Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Black rain of death?

Default Black rain of death?
    my serial numbers are 925...SRNM:[86925 and it will not start back up!
    No Boot on 3GS after Black Rain.... Please help

I have an iphone 3GS and I have tried over and over to get it past the apple logo it appears for 15 seconds and then goes to black. I never finished my contract with ATT cause I lost my job shortly after buy this phone. I got it maybe a month after it was first released.
    I have been trying to find a solution but Black rain knocked my phone out. It does not boot back up just get the apple icon and then it goes black

I reran Black rain many times no luck, and did the second reboot, but nothing changes. Want to unlock it and use T-mobile so don't want to go to 3.13 and if I try that will it work? I never finished my contract as I said.
    I tried downloading reverting it to 3.1 by option clicking and choosing the file off my hard drive as instructed, I get told this iphone is not authorized for this rebuild.

I tried pulling my ATT card

The unit will do the blackrain deal as many timeas as I want but then the screen just goes black after the guys pic comes up and a reboot.

I never upgraded or restored my Iphone 3GS since I bought it so I don't know why mine is still here and black. I have rebooted it back to recovery numerous times and reran Black rain but it stays the same no difference. Wheel spins with his pic it says enjoy your jailbreaked Iphone then it shuts down. Then I think it reboots to the apple logo and then after 15 seconds it just goes black like it was turned off again.

All I wanted to do was go to T-mobile but now I cant even get it to go past the restore screen

I don't pretend to know much but I am a 20 year vet of the Mac and work in graphics.

Could you please help me here? Step by step? Thanks
    Scott

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by batmmannn View Post
    my serial numbers are 925...SRNM:[86925 and it will not start back up!
    No Boot on 3GS after Black Rain.... Please help

I have an iphone 3GS and I have tried over and over to get it past the apple logo it appears for 15 seconds and then goes to black. I never finished my contract with ATT cause I lost my job shortly after buy this phone. I got it maybe a month after it was first released.
    I have been trying to find a solution but Black rain knocked my phone out. It does not boot back up just get the apple icon and then it goes black

I reran Black rain many times no luck, and did the second reboot, but nothing changes. Want to unlock it and use T-mobile so don't want to go to 3.13 and if I try that will it work? I never finished my contract as I said.
    I tried downloading reverting it to 3.1 by option clicking and choosing the file off my hard drive as instructed, I get told this iphone is not authorized for this rebuild.

I tried pulling my ATT card

The unit will do the blackrain deal as many timeas as I want but then the screen just goes black after the guys pic comes up and a reboot.

I never upgraded or restored my Iphone 3GS since I bought it so I don't know why mine is still here and black. I have rebooted it back to recovery numerous times and reran Black rain but it stays the same no difference. Wheel spins with his pic it says enjoy your jailbreaked Iphone then it shuts down. Then I think it reboots to the apple logo and then after 15 seconds it just goes black like it was turned off again.

All I wanted to do was go to T-mobile but now I cant even get it to go past the restore screen

I don't pretend to know much but I am a 20 year vet of the Mac and work in graphics.

Could you please help me here? Step by step? Thanks
    Scott
    I'd be glad to try and assist.

Here's the situation--Apple uses a system known as SHSH blobs to prevent people from restoring their 3GS phones to anything other than the current firmware (at this time, that's 4.0.2), and that seems to be the snag you're running into in the restore department.

You can either upgrade to the current version and be locked out of a jailbreak and unlock (not advised) or try to jailbreak your 3GS using another method--I'd suggest redsn0w 0.9.3 first, and Spirit second. I'll provide download links for those if you'd like.

Default Yeah I am frustrated
    I was just going to upgrade to 4.0 but that failed as well. got a 1600 or something error, Just downloaded 3.1.3 cause new postys are going up that there is a new jailbreak called snow something or another. Is this true?Been reading for 2 days. Have not been able to restore it either using 4.0 or trying to go back to 3.0. Will the phone run dead evntually> Not sure if it is charging.
    If you have links I could try the other jailbreak options but I have read if it does not boot and you don't have a provider at present it won't work so I need to at least get it to boot. Is the new Cyndia snowbreeze for real? Ultra snow?

Failed! Won't run on my system.
    Last edited by batmmannn; 2010-08-22 at 10:55 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Thanks

