Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Unable to downgrade from 4.02 even with SHSH blobs

Default Unable to downgrade from 4.02 even with SHSH blobs
    Hi all new member but longtime lurker.

I have browsed the forums here for a couple of years and have learned alot from all the member posts to solve problems whenever they popped up on my iPhone. I don't know what happened, but my phone restarted and locked up requiring a restore. I have been completely out of the JB loop and was unaware of the restrictions Apple had implemented. I had been running FW 3.12 as it was preinstalled from the factory and had JB'ed with Blackrain. Also the phone is a factory unlocked unit from Hong Kong 3GS model MC133ZP.

I have tried unsuccessfully to downgrade the phone. I have been trying for about a week and a half now. I did select the option in Cydia since 3.12 quite a while ago to "Make my life easier". I have run TU to verify that I have blobs for 3.12 up to 4.02 and cached them locally. I have followed the instructions to the letter to modify the hosts file, DFU mode, set up a local server with TU, made sure that the server started, and always get the 3194 error. I have tried to restore to 4.01 going down the line back to 3.12 with no luck. I pinged the TU server, and when trying the hosts file for Cydia, pinged and did a trace route to verify the requests were being sent. I disabled Peer Guardian and my firewall to make sure the ports were allowed access and still no luck. Itunes always returns the same error. I am using a factory sync cable plugged directly to my PC. If you need screenshots I will post. It is 11:35pm as I type this so I may not get back to anyone right away. Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated as I have lost alot of the functionality I previously enjoyed about my phone. Thank you all for your time.

My iPhone is a Part of Me Madman604x's Avatar
    Thanks

try this:

-put phone in DFU mode, do a shift+restore (using 3.1.2 FW)in itunes. it WILL FAIL
    -wait for itunes to detect your phone again, do ANOTHER shift restore. once again it will FAIL.
    - Use redsn0w 9.4 and do a Jailbreak but UNCHECK all the options.

your phone, hopefully, should boot normally.

Quote Originally Posted by Madman604x View Post
    try this:

-put phone in DFU mode, do a shift+restore (using 3.1.2 FW)in itunes. it WILL FAIL
    -wait for itunes to detect your phone again, do ANOTHER shift restore. once again it will FAIL.
    - Use redsn0w 9.4 and do a Jailbreak but UNCHECK all the options.

your phone, hopefully, should boot normally.
    Hi Madman,

By meaning it will FAIL, could you describe what kind of failure it will produce, like a description of some sort?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Tmaloy View Post
    Hi Madman,

By meaning it will FAIL, could you describe what kind of failure it will produce, like a description of some sort?
    When he says it'll fail, he means it'll the restore will end with a 10xx error (most likely a 1015) rather than any 3xxx error. After you've gotten your second 10xx error, using Umbrella's "kick out of recovery mode" button will get you a functioning iPhone 3GS. It should then be unlocked on activation, and then you can blackra1n/Spirit/jailbreakme to jailbreak.

What I think is worth a shot is not using Umbrella at all: just use the modified hosts file (74.208.10.249 gs.apple.com) and grab the blobs straight from Cydia. 3xxx errors almost always mean incomplete/missing/bad SHSH blobs, so maybe Umbrella just isn't getting the blobs to your device.
    Last edited by Orby; 2010-09-01 at 07:09 AM.

Hi Gents I have tried the proven method of downgrading the phone using cached SHSH blobs since they are on the Cydia server, I have modified the hosts file according to the guides, verified with and stored them locally with TU and I still get the 3194 error while shift+restore clicking to downgrade. I have never been able to get to the 1015 error to use TU to kick it out. I'm at a loss to describe what may be the problem. I have attached a screenshot of TU, is there something else that should be there?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails -shsh-blobs.jpg  

Hi all, I am posting a ping and trace route of my test to the Cydia server from the edited hosts file on my PC. Could someone verify if theirs is taking a similar path? Thanks.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails -ping-trace-results.jpg  

Have you tried doing the local server route? Instead of pointing the host file to Cydia, you can point it to the TSS Server.

1. Get the SHSHs blobs from Cydia and saved it locally (Use the latest TU - 4.02.05 I think), do not mess with your host file at this time, comment out anything that refers to Cydia. Click on Advance, choose the SHSHs of the firmware you'd like to get from Cydia and click on SAVED MY SHSHs.

2. Once you have the SHSHs saved locally, edit the host file and point gs.apple.com to 127.0.0.1

3. Run the TSS Server on TU

4. Do your restore via iTunes.

You should be able to downgrade using this method.

From my original post:

"DFU mode, set up a local server with TU, made sure that the server started, and always get the 3194 error. "

To clarify, I also killed the service running on port 80 using the netstat command to find out what process was using the port so TU would be the only process on that port. I have tried both the edited hosts file and TU server unplugged from the internet and no joy.

I am going to try and downgrade on another computer, unfortuneately it is a little netbook, so I am going to update to the latest Itunes, copy all the older firmwares that my blobs say I am eligible to, and the latest TU, and see if that will succeed, either that or shutdown my anti-virus on my desktop and try again.

Hi all,

Well I updated my little netbook with all the files and apps to downgrade my phone and SUCCESS! I am now restoring my phone back to 4.01 there must be something on my desktop PC that affects the downgrade process. Did not change the hosts file, just ran TU checked all firmwares on Cydia, cached locally, and started a TU server and restore is in progress, just waiting for the 1015 error to pop up now. Thank you all for your help and suggestions it is most appreciated. Now I gotta make sure nothing happens to my netbook...LOL!
    Last edited by Tmaloy; 2010-09-01 at 12:56 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost