Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: HOw do I downgrade?

Default HOw do I downgrade?
    I just got my iphone 3gs from a friend that has never been jailbroken and only ran on att. He recently upgraded to the 4.0.2 Is there a way Ican downgrade to 4.0.1 and jailbreak. If it helps I am using windows 7 and i have the download for the 4.0.1 restore. Im new at this too. What is the easiest way to downgrade and jailbreak? Please help me if you can!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Tedwardo08 View Post
    I just got my iphone 3gs from a friend that has never been jailbroken and only ran on att. He recently upgraded to the 4.0.2 Is there a way Ican downgrade to 4.0.1 and jailbreak. If it helps I am using windows 7 and i have the download for the 4.0.1 restore. Im new at this too. What is the easiest way to downgrade and jailbreak? Please help me if you can!
    You're going to have to hope your friend backed up his SHSH blobs for that phone. You can check via Umbrella (The Firmware Umbrella) just plug your device in, click Advanced Options, and select 4.0.1 rather than 4.0.2. If you get the blobs, you can downgrade. If not, you cannot.

SHSH blobs are the keys (unique to each 3GS) to putting any firmware on a 3GS, and the only place to get the blobs is from Apple when a particular firmware is the most current. Therefore, it's only possible at this moment in time to get 4.0.2 blobs from Apple. Cydia/Umbrella can back them up for you so you can get them whenever, but Cydia/Umbrella must first get them from Apple (which means their first request can only be for the most recent set of blobs).

Sorry man, but no blobs means no downgrade, and it sounds unlikely your friend had them backed up.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,764 Times in 2,652 Posts

OR if you ask your friend this question, " Did you save your shsh file for this iphone " if he/she answered " what is that " , then he/has answered your question, so the answer is NO Downgrade... don't be despair.. a new jailbreak will be out when 4.1 is released.