Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: iPhone 3GS will not restore

Default iPhone 3GS will not restore
    Hi, My name is Dillon, I'm new to the forum.

Ok I have a problem maybe someone here can help me. I have an 8 GB iphone 3gs that was running ios 4.0.0, and jailbroken with jailbreakme.com.

Well, I stupidly went into settings and pressed "Ease all content and settings" when I rebooted it, it hangs on startup and will not boot.

I'm trying to restore it to os 4.0.1 so I can rejailbreak it, but it will not restore. I've used different ipsw files, DFU Mode and different computers. My HOSTS file is set to query saurik's server and the phone should be on file with cydia.

Everytime the restore either hangs or finishes with an error. the lastest one is 1601.

Anyone know what I'm doing wrong?

Thanks!!

Thanks

Hmm... two thoughts. I'd try all three during your next restore attempt.

One: try grabbing your 4.0.1 SHSH from Cydia using Umbrella (The Firmware Umbrella), and start the TSS Server inside Umbrella to restore locally.

Two: restore from DFU mode (plug iPhone into computer via USB, turn off phone, hold power and home buttons for exactly ten seconds then let go of the power button continuing to hold home for approximately thirty seconds or when iTunes recognizes a device connected in recovery mode. You'll know you've done it right when your phone's screen is blank/black and iTunes shows a device connected in recovery mode).

EDIT: Disregard iREB advice--I didn't notice you're on a new bootrom 3GS. iREB is currently unsupported on new bootrom devices.
    Last edited by Orby; 2010-08-23 at 11:14 PM. Reason: Removed iREB--unsupported. Sorry!

ok i have tiny umbrella installed, but I don't really know what i'm doing. I'm trying to "connect a device" but it's not finding my phone...

EDIT: tinyumbrella is recognizing the phone now, but doesn't show anything when I click display shsh
    Last edited by crazyman143; 2010-08-23 at 11:23 PM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by crazyman143 View Post
    ok i have tiny umbrella installed, but I don't really know what i'm doing. I'm trying to "connect a device" but it's not finding my phone...

EDIT: tinyumbrella is recognizing the phone now, but doesn't show anything when I click display shsh
    In Umbrella, have you clicked "Advanced Options" and then selected Device/Version iPhone 3GS/4.0.1 (8A306) Requested From: Cydia?

If the log at the bottom of the Umbrella windows says SHSH SUCCESSFULLY SAVED! then it should appear in the Display SHSH list.

Hope that helps.

ok... sorry for being such a noob i'm learning this as I go along...

So tinyumbrella wasn't finding the information automatically so I figured out to find the ecid and enter it manually. Now I've saved the shsh, and i have the tss server thing running. Still not getting a restore to work through itunes..

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by crazyman143 View Post
    ok... sorry for being such a noob i'm learning this as I go along...

So tinyumbrella wasn't finding the information automatically so I figured out to find the ecid and enter it manually. Now I've saved the shsh, and i have the tss server thing running. Still not getting a restore to work through itunes..
    What error message/number is it giving you? How far along in the restore process do you get before it errors out?

Quote Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
    Yea its weird i got everything working on tinyumbrella but it keeps hanging on the restore to 4.0.1 im not sure how to get passed that. Does the version of itunes have anything to do with it because im using 9.2.1?
    9.2.1 should work just fine (I use it with Umbrella all the time). If you're sure that you have the correct SHSH for your device, make sure that Umbrella's TSS server is running and able to accept connections on port 80. To test this (on XP): Hit the windows key and R, then type in "cmd" (no quotes). A command prompt should pop up. Type in "ping gs.apple.com" (again, without the quotes). The response should say "Ping from gs.apple.com (127.0.0.1)." If it instead has a number that starts with 17, then you're talking directly to Apple, and that's not gonna work, lol.

Does your restore actually hang (no progress on either the computer's iTunes bar or the phone's progress bar for more than say three minutes) or is it erroring out?

Fair warning though, we're rapidly approaching the edge of my knowledge in this realm. I'll try to help as best I can, but we may reach the point where we'll need some more help...

Thanks

Yea it hangs on the download on the mac close to the end of the bar and it hangs on 75% done on the phone for more than 3 minutes. I also tried ur test on my mac and its doing what its suppose to do. I see the ping from gs.apple.com (127.0.0.1). Hmmmm
    Okay. Hmm... you're not trying to downgrade firmware or restore to a custom-made .IPSW are you? Just a stock same-firmware or upgrade restore?

If that's the case, it might be your computer... I see nothing wrong in what you're doing, so I guess I gotta call stumped. Sorry.

Thanks

oh im actually trying to downgrade from 4.0.2 to 4.0.1...sorry if i didn't make that clear.
    Hmm... there's no baseband upgrade in 4.0.2, so I don't know why it'd hang like that (that's usually what'd cause it to hang at that point, I think).

Still calling stumped. Sorry.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Orby For This Useful Post:

crazyman143 (2010-08-25)

ok FINALLY got a restore to work.. lol. holy crap that was difficult.

Could be a fluke thing, but this is what worked. I ended up following the instructions found here, which basically just says this:

go to C: \Users\yourusername\Application Data\Apple Computer\iTunes\iPhone Updater Logs\

and just delete everything in there. So stain64, might be worth a shot for you too?
    Last edited by crazyman143; 2010-08-25 at 08:28 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost