Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Please help...iPhone 3GS

Default Please help...iPhone 3GS
    A couple days ago I bought my friend's iPhone 3GS after he bought a iPhone 4.

He was running the phone legitimately on AT&T and before giving it to me restored the phone to factory settings and running 4.0.2.

I have been trying for the past few days to jailbreak/unlock this phone so I can get it to run on my T-mobile account. (I have an iPhone 2G running just wonderfully on OS 3.1.2) But have had no luck at all. I downloaded and ran the PwnageTool, created a custom restore and started to load it. Unfortunately, every time I try it, it give me an error saying "The iPhone "iPhone" could not be restored. An unknown error occured (1600)"

I can not access Safari to go to the online jail-breaking tools because the only screen I see is the "Connect to iTunes" one.

Can anyone PLEASE give me a hint at what I need to do to get this thing cracked and working on T-mobile? I love my 2G but it is so slow (operation, not service) I really would like to have the 3Gs up and running.

Thanks in advance for any help!

Thanks

Three things...

One: iOS 4.0.2 is not jailbreakable at all on the 3GS. In order to jailbreak and thus unlock, you must downgrade your phone's firmware to 4.0.1 or lower.

Two: You cannot downgrade a 3GS's firmware without the corresponding SHSH blobs for that device and firmware. Apple is only signing 4.0.2, therefore, without those blobs for 4.0.1 (or any other firmware) backed up, you can't downgrade.

Three: You'll need a phonebook SIM or an AT&T SIM (any will work, even an old/deactivated one) to get past the activation Connect to iTunes screen.

Sorry man, but without those blobs you're stuck.

Crap...that was what I was worried about.

Is it possible to download those SHSH blobs somewhere? or are the phone specific?

As for the ATT SIm card, can you just get one of them in the ATT store?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by gimpy05 View Post
    Crap...that was what I was worried about.

Is it possible to download those SHSH blobs somewhere? or are the phone specific?

As for the ATT SIm card, can you just get one of them in the ATT store?
    The SHSH blobs are indeed phone-specific, and the only place to get them was from Apple when they were signing them. If you don't have an old set backed up by now, you're not getting them.

AT&T will probably only give you a SIM/let you purchase one if you're an active customer with them... eBay or the like probably can hook you up, or just run to Radioshack for a 'transfer contacts' or 'phonebook' SIM (they'll work until you try to swap the SIM before installing a certain jailbreak package).

Retired Moderator
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,202 Times in 1,924 Posts

Sell it and buy another 3GS with 4.0.1 or below with that money