Man, you need a lot of prayers. I can give you some long steps to bring back your iPhone but that depends on the state that the it is in when it's booted before it shuts down.
    If perchance that long list does not work for you, I can give you some other advice but may not work for you now but will definitely save you in the near future.
    First off, you are 3 days late. It would have been easier to instruct you to update to 4.0.1 then jailbreak with jailbreakme.com.
    I digress.
    We shall begin.
    Use google to get help with downloads because I won't be giving the links. This tutorial is going to take some time.
    Download Pwnage tool for iPhone OS/iOS 3.1.3.
    Download the iOS for the 3GS, iPhone2,1_3.1.3...
    What you are going to do is put the iPhone in recovery mode and try to restore it to a jailbroken 3.1.3. Now because you have not saved you signed SHSH files, there are no iOS that you can upgrade to now that is jailbreakable. So we can hope that the iPhone 3GS was jailbroken but something else is wrong that causes it to shut down.
    after you've downloaded those two things, drag from the virtual drive the PWNage tool app into your applications folder.
    Launch the PWNagetool application.
    Follow the instructions in creating a jailbroken ipsw. It will use the 3.1.3 firmware that you downloaded. This process should take about 5 minutes. Save the custom ipsw to the desktop.
    When it asks you if your iPhone was already jailbroken, click yes and then close the application.
    The next step is critical.
    Disconnect your computer from the internet. Remove any ethernet cables turn off wifi, etc.
    Turn your iPhone off.
    Holding the Home button on the iPhone after you took it off, connect it to the computer using the dock connector cable.
    It should now be in recovery mode and iTunes should launch shortly after.
    If iTunes has not launched, launch it.
    You will get a notification that an iPhone is connected to it in recovery mode. Click ok.
    Pressing and hold the 'Alt' key on your keyboard and click 'Restore' at the same time. You should get a dialogue requesting which iPhone firmware to restore from.
    Please chose the ipsw you created and saved to the desktop.
    Once everything is okay, it should update.
    Once the iPhone is jailbroken, you can move from jailbroken state to jailbroken image without issue.
    If iTunes cannot restore, turn the iPhone off and put it in DFU mode and try to restore from the ipsw on the desktop.You should be okay from there.
    If all of that does not work, my best advice is to upgrade to 4.0.2.
    The modem version of the iPhone 3GS is 05.13.04. It is an unlockable baseband version. However, 4.0.2 is currently not jailbreakable.
    Upgrade to 4.0.2 and use an application called Tiny Umbrella (The Firmware Umbrella) to save your 4.0.2 SHSH hashes. This is because if ever a jailbreak comes out for the next version of for 4.0.2 (which is very unlikely) you will always be able to restore to that version or downgrade to it from a higher version. You MUST do this so if you get problems later on like what you are getting now, you will be able to restore and fix the issue.
    I have an iPhone 4. One day after I saved my 4.0.1 hashes, Apple stoed signing it. The very next day I had to restore because I had some issues with the Jailbreak. I was able to restore because Cydia had cached my hashes plus I had them saved locally on the computer AND my online storage.
    If you can't get to the jailbroken 3.1.3, please, update to 4.0.2 and use the AT&T SIM until I can assist you again with an upcoming jailbreak and unlock once it is provided.
    Let me know how it goes.
    SMS: OK
    MMS: OK
    YouTube: OK
    Maps: OK
    GPS: Frikkin Awesome!!!
    iTunes Music Store: OK
    AppStore: OK
    Cydia: Speedy

5. The Following User Says Thank You to kofster For This Useful Post:

mr.sparky (2010-08-22)

Default Pawnage Tool
    Thanks I will give that a try. I can't restore it either. It might be my USB cable? Not sure.

Black Rain still acts the same if I try to update it to 4.0 it still gets a 2006 error that means bad USB,
    I have USB 1.0 and have a G4 dual 1.25, could this be the problem?
    So the phone has still not been restored but it has hit the Apple server several times trying to get it back up.

I could only find one USB cable it says Griffin on it so maybe it is not the one that came with my iPhone? I was able to load it upo with this cable when I first got it so maybe that is not the problem. What version of Pawnage am I supposed to use?

3days late? DAMN! Thas the problem with Forums, you can't tell what has changed since someone finds a solution.

Should the ATT sim card be left in or out?

As I said I never finished my contract so I am wondering if leaving the card in might get it locked once restored? Please let me know.

Thanks for your assistance.

iPhone2,1_3.1.3_7E18_Restore.ipsw

Is this the correct file? I don't want to restore to the wrong one. Thanks
    Last edited by batmmannn; 2010-08-22 at 08:43 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Thanks

Padna, you will NOT be able to update to 4.0 because Apple stopped signing those SHSH long time now. because you never updated your phone since you had it, all the SHSH from 3.1.2, 3.1.3, 4.0, 4.0.1- Apple stopped signing all of those. The only one that Apple is signing is 4.0.2 so if you can update, that will be the only software you can update too and use the AT&T SIM with.
    so if you downloaded 4.0 or 4.0.1 and tried to update, you will get the 'Not elligible for this build' error message.
    The IPSW that you have there is okay.
    Download it and follow the instructions and let me know.
    I'm accustomed bringing iPhones back from on the bring of bricked so try it.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by kofster View Post
    Padna, you will NOT be able to update to 4.0 because Apple stopped signing those SHSH long time now. because you never updated your phone since you had it, all the SHSH from 3.1.2, 3.1.3, 4.0, 4.0.1- Apple stopped signing all of those. The only one that Apple is signing is 4.0.2 so if you can update, that will be the only software you can update too and use the AT&T SIM with.
    so if you downloaded 4.0 or 4.0.1 and tried to update, you will get the 'Not elligible for this build' error message.
    The IPSW that you have there is okay.
    Download it and follow the instructions and let me know.
    I'm accustomed bringing iPhones back from on the bring of bricked so try it.
    Kofster, if we're going the custom IPSW route, why don't we have him make a custom 4.0.1/4.0.2 IPSW instead of leaving him on 3.1.x? Either he'll do a PwnageTool upgrade to 4.0.x and keep his jailbreak or he'll lose it with a stock Apple upgrade to the same place.

