Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Downgrade iOS 4.0.2 to 4.0.1 / 4.0 Without SHSH Blobs

Thanks

Well... I don't think we (those of us saying it's not possible to downgrade without blobs) were wrong, it's just we had no clue Cydia seems to have 4.0 blobs for everybody.

Trooper Sam, I'm not particularly worried that we're revealing something fixable--we've already got a lot, if not all, of the blobs and will keep pulling them for new firmwares...

(Saurik, if these magical blobs for everybody are news to you, please PLEASE save all the blobs for ECIDs 0x0 to 0xFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF for the two 8920 devices--make everybody's life easier? Assuming your hosting bills won't skyrocket out of the stratosphere).

My iPhone is a Part of Me Trooper Sam's Avatar
    Thanks

Agreed, this probably isn't too bad to have get out...but it is a gamechanger. I'd hate for this gamechanger to bring somebody down.

I'm a little bit naturally paranoid, it's a function of my job. Even when I can't really articulate what might be wrong, I often can't shake the feeling. That's what I'm feeling right now.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Trooper Sam View Post
    Agreed, this probably isn't too bad to have get out...but it is a gamechanger. I'd hate for this gamechanger to bring somebody down.

I'm a little bit naturally paranoid, it's a function of my job. Even when I can't really articulate what might be wrong, I often can't shake the feeling. That's what I'm feeling right now.
    I hear you, this does seem too good to be truly "out of nowhere" per se. Perhaps we should axe this thread, and just tell people to check their blobs and "go with the (possible) magic."

If we really have chanced upon a way to sign any past blobs, we're almost assuredly going to run into a nonce-signed sequel to the SHSH blobs for firmware restores in the future.

Drinks the Kool Aid Captinsmooth's Avatar
    Thanks

Ok so I just tried this on my roommates newer 3gs about a month old. I checked with tu first and it has no shsh blobs on file. I did the restore via the instructions with the edited firmware. An the restore fails every time due to verification issues. I tried by setting the host file and tried with TU TSS sever.
    This post infers no rights and is provided as is.

Click here to follow me on twitter

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Captinsmooth View Post
    Ok so I just tried this on my roommates newer 3gs about a month old. I checked with tu first and it has no shsh blobs on file. I did the restore via the instructions with the edited firmware. An the restore fails every time due to verification issues. I tried by setting the host file and tried with TU TSS sever.
    Check again later with TU. I think it would be most interesting if blobs did in fact appear where previously there were none.

Thanks

I just tested another random ECID, and it had 4.0.1 blobs hosted with Cydia.

Captain, PM me the ECID of that 3GS, lemme take a stab at it.

Thanks

I wish I knew the range of ECIDs so I could have a look-see too.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by orbyorb View Post
    I just tested another random ECID, and it had 4.0.1 blobs hosted with Cydia.

Captain, PM me the ECID of that 3GS, lemme take a stab at it.
    Sent.

Is the # in front of the numbers in your host file by chance? I know once it fail the # gets in front and take it out

Thanks

Sent.
    You should check my response. I have a feeling you're gonna like it.

Thanks
    Thanked 17,645 Times in 8,025 Posts

Let me guess, it had SHSH after all

Thanks

I so want to repeat this experiment...but I can't.

Thanks

So I just went back to the other laptop that I am doing this on and it still only shows the phone having shsh for 4.0.2 but on my pc I can check it and it shows it having 4.0.

Still won't allow a downgrade.

I have noticed you can choose any ecid and any firmware and use tinyumbrella to check for the shsh blobs. Except it returns every shsh blob with every firmware that was ever made. I doubt this reflects cydias real database though.
    Last edited by Captinsmooth; 2010-09-02 at 04:14 AM.

Thanks

So I just went back to the other laptop that I am doing this on and it still only shows the phone having shsh for 4.0.2 but on my pc I can check it and it shows it having 4.0.

Still won't allow a downgrade.

I have noticed you can choose any ecid and any firmware and use tinyumbrella to check for the shsh blobs. Except it returns every shsh blob with every firmware that was ever made. I doubt this reflects cydias real database though.
    Huh, I just checked another ECID sent to me of a never-jailbroken phone... it had 3.1.3 and later blobs, but no 3.1.2 blobs or 3.1 (only ones I checked).

