Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: How to Downgrade iphone 3GS 4.0.2 to 3.1.2 or 3.1.3 if not previously jail broken?

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    Thumbs down How to Downgrade iphone 3GS 4.0.2 to 3.1.2 or 3.1.3 if not previously jail broken?
    I have two 3GS iphones that I upgraded to iOS 4.2, and I need to downgrade them both back to 3.1.2 or 3.1.3.

They weren't jail broken before I upgraded, so I don't think that Cydia has the signatures.

I'm very confused about what is and isn't possible. So can experts here tell me which of these 3 situations best describes the possibility of getting these things downgraded back to where they were so the demos can run again?

1) out of luck permanently because I don't have the signatures from 3.1.x?

2) out of luck for the moment, until some new exploit in 4.0.2 is found?

3) This if fixable now by an expert here who knows how to do it and get your back to 3.1.x. right now?

1) If this is a permanent thing, I need to know that there is no point in researching it further.

2) If it is a just for the moment thing If so, where should I be checking for an announcement when someone has fixed whatever needs to be fixed for me to proceed? What kind of announcement should I be looking for?

3) And If there is a way to do this downgrade ight now? Can someone help walk me through it?

I've spent the last two full days reading modmyi.com, Saurik's pages, BigBoss' pages, watching various youTube videos etc. and a lot more. I've updated /etc/host files, tried Restores and DFU, jail breaking with PWNage and Black Rain. I tried to downgrade from 4.0.2 to 4.0.1 in order to use a 4.0.1 jailbreak exploit, but it didn't work. I upgraded /etc/host to point to cydia, but I don't see the "make my life easier" message. So I really don't know whether I now have signatures on file or not, and I don't know to check, etc. I tried to work through this myself, but I am realizing that there is so much I don't know, that I really need some handholding by an expert

Background

Both units are: iphone 3GS 16GB: model MB3716LL, iOS 4.02,

I screwed up. I upgraded the iOS when I shouldn't have.

I see people talking about MB and MC and about a new boot rom and and old one.

These iPhones are from one of my clients who is a start-up who is trying to raise some money to hire some people to build a full fledged mobile app. The demo is critical for investors to understand what the user experience will be like.

The demo ran just fine under 3.1.2 and 3.1.3. But iOS 4 totally hoses the GUI of these apps and makes them unusable. Since the purpose of these demos is to raise the money needed to build the final product, the fact that there is no longer a working demo is a major problem. Since my screwup caused the problem, it is my responsibility to fix it.

I want to downgrade the iPhones back to 3.1.2 or 3.1.3. But the bad news is that I don't have the previously signed versions, and didn't do a restore via Cydia before.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dreamer94086 For This Useful Post:

Sebasromantic (2010-09-22), [email protected] (2010-09-23)

I had to register just to reply to you, since your post sounds like it easily could've been written by me. And after this day, I can't say or think of anything else but "SHSH blobs". Whatever you are trying to do, everything depends on these BLOBS.

I think that without the SHSH blobs your effort trying to restore the device is, unfortunanely, just a waste of time. I'm in the exact same situation as you and I've been doing research on this case all day, but just a couple hours ago I had to face the fact that I'm probably sentenced to life using the iOS 4. Luckily I could still restore to a jailbreakable version (4.0.1) after I messed up the the 3.1.3 restore. I actually tried restoring to every version from 3.1.3 down to 3.0.0 with every single method available, and even tried improvising a little. No luck, no luck, no luck, ****.

I didn't even own an iPhone before the iOS 4 came out, so my chance in these blobs were ****** up when I first hooked the phone in iTunes. Of course I was like OOOOH new firmware and clicked 'Accept' on everything that came by. And now I'm in this situation, sentenced to burn in the red flames of death of the devil's creation, iOS 4.

Well... Maybe someday we will be blessed with a nerd that can solve this problem. Join me and lets start keeping our fingers crossed. Oh and regarding the 3 situations, I REALLY hope that we are in the second one.
    Last edited by Zydiac; 2010-09-02 at 08:35 PM.

My iPhone is a Part of Me Trooper Sam's Avatar
    Thanks

Use TinyUmbrella to see if MAYBE there might be saved blobs. It can't hurt to check.

Ultimately, though, unless you can pull blobs from Cydia, you're not gonna get those devices downgraded.

Thanks

I think you'll find if you run tinyumbrella it'll pull shsh's for 4.0.1 from cydia for you.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    I did run Tiny Umbrella and It was able to retrieve SHSH blobs for 4.0, 4.0.1 and 4.0.2 for both iPhones, but NO 3.1.x SHSH blobs.

From what I have read and tried, I am guessing that means that there is no way to downgrade these 2 phones back to 3.1.x without the SHSH blobs.

Do I have that right?

Thanks

Yeah, if you've checked, and there are no 3.1.x blobs to retrieve, then you're not going back to 3.1.x. You do have blobs for 4.0 and 4.0.1, so you CAN downgrade by that much. Sorry I don't have better news for you.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    Unfortunately the 4.0 changes are what screwed up the GUI for their app, and I need to go back to 3.1.x to get it to run again.

:-(

Thanks

Then most likely, your only solution would be to find different devices that will run the demo.

Thanks

use irecovery

Quote Originally Posted by eddietah View Post
    use irecovery
    Enlighten us how this would help us getting away from the curse of iOS 4.

Why can't these blobs just be available to anyone?! Or can these blobs ever be bypassed by some glitch? I know they're personal, but... Make some blobs that's optimized for everyone!
    Last edited by Zydiac; 2010-09-03 at 09:08 AM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by eddietah View Post
    use irecovery
    Yes, I'd love to hear this!

What about this $24.99 piece of software called unlockanyiphone.info ? I found it on tweeter while searching for 3GS 4.0.2 downversion. I am on the same boat as dreamer94086 but, in my case, what happened was that I got a 3GS from a friend who recently upgraded to an iPhone 4. He's with AT&T so he never had JB or done anything with the 3GS (other than upgrading to 4.0.2 and now making it hard for me to JB the phone). Has anybody heard anything about this unlockanyiphone software?

Thanks
    Thanked 2,764 Times in 2,652 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by camred View Post
    What about this $24.99 piece of software called unlockanyiphone.info ? I found it on tweeter while searching for 3GS 4.0.2 downversion. I am on the same boat as dreamer94086 but, in my case, what happened was that I got a 3GS from a friend who recently upgraded to an iPhone 4. He's with AT&T so he never had JB or done anything with the 3GS (other than upgrading to 4.0.2 and now making it hard for me to JB the phone). Has anybody heard anything about this unlockanyiphone software?
    Don't pay, they are all scammerrs.