Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Downgrade iOS 4.0.2 to 4.0.1 / 4.0 Without SHSH Blobs

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by x98car View Post
    Could you pm me your ecid so I can confirm that you dont have SHSH. Also just because cydia asks you to press make my life easier it doesnt mean that it doesnt already have SHSH on file for you, it just means there isn't a recent cache to show so it has to be updated.
    His 4.0 and 4.0.1 files are on Cydia now. He said so on BigBoss' site. He says that they weren't there before, but by using the method described on the site, they were then stored.

Personally, I still believe they were there all along.

Just to add, I almost want to upgrade to stock 4.0.1 and jailbreak to see what Cydia says when I run it the first time. Although, this wouldn't be exactly like what the other users experience since I have in fact at some point pressed the 'Make my life easier' button.
    Last edited by dhamien; 2010-08-31 at 04:57 PM.
    We're all just toymakers in the game of life.

Thanks

I haven got the phone o hand, but it has shsh on file now, well, pending last time I checked. I'll PM you the ecid later.

I got this phone bricked at 3.X firmware and the only thin I could do was update to 4.0.2. Nothing else would work. The guy I got it from had it from new and he was one of the 'what do you mean plug it in your computer an sync?' kind of people - it's never been played with on the jailbreak side before.

I trust bigboss regards the make my life easier pop up as that's what I thought originally and I'm sure he knows his ****.

The only way to discount this working is if people like me are lying. We are not.

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by reeko View Post
    I have done this on a 3GS out the box at 4.0.2.
    No SHSH on file and it downgraded to 4.0.1 successfully.

Please see
    downgrade iphone 4.0.2 without shsh | iPhone News, Help and Guides

There are links I have uploaded to an already modified firmware, all you need to do is edit your 'host' file + DFU restore.

Please don't tell me it's impossible - I can understand your thinking and logic but for some reason this is working and it only seems to be for the 3GS

And explain to me why last week, I couldn't downgrade to 4.0.1, with the stock and edite 'host' file. If I had SHSH on file it would have gone through.

Now I follow these instructions I can downgrade, and not only can I downgrade, as more proof that my SHSH where not on file, after jailbreaking I'm presented with the 'make my life easier' screen - sure fire proof the SHSH have not been backed up before.

This works. God knows how, but it does. Rather than explaining why technically it shouldn't work, accept it does an try and explain why.

I am one of the people bigboss is talking about that could be 'lying' in his update. I know what's happening, I understand everything people re saying about why it's impossible - but listen here - it works and it Sid for me.
    Consider this, if none of your SHSHs were stored on Cydia and you did as described, modified two firmware files, and then edited the hosts file and got the downgrade and the 4.0.1 SHSH was then saved. Why do you also have 4.0 saved? Where does that come into the picture?
    We're all just toymakers in the game of life.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by dhamien View Post
    Consider this, if none of your SHSHs were stored on Cydia and you did as described, modified two firmware files, and then edited the hosts file and got the downgrade and the 4.0.1 SHSH was then saved. Why do you also have 4.0 saved? Where does that come into the picture?
    Where have you got 4.0 from? Cydia still says 'pending request' last time I checked.

If it said 4.0 was available then I would know the SHSH ha been backed up before.

I got the phone at 3.X and it went straight to 4.0.2, it's never been at 4.0.

And hello dhamien, nice to see your trying to disprove this over 2 separate forums now. I'm just trying to help people and let them know it does work!

Just in case people don't click links, this is what bigboss has written:

Semaphore claims that the users must have had an SHSH on file. That when they used Saurik’s server, it responded with the SHSH on file and that’s why the restore works. When CodeBlue presented this method last night, I told him the same thing. But multiple users are presented with the “make my life easier” dialog in Cydia after doing this method. Make my life easier will never appear if you already have an SHSH on file for any firmware. What people don’t realize is that once you make an SHSH request in Cydia, it’s a one-time deal for life. You are requesting SHSH on file for every firmware starting with the current one being signed. It does not matter what firmware you are currently running. *If your restore worked because, as Sempahore’s post indicates, you had an SHSH on file already, then when you loaded Cydia, you would see the SHSH on file for xxxxxxx screen and you would never see the “make my life easier” screen.
    Last edited by reeko; 2010-08-31 at 07:15 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

My iPhone is a Part of Me Trooper Sam's Avatar
    Thanks

I'm grasping at straws now, but I was thinking...what if Apple's TSS servers have been sporadically signing? Instead of a hard and complete shutdown the occasional request is being honored?

