. There are 2 methods.

Method 1

1. Point your host file to Cydia - add these line in your host file (74.208.10.249 gs.apple.com) and do a shift+restore and use the official Apple firmware for 3.1.2/3.1.3 - You can download the firmware from this site or iClarified (iClarified - iPhone - Where To Download iPhone Firmware Files From)

Method 2

2. Get the blobs from Cydia using TinyUmbrella and do a local server upgrade
    a. Download the latest version of TU (4.02.05 I think)
    b. Run TU, connect your iPhone, click on the Advance tab. Choose which blobs you want to get from Cydia (Select Cydia-Saurik as the repository) and click on Save my SHSHs. The blobs will be retrieved from Cydia and will be save in your local machine
    c. Change your host file to add this line 127.0.0.1 gs.apple.com
    d. Run the TSS server from TU
    e. Open iTunes and run the shift+restore using the 3.1.2/3.1.3 firmware

You should be good to go.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to azraeil For This Useful Post:

Evolution_on_ deck (2010-09-07)

um pardon me for being new to this but how do i go about directing the host file to cydia?

If you are usign Windows, the host file should be in this directory c:/Windows/System32/drivers/etc/

Open it using notepad/wordpad but make sure when you saved it after making changes that the file has no extension (i.e. .txt etc)

On a Mac, open Finder and Click on Go (I think) and Select Go To ... type ~/private/etc/ (or just type /etc). Saving the host file on a Mac is a bit tricky. You have to copy the file out to the Desktop and edit it using Text Editor. Once that is done, you have to drag back teh file into the folder you copied it from and it will ask you for the admin passwod.
    Last edited by azraeil; 2010-09-08 at 06:10 AM.