Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: 3GS 4.0.2 downgrade 4.0.1???

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    Default 3GS 4.0.2 downgrade 4.0.1???
    Hey I just got a 3GS with 4.0.2 installed with the new bootrom! I want to downgrade to 4.0.1 so I can jailbreak with jailbreakme! It was not jailbroken before so I don't have SHSH saved! Someone please help!!

2. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Hospy94 For This Useful Post:

Felix2152 (2010-09-04), Koko513 (2010-08-30), Narutoisk1 (2010-09-18), SteveC280 (2010-09-01), Vikakuchmiy (2010-08-31)

Thanks
    Thanked 17,645 Times in 8,025 Posts

There is nothing you can do but wait for the next jailbreak. You should use tiny umbrella to make sure that you dont have SHSH for your iphone, you never know.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    And will the next jailbreak for sure jailbreak my model because it is also an MC model??

Thanks

Nothing is for sure but in my opinion I would say yes

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Hospy94 View Post
    And will the next jailbreak for sure jailbreak my model because it is also an MC model??
    Models do not apply to iPhones the same way they do for iPod touches.

No jailbreak now, make SURE you back up your current 4.0.2 SHSH blobs using Umbrella (The Firmware Umbrella).

I know of (but that's it) a private bootrom exploit+iBoot exploit (Geohot's "pwned4life"/Chronic Dev's true "greenp0ison") that will probably be used for iOS 4.1 and the iPT4G, and considering there's a baseband upgrade in 4.1 for all iPhones (thus killing the current ultrasn0w unlock), that jailbreak could be ported to run on 4.0.2 as well...

No promises, all hearsay from various twitter accounts, don't ask me OR them!

So save those blobs! And don't upgrade to 4.1 when it comes out! They could come in handy...

I was able to downgrade today!
    Here is what I did, and it worked for me:

Download the 4.0.1 firmware called: iPhone2,1_4.0.1_8A306_Restore.ipsw

When it finishes downloading, rename the file to this name:
    iPhone2,1_4.0.2_8A400_Restore.ipsw

Then I added the "74.208.10.249 gs.apple.com" line to the host file on my computer. If you need help with this, read saurik's instructions:
    Caching Apple's Signature Server - Jay Freeman (saurik)

Restart your PC!

When everything is back up and running, open iTunes

Put your iPhone on DFU Mode (search YouTube for how to put your iPhone in DFU Mode, its easy)

Once your phone is on DFU mode, plug it in to the USB cable.

iTunes will tell you that your iPhone is in recovery mode.
    Hit OK

Press the Shift key, then click on the "Restore" button.
    Search for the file you renamed to iPhone2,1_4.0.2_8A400_Restore.ipsw
    (I found it here: iClarified - iPhone - Where To Download iPhone Firmware Files From)

It should work!
    It worked for me.
    I just now jailbroke it by going got JailbreakMe from my iPhone

This phone had never been jailbroken and had no SHSH saved anywhere.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to nelesq For This Useful Post:

1069mexican (2010-09-18), AppDump (2010-09-18)

Well that's another method, glad it worked for you!

Anyone else looking to downgrade follow this link.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Dough Boy For This Useful Post:

nelesq (2010-08-31)

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by nelesq View Post

Then I added the "74.208.10.249 gs.apple.com" line to the host file on my computer. If you need help with this, read saurik's instructions:

Restart your PC!

Put your iPhone on DFU Mode (search YouTube for how to put your iPhone in DFU Mode, its easy)

Hit OK

(I found it here: iClarified - iPhone - Where To Download iPhone Firmware Files From)

It should work!
    It worked for me.

Just so you know, you didn't have to change the file name. Simply editing the hosts file was enough. And your SHSH was in fact stored on Cydia. You just didn't know about it.
    We're all just toymakers in the game of life.

Quote Originally Posted by nelesq View Post

Restart your PC!

Hit OK

It should work!
    It worked for me.

This method above worked for me, too... I muffed up my 3Gs going from 3.1.2 to 4.0.. So, I restored to 4.0.2, then downgraded to 4.0.1, using the instructions above me here. Thanks!

EDIT: And apparently Cydia claims I had SHSH on file for everything from 3.1.2 all the way though 4.0.1... So, I guess, as you had said before.. I had SHSH on Cydia, just didn't realize it..
    Last edited by SeanEboy; 2010-08-31 at 07:20 PM.

Once you store any SHSHs in Cydia (be it 3.1.2 etc etc), Cydia will AUTOMATICALLY store the proceeding SHSHs from Apple for you (how nice is that!). So if you are currently on 3.1.2, you will see (when you start Cydia) a note saying that it has SHSHs blobs for 3.1.2, 3.1.3 4.0 and 4.0.1 stored.