One other thing I'd like very much...for Saurik to show a timestamp for each SHSH.

Drinks the Kool Aid Captinsmooth's Avatar
    Thanks

This is a statement from the creator of tinyumbrella on the whole downgrading from 4.0.2 without shsh blobs on file.
    The Firmware Umbrella

Downgrade 4.0.2 -> 4.0.1: Of Myths and SHSHs
    There is much discussion on many blogs about a potential means of downgrading iOS 4.0.2 to 4.0.1 by simply changing a couple values in the buildmanifest.plist and copying all of the images from 4.0.1 into 4.0.2 and then deleting the files ending with 002. Following all of this, perform a DFU restore and somehow you will be on 4.0.1.

There is a perfectly logical explanation for all of this and I will lay out exactly what is happening and explain why it is working for the folks that are the lucky ones.

Let me get this out first.

1. This is not a miracle, at least not in the sense you all hope for
    2. SHSHs are STILL required for any iPhone 4, iPhone 3GS, iPad, iPod Touch 3G, and iPod Touch 2G (MC Model)
    3. There is NO way around this... unfortunately this method included.

Let me start by explaining something very important. The buildmanifest is used by iTunes to build much of the TSS request that is used to obtain your SHSH for any given firmware revision. Unfortunately, the BuildNumber has no part to play in the request for SHSH. All that you ended up doing in following these directions is request 4.0.1 SHSH blobs. THAT IS ALL. Since every single one of you that got this to work changed your hosts file to point to Cydia, Cydia responded to the TSS request with an SHSH blob that was ALREADY "on-file". There was no magic. There was no miracle, apart from the lucky break that your device had been put on Cydia's SHSH request list at some time in the distant past.

That's it in a nutshell folks. There was no amazing technique for bypassing Apple's TSS. There was no amazing exploit that exists in DFU mode allowing for 4.0.2 -> 4.0.1 downgrading. It's simple; Cydia had your SHSH because at sometime in the past either:

* Someone saved your SHSH with that device using TinyUmbrella and the default options
    * Someone restored that device with Cydia in the hosts pointing to gs.apple.com
    * Someone jailbroke the device and pressed 'Make my life easier'

That's it folks. Sorry to be a buzzkill but there was much confusion about this issue and many blog posts that simply didn't give the full story of what exactly was going on.
    Posted by The Firmware Umbrella at 7:43 PM Comments (45)
    This post infers no rights and is provided as is.

Click here to follow me on twitter

Thanks
    Thanked 17,645 Times in 8,025 Posts

I already posted this but thanks. Post #22

Thanks

Ok, have you read bigboss comments on that.

If the SHSH had been on cydias server, it would not have said 'make my life easier' after the downgrade.

Your perfectly right in what your saying, but your wrong because this is working an completely defying what you have set out.

Everything I have explained completely debunks that theory, and I'm not an isolated incident.

If you have a 3GS on 4.0.2 never jailbroken I urge you to do this and record it just as proof!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by reeko View Post
    Ok, have you read bigboss comments on that.

If the SHSH had been on cydias server, it would not have said 'make my life easier' after the downgrade.

Your perfectly right in what your saying, but your wrong because this is working an completely defying what you have set out.

Everything I have explained completely debunks that theory, and I'm not an isolated incident.

If you have a 3GS on 4.0.2 never jailbroken I urge you to do this and record it just as proof!
    Is your cydia still saying pending tss request or has it updated yet? As far as the "Make my life easier" thing I am not so sure BigBoss is 100% right on this. I wouldn't mind some clarification from Saurik on this but don't know if that is going to happen. Like I said in an earlier post what if you didn't get your SHSH by pressing make my life easier in cydia. What if you got them via tiny umbrella or changing your hosts files. I think in these cases cydia would still ask the question yet it could still have SHSH on file before it asked. Btw I would love if this method did work, it would be great for people with otb iphones, just not convinced yet.

