Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Upgrade iPhone 3GS 3.1.3 to 4.0.1

Exclamation Upgrade iPhone 3GS 3.1.3 to 4.0.1
    hi everybody!
    now that we can jailbreak iOS 4.0.1, I would like to upgrade to that version, but after trying all day, I haven't been able to fix error 3194.
    I have stored my SHSHs flies on cydia for 3.1.3, 4.0, 4.0.1, 4.0.2, and I have tried to do the downgrade method to install the 4.0.1, using cydia's server as if it were apple's, but gives me the error 3194. to check, the file hosts must have 74.208.10.249 gs.apple.com right?
    after trying several times this method, I tried using TinyUmbrella to restore it, saving my SHSH file for 4.0.1 in my computer and then starting the TSS server and doing the shift+restore, but after trying again and again this method, giving always the same 3194 error, I decided I needed help. (haha)
    note: once, only once, i had different error, i think error 3104, but dismissed it thinking it was the other typical one.
    a month ago, i downgraded my iphone to 3.1.3 correctly and without a problem using cydia's servers, i dunno what can be happening right now..

to finish with, thank everyone for any type of help

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to isacrack For This Useful Post:

Ronald carmon (2010-09-08), Yaran (2010-12-27)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,764 Times in 2,652 Posts

Have you added this to your hosts file when running tss server
    127.0.0.1 gs.apple.com
    and the rest put a # sign to ignore.

yes, i did it but i0ve checked again to verify, but what confuses me is when you tell me "to your hosts file" you are reffering to the normal hosts or the hosts.umbrella?
    now i have tried putting in both hosts files the # on everything except the 127.0.0.1 gs.apple.com, but gave the same error 3194

Thanks

Did you receive my PM ? I am refering to the normal hosts file on pc when running tss server.

My iPhone is a Part of Me Trooper Sam's Avatar
    Thanks

Wait...which version of iTunes are you using?

i am currently using version 9.2.0.61

I am always receiving the error 3194... after changing everything every time... what can it be? and its solution?
    Last edited by isacrack; 2010-09-05 at 10:54 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

My iPhone is a Part of Me Trooper Sam's Avatar
    Thanks

I just had a wonder if you were using the new iTunes 10, if it might cause something like this. But no, I can't guess what's causing this. Have you tried on a different computer? Or maybe the same computer after a restart? Different sync cable?

yes, i think i'll start to try all those different things..
    but, the 127.0.0.1 localhost has to be with the # or without it when trying on the cydia servers and in the TU?
    and also, when using TU, in which mode does it have to be, on recovery, dfu or activated? because for the cydia servers method it has to be on dfu but on the TU i dont know..
    Last edited by isacrack; 2010-09-05 at 11:38 PM.

Thanks

I would mark all of them with # and leave only the one that points to Cydia if you are verifying with Cydia.

Funny, guys who do not have shsh blogs can do it with this :

http://modmyi.com/forums/general/727...0-4-0-1-a.html

But you have all the shsh, and you can't get it to restore to 4.0.1 ipsw.
    Last edited by iYeow; 2010-09-06 at 01:49 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Ok...i have had some serious problems in the past...
    I have a iphone 3g was running on 4.2 and got ALL messed up! so, in order to get it out of the recovery mode loop i went back to 3.1.3. it is ready to go now to be jailbroken on 3.1.3...however, i need a 4.0 or higher to run the over drive media ap that i really need for work (helps your rent library books on your phone and i really use this a lot for work). soo...what are the steps to do this without totally messing up my phone. i am not very smart with computers so please take it slow and explain all the steps if you can help or know someone that could help. i really appreciate all the help you could give
    ps...i do not have a mac and i also bought the jailbreakme program a while back because i thought i needed to. dont care about losing info but care about it being jailbroken to 4.0 or higher

thanks again if you can help me do this one

Thanks

Check with Tiny umbrella to see what shsh blobs you have. You can only restore to firmware which has shsh blobs save in cydia.

i ran tiny unbrella and none showed up. what do i do? i do have another iphones in the home can i get them from there? not really sure what shsh blobs are and how that works?

just kidding...i have these saved when i ran the save my shsh blobs...is this what i need??

iPhone3G 4.0 (8A293)
    iPhone3G 4.0.1 (8A306)
    iPhone3G 4.0.2 (8A400)
    iPhone3G 4.1 (8B117)
    iPhone3G 4.2b3 (8C5115c)
    Last edited by gophers; 2010-12-28 at 02:13 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Thanks

If you want to get to 4.1 and yet be able to unlock, make sure you update itunes first, then run redsn0w to put you only into dfu mode and then run itunes : shift + restore to custom firmware of 4.1 created by Snowbreeze 2.0.2 or 2.1.