Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: 3GS Is truly not easy ... complicated case please help

Default 3GS Is truly not easy ... complicated case please help
    Okay so here is my situation :

Iphone 3gs from the states (at&t) and i am in canada.
    New Baseband.. the phone is not "activated" so i guess this is the reason my wifi is grayed out PLEASE TELL ME IF MY WIFI SHOULD BE ON because I think it's because its locked and away from the country its from...
    (I cant do the jailbreakme trick) so the phone actually has 4.0 on it.. Never was jailbroke before.. so when I try to do redsn0w 9.5-5 it gets stuck at "waiting for reboot" .. when I try to do sn0wbreeze everything goes well just untill I get error codes..
    Is there a way to jailbreak this phone (i dont care even if threaded) or am i totally out of luck? Do you guys think if I go back to the states and get a prepaid at&t card will my wifi come back? then I will be able to use jailbreakme.. please help!!!

Thanks

Yeah, Wi-Fi should definitely be enabled as a valid option--iPhones don't normally magically stop working once they leave their native countries.

I think trying to jailbreak a new-bootrom iPhone using the 24kpwn exploit (the exploit used by both redsn0w and sn0wbreeze) is the issue--the new bootrom is hard-coded to stop that hole from being used.

I'd advise you to restore the phone to iOS 4.0 or 4.0.1 ONLY IF YOU HAVE SHSH BLOBS FOR THAT FIRMWARE and to re-activate it using the AT&T SIM that probably shipped with that American iPhone (or any AT&T SIM--I would stay away from the phonecard SIMs). Re-jailbreak via JailbreakMe once activated, unlock via ultrasn0w.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Orby For This Useful Post:

stokedv (2010-08-22)

I dont have blobs for this phone but I posess another 3gs 8gig that has shsh stored on cydia can I use those ??? are blobs things that are individual for each iphone? can somebody clarify me on this? wow im totally upset that I have a wifi problem any fixes out there that I should try before I definitely think its screwed ? Plz any advice is greatly thanked for!!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by stokedv View Post
    I dont have blobs for this phone but I posess another 3gs 8gig that has shsh stored on cydia can I use those ??? are blobs things that are individual for each iphone? can somebody clarify me on this? wow im totally upset that I have a wifi problem any fixes out there that I should try before I definitely think its screwed ? Plz any advice is greatly thanked for!!
    Unfortunately yes, SHSH blobs are unique to each ECID (Exclusive Chip ID), unique to each Apple iOS device, and each version of iOS. They are not interchangeable.

The best you'll be able to do (without SHSH blobs) is restore to 4.0.2 and activate. You'll be stuck with a phone that's not jailbroken, not currently jailbreakable, and SIM-locked to AT&T in the US.

Has this 3GS ever been jailbroken before? Did you choose "make my life easier, thanks!" the first time you ran Cydia on your 3GS if you did jailbreak? If the answer to those two questions is yes, then you might not be stuck at 4.0.2.

Also, if you used Umbrella and have SHSH blobs backed up for your phone that will work as well.
    Last edited by Orby; 2010-08-22 at 08:09 AM.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Orby For This Useful Post:

stokedv (2010-08-22)

Thanks for your reply but no as i said never been jailbroken this sucks ***.. do you guys think a jailbreak will come up anytime soon? do you guys think that there is someone out there that could unlock it ..?thats all i want .. to unlock it..

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by stokedv View Post
    Thanks for your reply but no as i said never been jailbroken this sucks ***.. do you guys think a jailbreak will come up anytime soon? do you guys think that there is someone out there that could unlock it ..?thats all i want .. to unlock it..
    The only way to get an unofficial unlock is to jailbreak the phone first.

If I were you, I'd back up your current SHSH blobs using Umbrella (The Firmware Umbrella) (no jailbreak required), and sit tight for a new jailbreak. I have no idea when a new jailbreak will come, though I imagine it will be after iOS 4.1 and the release of at least the new iPod touches.

Incidentally, I have no idea when iOS 4.1 will come out, though I would guess sometime in September of this year. I also have no idea when the new iPod touch will launch, though I imagine it will also be in September after the iOS 4.1 release.

So there's hope. Good luck.