Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Have I killed my 3GS?

Default Have I killed my 3GS?
    Hey guys. I got an iPhone 4 and so I am giving my Mum my old 3GS. It was on 4.0.1 and was jailbroke via jailbreakme.com. I have local copies of SHSH blobs for 3.1.3, 4.0 and 4.0.1. TinyUmbrella also shows these SHSH's have been saved.

So rather (stupidly!) than do a full restore, I used the settings.app do delete and erase all content & settings. It's stuck on the apple logo with a spinning wheel - been like that for an hour.

So I done a hard reset (power + home for 5-10s) until it turned off - I then held the home button, connected to iTunes and kept it held until it entered recovery mode. I started the TSS server (and yes, I've already added 74.208.10.249 gs.apple.com to my hosts file), went to iTunes and shift-clicked restore. Selected a 4.0.1 ipsw that matches my saved blobs and after trying to verify the restore with Apple, it fails and gives an error 3194

Do I need to restore for 4.0.2 for iTunes to 'sign' the firmware, and then can I downgrade by starting TSS and doing shift-click and choosing the 4.0.1 IPSW?

Thanks

Your getting the error because you edited your host file to cydia's server AND started the TSS server. Try doing it without umbrella running. Editing the host file is enough.

Ohh, I see... So basically use either one or the other? TSS or Hosts file?

Cheers mate - I thought both were necessary. However, I actually got it sorted. Hosts file had the modified gs.apple.com server, TSS server running, but this time I tried restoring to 4.0 instead of 4.0.1 - worked first time. Now jailbroke again and downloading stuff my Mum might like.

But thanks for the info - it will come in handy if this ever happens again

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by woohoomoo View Post
    Ohh, I see... So basically use either one or the other? TSS or Hosts file?

Cheers mate - I thought both were necessary.
    Yes, for anyone else reading, always choose one or the other. When you edit the hosts file, what you're really doing is telling iTunes where to go when it wants to verify the restore. Lead it in two different directions and it can/will cause problems.
    We're all just toymakers in the game of life.