Default Got myself locked out and on the itunes screen
    My iPhone was previous unlocked and had cydia running, but i dont recall saving the shsh ever. Is there a way to know if my shsh is saved somewhere?

Thanks

Download tiny umbrella, click on advanced, choose the different firmwares you see and press save my SHSH for each one. The ones you dont have will produce an error.

Default Help!!
    Hi, while trying to downgrade my 3gs from 4.0.2 to 4.0.1 to allow the jailbreak,I tried to put the phone into DFU mode by holding down both the power & home buttons (as directed by Saurik). The phone locked itself & now wont power up at all!!
    Can soeone please help me to unlock this a.s.a.p?? Thanks.

Thanks

plug in the iphone then hold the power and home button until you see the apple logo or the charge battery logo. Be patient it can take up to 30 seconds sometimes holding those two buttons for the iphone to boot out of dfu.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Simon For This Useful Post:

Ellmo (2010-09-18)

Quote Originally Posted by x98car View Post
    plug in the iphone then hold the power and home button until you see the apple logo or the charge battery logo. Be patient it can take up to 30 seconds sometimes holding those two buttons for the iphone to boot out of dfu.
    Thanks X98CAR, I got it out of DFU,but now have another problem. I'm trying to downgrade it from 4.0.2 to 4.0.1 so I can jailbreak it. (it's new). I followed the steps by nelesq posted on this site. When do the restore & it checks something with apple, it comes back with Unknown error 3194 & won't accept the firmware.
    Do you know what I'm doing wrong(if anything) & how I can get it to downgrade?? Would appreciate any help with this. Thanks & Regards, Ellmo.

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Ellmo View Post
    Thanks X98CAR, I got it out of DFU,but now have another problem. I'm trying to downgrade it from 4.0.2 to 4.0.1 so I can jailbreak it. (it's new). I followed the steps by nelesq posted on this site. When do the restore & it checks something with apple, it comes back with Unknown error 3194 & won't accept the firmware.
    Do you know what I'm doing wrong(if anything) & how I can get it to downgrade?? Would appreciate any help with this. Thanks & Regards, Ellmo.
    You aren't doing anything wrong and you won't be able to downgrade. A downgrade requires an SHSH file to be stored on Saurik's server. This file is unique to each iDevice so you can't use anyone else's. The file also needs to have been stored, by you (on Saurik's server or locally), while Apple was still signing the 4.0.1 firmware. They stopped doing that on August 19th, so there's no way for you to get the file now.

Quote Originally Posted by dhamien View Post
    You aren't doing anything wrong and you won't be able to downgrade. A downgrade requires an SHSH file to be stored on Saurik's server. This file is unique to each iDevice so you can't use anyone else's. The file also needs to have been stored, by you (on Saurik's server or locally), while Apple was still signing the 4.0.1 firmware. They stopped doing that on August 19th, so there's no way for you to get the file now.
    The person who posted the steps I'm following, to do the downgrade, had no shsh stored anywhere & the phone hadn't been broken.
    Several other posts reported success following this???

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

The person who posted the steps I'm following, to do the downgrade, had no shsh stored anywhere & the phone hadn't been broken.
    Several other posts reported success following this???
    The SHSHs were on Cydia's server, the people were just not aware of it. Altering the hosts file means you tell iTunes to contact Cydia's server instead of Apple's servers, when attempting a downgrade. But it requires that Cydia has the right SHSH for you, otherwise the downgrade will fail with a 3194 error.

You might see a lot of people claiming that they did it without stored SHSHs, but each and every single one had changed their hosts file before the downgrade worked for them, meaning they were contacting Cydia which in turn means they were using stored SHSHs.

Quote Originally Posted by dhamien View Post
    The SHSHs were on Cydia's server, the people were just not aware of it. Altering the hosts file means you tell iTunes to contact Cydia's server instead of Apple's servers, when attempting a downgrade. But it requires that Cydia has the right SHSH for you, otherwise the downgrade will fail with a 3194 error.

You might see a lot of people claiming that they did it without stored SHSHs, but each and every single one had changed their hosts file before the downgrade worked for them, meaning they were contacting Cydia which in turn means they were using stored SHSHs.
    I did change the host file in the way instructed. Should I go back there & try re-entering the address on the host file?? Or any other suggestions?

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

I did change the host file in the way instructed. Should I go back there & try re-entering the address on the host file?? Or any other suggestions?
    As I said, you can't downgrade at all. You can contact Cydia's server all you want, but as your 4.0.1 SHSH isn't there, you won't be able to downgrade.