All four SHSHs I have for this particular ECID (3.1.3, 4.0, 4.0.1, 4.0.2) are returning different sha512 digests, so I believe they're different files (and thus Cydia isn't outputting the same blob for any two of these versions). Can't test the restore or accuracy of these blobs though, as I don't have that device in front of me.

I'll double-check with yours again Capt. Smooth... and I still will post the ones I came up with somewhere for you to check against/try if you'd like.

EDIT: Smooth, for your ECID ending 3D2D (hexadecimal) I have blobs for 4.0, 4.0.1, and 4.0.2. They all return different sha512 digests, so I believe them to be three unique files. Cydia did not have any blobs for 3.1.3, 3.1.2, or 3.1 (all I checked).

EDIT2: All seven SHSH blobs referenced in this post have unique sha512 digests--Cydia isn't outputting one file for all 4.0s, for example.

EDIT3: The first ECID set I was referring to downgraded to 4.0.1 just fine. However, I think that device may have been jailbroken before, so... possibly an irrelevant point. :/
    Last edited by Orby; 2010-09-02 at 05:45 AM.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Orby For This Useful Post:

reeko (2010-09-03)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by orbyorb View Post
    Huh, I just checked another ECID sent to me of a never-jailbroken phone... it had 3.1.3 and later blobs, but no 3.1.2 blobs or 3.1 (only ones I checked).

All four SHSHs I have for this particular ECID (3.1.3, 4.0, 4.0.1, 4.0.2) are returning different sha512 digests, so I believe they're different files (and thus Cydia isn't outputting the same blob for any two of these versions). Can't test the restore or accuracy of these blobs though, as I don't have that device in front of me.

I'll double-check with yours again Capt. Smooth... and I still will post the ones I came up with somewhere for you to check against/try if you'd like.

EDIT: Smooth, for your ECID ending 3D2D (hexadecimal) I have blobs for 4.0, 4.0.1, and 4.0.2. They all return different sha512 digests, so I believe them to be three unique files. Cydia did not have any blobs for 3.1.3, 3.1.2, or 3.1 (all I checked).

EDIT2: All seven SHSH blobs referenced in this post have unique sha512 digests--Cydia isn't outputting one file for all 4.0s, for example.

EDIT3: The first ECID set I was referring to downgraded to 4.0.1 just fine. However, I think that device may have been jailbroken before, so... possibly an irrelevant point. :/
    So this would lead us to believe that Saurik's server is actually generating the shsh's not just returning saved ones?

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jkmonkey View Post
    So this would lead us to believe that Saurik's server is actually generating the shsh's not just returning saved ones?
    Yes. For every ECID of a 3GS, Cydia will return a working 4.0.1 SHSH. Even devices with ECID numbers that are well out of range of what Apple has made yet, have working SHSHs for 4.0 and beyond, stored (or generated rather) on/from Cydia's server.

I actually think we should let this thread die. I'm guessing that if Saurik wanted this public, he'd make an announcement.
    We're all just toymakers in the game of life.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to dhamien For This Useful Post:

reeko (2010-09-03)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by dhamien View Post
    Yes. For every ECID of a 3GS, Cydia will return a working 4.0.1 SHSH. Even devices with ECID numbers that are well out of range of what Apple has made yet, have working SHSHs for 4.0 and beyond, stored (or generated rather) on/from Cydia's server.

I actually think we should let this thread die. I'm guessing that if Saurik wanted this public, he'd make an announcement.
    I'm now quite sure he's generating them.

Though I personally cannot generate an entire SHSH blob, I can get ~98% of it with only another blob of the same firmware and another blob from that device.

I bet the server can predict that last 2%, I haven't been able to piece it together by hand yet.

(We probably should delete this thread ASAP now. Mods... go nuclear on this *****?)

Thanks

Yes, don't just close, delete!!!

so you guys are saying that if i bought a 3gs with 3.1.3 firmware and jb and click make my life easier then saurik's server will also create previous 3.1.2 for me automatically?

Thanks
    Thanked 17,645 Times in 8,025 Posts

No, they are coming up with SHSH for 4.0/4.0.1 if never previously saved. Not as far back as 3.1.3 unless make my life easier was pressed when 3.1.3 was still being signed by apple.

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast