Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: how do i downgrade iphone 3G from 4.0.2

Default how do i downgrade iphone 3G from 4.0.2
    i need my phone unlocked but im in 4.0.2 so how do i downgrade to make that possible?

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jesbian For This Useful Post:

Moa123 (2010-09-04), Walle01 (2010-09-03)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,764 Times in 2,652 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by jesbian View Post
    i need my phone unlocked but im in 4.0.2 so how do i downgrade to make that possible?
    You do not need to downgrade, at OS 4.0.2, run Redsn0w 0.9.5b5-5 and point to 4.0 ipsw. This redsn0w will hactivate, jailbreak for you.
    Once you have finished jailbreaking, go to Cydia and install Ultrasn0w to unlock.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to iYeow For This Useful Post:

jesbian (2010-09-01)

how long is it supposed to take for ultrasnow to download? i tried it earlier and it seemed like it froze

Thanks

Do not install too many repos from Cydia. It takes a long time to download and it will freeze your iphone 3G.

Does yellow snow work?

Quote Originally Posted by Me twenty three View Post
    Does yellow snow work?
    I beleive yell0wsnow was just an unlock program but i know it wont work it was pointed only torwards os 3.0

Edit: read it wrong you knew that already lol but no yell0wsnow wont work

Thanks

I read from somewhere that you can but can't remember where

But redsn0w would be best like yeow said save the hastle of having to downgrade.. And ive used redsn0w on my buddies iphone 3g and it worked smooth

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    Just to be clear just or jailbreaking my IPhone 3G with 4.0.2 fw all I would need to do is the instructions above with redsnow? I have never jailbroken my phone and don't have any shsh saved according to tiny umbrella. Thanks in advance for the responses.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Miami64 View Post
    Just to be clear just or jailbreaking my IPhone 3G with 4.0.2 fw all I would need to do is the instructions above with redsnow? I have never jailbroken my phone and don't have any shsh saved according to tiny umbrella. Thanks in advance for the responses.
    The 3G does not need any SHSH blobs saved to restore to any firmwares prior to 4.0 (using redsn0w for any firmware does not need any blobs, and you can restore to any custom-made firmware without SHSH blobs if you're already jailbroken). Trying to restore to any stock firmware version 4.0 and later, however, will require blobs.

Once you've jailbroken with redsn0w and run Cydia, you will probably be prompted with a button that says "Make my life easier, thanks!" Click that, and you will not have to worry about SHSH blobs for that device anymore. If you see "TSS Request Pending" or "This device has SHSH blobs on file for iOS:" you're already set.

Good luck. Oh, and avoid upgrading to iOS 4.1 next week, especially if you care about SIM unlock.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    I don't believe I understand one part of your reply where you say that if you're already jailbroken. I have never jailbroken my phone and I'm new to the jailbreak scene. Sorry if this question comes off as dumb. I just don't want to ruin my phone and I'm trying to make sure I have a complete understanding of what to do. Thanks for the fast reply also

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Miami64 View Post
    I don't believe I understand one part of your reply where you say that if you're already jailbroken. I have never jailbroken my phone and I'm new to the jailbreak scene. Sorry if this question comes off as dumb. I just don't want to ruin my phone and I'm trying to make sure I have a complete understanding of what to do. Thanks for the fast reply also
    No problem, I'll elaborate.

Let's say we have an iPhone 3G that has never been jailbroken, like yours. The only way we can jailbreak that device is using a program outside of iTunes or Xcode like redsn0w, blackra1n, Spirit, Jailbreakme, etc. to get your device jailbroken for the first time (or to get it jailbroken following a restore of the device's firmware to stock Apple-approved).

Once it's already been jailbroken with redsn0w (but not Spirit or Jailbreakme), and you need to restore (or upgrade) the firmware without losing your jailbreak or SIM unlock, you can use a custom IPSW made by a program like Pwnagetool or sn0wbreeze so you can restore or upgrade your firmware version through iTunes without losing either the jailbreak or unlock.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    Thanks you were very helpful. I believe I got it now

Quote Originally Posted by yeow202 View Post
    You do not need to downgrade, at OS 4.0.2, run Redsn0w 0.9.5b5-5 and point to 4.0 ipsw. This redsn0w will hactivate, jailbreak for you.
    Once you have finished jailbreaking, go to Cydia and install Ultrasn0w to unlock.
    Hey I have an iPhone 3G I just upgraded it to 4.0.2 but I want to jailbreak my iPhone is it possible.Frankly I've never jailbroken my device so I'll be doing it for the first time moreover I don't know too much
    technical specifications like SHSH etc. Do you still think I can jailbreak my phone (Please note my device is the official one and it had been jailbroken but somehow it went into recovery mode and I had to update it to 4.0.2 and right now it's not jailbroken) Please let me know the solution , One last thing is it gonna easy for me to jb because I'll be doing it for the first time.
    Thanks in advanc.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    I have read the guide to run redsnow and can't get past where it says to select corresponding IPSW for your current firmware. I have read the guide for redsnow and downloaded the 3g 4.0 firmware but when I browse for it in redsn0w it wont recognize any of the files in the folder as IPSW files. How do I correct this to find the IPSW files. This is my first time to jailbreak so sorry for the dumb questions?

Thanks

When you are running Redsn0w , if you are either going to jailbreak either 4.0, 4.0.1 or 4.0.2, you have to browse to 4.0 ipsw. If the downloaded file is in a .zip or .rar format, all you have to do is rename the .zip or .rar to .ipsw ( you will then see it in a cube like form, this is your 4.0 ipsw )