Update 2 from big boss downgrade iphone 4.0.2 without shsh | iPhone News, Help and Guides this could explain this method and Dough Boy's previous threads on this matter. Just because you think you may not have SHSH on file in cydia doesn't mean you don't.
    Last edited by Simon; 2010-08-31 at 10:22 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Thanks

It still says pending, as it did when I first pressed make my life easier.

Any more explanations?

Thanks

Just wait it will change eventually. Did you have the ecid like I asked earlier? I would like to check it in tiny umbrella just to see if it's cool with you.

Thanks

Okay, something really, really weird is going on here.

I picked 5 ECIDs at random:

0x5DA34211C
    0x4C4AA3123D
    0x4C4AA3123DE
    0x9FCCAA1312
    0xADCCAD2215

and asked Cydia via Umbrella if each device had 4.0.1 blobs on file for a 3GS.

All five did. I'm not even sure if all five ECIDs are in the range of assigned 3GS devices.

Let's assume that the chance of any one particular iPhone 3GS having backed up blobs is at 10% (and that's really generous in my opinion). The odds of me picking five ECIDs that were legitimately backed up by their owners is 1 in 10^5, or one in one hundred-thousand. I'm nowhere NEAR that lucky.

Somebody had to have run a script, or Cydia can still get blobs from somewhere (possibly forging them). That's all I can think of.

Thanks

The plot thickens

Thanks

I'm working away today, will be home in a couple hours. Got my girlfriend to check the cydia message but I don't think she would manage to get the ecid. I'll pm you it in the morning when I get some sleep.

Will it tell you when the shsh where backed up?

@orbyoeb ye that is weird. Only thing I can say on that is that if sauriks server is registering that these downgraded 3GS have SHSH on file then the 'make my life easier' popup wouldn't come up??
    Last edited by reeko; 2010-08-31 at 11:39 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Thanks

Unfortunately no, just whether or not they are backed up.

Thanks

Well I pressed 'make my life easier' so I guess it will say they are, which will then make everyone say 'i told you so', even though I couldn't downgrade a week ago using the edited 'host' file (because my shsh weren't on the server then)

Ok, bigboss has updated again:

downgrade iphone 4.0.2 without shsh | iPhone News, Help and Guides

Ok, all I need explained now is why a week ago I couldn't downgrade using the edited 'host' file. If my blobs were saved it should have downgraded last week aswell as this week. The phone has collected dust since I last tried so' I've done nothing.

If he server had my shsh it shouldn't have asked 'make my life easier' and if it did get my blobs I would really like to know how - saurik saying more are saved than necessary sounds like something fishy is going on. I know it's harmless but the whole opt in thing made me trust saurik
    Last edited by reeko; 2010-09-01 at 12:03 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Thanks

Ya something strange is definitely going on here. I work on a few phones every week so hoping I come across one without SHSH that I can do some testing on.

Thanks

My roommate has a 3gs that is only a month old an has never been jailbroke. I will try this on his phone and see if it works.

Thanks

Try using tiny umbrella first just to confirm that there are no SHSH before you try.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by x98car View Post
    Try using tiny umbrella first just to confirm that there are no SHSH before you try.
    Thats my plan is to check it first. It should not have any backups of blobs because it was bought brand new from at&t, its a 8gb 3gs mc model. He knows nothing about jailbreaking it so I know he didnt save them.

I have a few theories on this whole thing. Even though I am very doubtful that it is truly working and not just oversights of people that did not realize they had blobs saved.

4.0 4.0.1 and 4.0.2 all use the same shsh blobs because they were all just hasty patches that were needed for quick damage control. So that allows this downgrading. Not likely but its a thought.

Apple is issuing these 3gs 8gb phones now for 99$ so maybe they are refurbs they are selling as new. So maybe the previous owners had saved the blobs from them. Wouldn't surprise me if apple pulled some crap like that...

People just do not realize that once they save their shsh blobs for one firmware that it always saves them from that point on.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast