Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: How to Upgrade or Downgrade, please help I'm stuck:(

Default How to Upgrade or Downgrade, please help I'm stuck:(
    My nightmare started today after I decided to upgrade from firmware 3.1.3 to f.w 4.0 on my iPhone 3GS. As I have already read that I can have my iphone jailbroken and unlocked as long as i stayed upto f.w 4.0.1. I think I downloaded the wrong version of f.w 4.0 from one of the youtube links. I've downloaded and upgraded to f.w "4.0 GM". Short story is that even after countless tries my safari keeps crashing as soon as i slide the bar on "jailbreakme.com" (I have tried every given option to prevent the crash but to no avail). Right now I just want to either downgrade to 3.1.3 or to 4.0.1. (I have saved SHSH on cydia's server when I was on f.w 3.1.3 about 2 months ago). Please I will really appreciate any help and guidance in this matter.

Thanks and best regards.
    Riz

Thanks

This shouldn't be too bad if you've got blobs for 4.0.1 (which you should if you know for a fact you've got 3.1.3 on file with Cydia).

Make sure your hosts file is pointed to Cydia's servers (74.208.10.249 gs.apple.com), and then do a Shift + click Restore in iTunes (for Windows) or an Alt/Option + click Restore in iTunes (for Mac OS X) and point iTunes to the 4.0.1 .IPSW for the 3GS (can be downloaded from MMi), and then try JailbreakMe again after the restore.

Good luck!

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Orby For This Useful Post:

darknight21 (2010-08-22)

Ok first thank you very much for replying so quickly. See the thing is that either I'm typing in something wrong in my search but I can't seem to find how to downgrade using the blobs. I'm totally lost where u said "make sure your hosts file is pointed to cydia's servers (74.208.10.249 gs.apple.com)" I'm sorry I'm just new to this kind of stuff. Would please point me towards a guide on how to perform the whole process or something?I'm very sure that I've saved my SHSH on cydia's servers as I always use to see that message in cydia. Thanks a lot again.
    Riz

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by darknight21 View Post
    Ok first thank you very much for replying so quickly. See the thing is that either I'm typing in something wrong in my search but I can't seem to find how to downgrade using the blobs. I'm totally lost where u said "make sure your hosts file is pointed to cydia's servers (74.208.10.249 gs.apple.com)" I'm sorry I'm just new to this kind of stuff. Would please point me towards a guide on how to perform the whole process or something?I'm very sure that I've saved my SHSH on cydia's servers as I always use to see that message in cydia. Thanks a lot again.
    Riz
    No problem.

Actually, the easiest route would be to use a program called Umbrella (The Firmware Umbrella). Just plug in your iDevice to your computer with a USB cord, open Umbrella, click Advanced Options then select Device/Version: iPhone 3GS/4.0.1 (8A306) and Source: Cydia (your ECID should automatically be filled in). Once the program grabs your blobs from Cydia, just hit the "Start TSS Server" button in the top-right and, if the server starting is successful, just do an option-restore/shift-restore in iTunes.

Umbrella will act as the server and provide your 4.0.1 blobs to iTunes, and the restore should proceed normally without further intervention on your part.

Good luck! (If you'd still rather do the host file route, just ask, and I'll detail that process instead).

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Orby For This Useful Post:

darknight21 (2010-08-23)

Hi, Ok I tried this method but I keep getting the "3002 error" while restoring. Also how do I know that "TinyUmbrella" is catching my blobs from cydia's server? I'm 100% sure that I've saved the SHSH on cydia's server. Also please, if you could explain the alternate method that would be really helpful too. Thanks a lot.
    Riz

Thanks
    Thanked 2,764 Times in 2,652 Posts

Display shsh will show you. Make sure you put your iPhone in DFU mode when restoring.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to iYeow For This Useful Post:

darknight21 (2010-08-23), Orby (2010-08-23)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by yeow202 View Post
    Display shsh will show you. Make sure you put your iPhone in DFU mode when restoring.
    ^^ is right on. "Display SHSHs" will show you, make sure that you see your ECID next to 4.0.1 in that list. Also make sure you're running the TSS Server in Umbrella before you start the restore process in iTunes.

For the host-file edit route (be very careful, dangerous. Only recommended if Umbrella is not working at all):

Windows XP: The file is located at C: (or whatever your primary drive is)\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\etc\hosts. Open that file with the text editor of your choice, and add that comment (74.208.10.249 gs.apple.com) to the end of the file. Save and overwrite the file.

Mac OS X: Do a go-to command in Finder (Command + Shift + G) and go to "/etc/" and then open the file "hosts." Add the same entry to the end of the file.

You'll know you've done it correctly if a PING command (do it from a command prompt or terminal window) to gs.apple.com returns from 74.208.10.249 instead of any IP address that starts with 17.

Please note that running Umbrella after you add that entry in the hosts file will edit it, commenting out that particular entry you just made, thereby fixing the change to how it was originally.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Orby For This Useful Post:

darknight21 (2010-08-23)

Huh man I feel so stupid right now as I've just fixed the problem, it was my itunes!!! (I was running version 9.2 and I just recently updated it to 9.2.1). Then I used the "TinyUmbrella" method again and everything worked like a charm. Even the "jailbreakme.com" went so smooth. I just want to thank everyone that helped me out especially ORBYORB (you are awesome my friend).
    Thank you...thank you....thank you and best regards
    Riz