Then again, I think we should try to salvage what we've got currently (trying redsn0w which at 3.1.2 uses the same exploit as blackra1n before going recovery/restore), but that's my two cents.

The PwnageTool route is a good one batman, I don't mean to discourage you from attempting it. I'd just attempt redsn0w first, as it'll probably be easier for you to attempt if it works.

Default SUCCESS,... I think
    Yep its back up and with the pineapple logo. Having an issue though. I am trying to sync it and it is not moving or if it is it is very very slow. Its trying to copy an .mp3 but not moving. Is this a know issue? It asked me if I wanted to do it as a new phone or sync it. I said sync it.
    OK yeah it just switched tracks to another mp3 strange I don't remember it being so slow before. Its like 5 minutes to copy one mp3 over in the syncing,

Anyway, I am sure I am close if you have any other thoughts please let me know. I guess it is jailbroken and now with 3.1.3. OH boy, maybe I am in for a problem it took 6 minutes to copy one mp3 and I have 3,516 to go., Now what do I do????

Thanks so much.

I GOT IT! THANKS YOU ROCK! I restored again, told it to format as a new Iphone, unplugged from the internet after switching to a drive that has iTunes 9 dumped my preference .plylst file restarted iTunes 9.0 and BAM it is working! Copying to iPhone full mp3s in like 8 seconds. Going to the 4.0 software is getting reports of lags, dropped calls and problems, I thought you could not jailbrake it. I would have to learn more. I am too NOOBIE!...lol I used the Pwnage solution given above. It will be syncing for a few hours now. I have a 32 GB Iphone and USB 1.0 in my G4. I have thought of getting an upgraded card but I would rather get a good newer Mac G5.

I need a New Mac but many of my programs that I have license for are for the G4. I would have to keep this one networked when I get my new one.

I guess I have to keep this itunes for now. What solution is best to go to from here for unlock? Snowbreeze? I have wait till I sign up with T-Mobile correct?

I rarely use a cell phone, will T-Mobile allow a pay as you go plan on my iphone? I don't get good reception in my house but that might have changed looking at their coverage map there is a new tower up on our Mountain. Maybe I can finally get rid of my home phone. Thanks!
    Last edited by batmmannn; 2010-08-22 at 11:36 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Thanks

The unlock is ultrasn0w, install it in Cydia (just search for ultrasn0w). TMo in the US should let you go prepaid for an iPhone for texts and voice, not sure about cell data though.

EDIT: You may unlock either now, or just before you sign on with T-Mobile, unlocking doesn't affect your AT&T service.
    Last edited by Orby; 2010-08-22 at 11:52 PM.

Default Unlock
    I remember looking over many unlocks and may said you had to have service. I currently am not active, have been using my iPhone as an iTouch, But thanks. Don't really want data. Can I now back up my SSHH files? Can I do that fro Cyndias site? Being that I won't have a data plan I suppose I will be searching for an answer on this. Thanks for all your help. MUCH appreciated.

Thanks

You do not have to actively have cell service to unlock via ultrasn0w. It'll work as soon as you install it.

Be sure to disable cellular data if you don't get a data plan from T-Mobile (it'll otherwise cost you a fortune). You can disable data either in Settings->General->Network, or in SBSettings (Data toggle).

You may now back up your SHSHs. Open Cydia and select "make my life easier, thanks!" Note if at the top of Cydia it says "TSS Request pending for this device" or "This device has SHSHs on file for iOS..." you're already backed up. If it doesn't say either of these things, download Umbrella (The Firmware Umbrella) and run it to back up the SHSHs locally on your computer and on Cydia.

Default Thanks
    I had to delete Itunes from my main drive. I lost a lot of music but have it backed up on a drive somewhere. I misplaced that damn thing. A one TB drive with all my stuff and music. Gonna try to recover my music from an 8GB Ipod can't remember how to get it into hard drive mode but I will.

My main drive is now running iTunes 9.0 and I just downloaded the update to 9.0.3 so it can access itunes store. Looks like that is going to be locked out of that soon as well from this slow sync problem/
    I guess we need a hack for itunes now. Apple is really pissing people off.

It is now legal to download and hack our devices. They lost a court ruling. So will Apple stop anti friendly developing? They have gone from freedom thinkers to freedom deniers. It pisses me off cause I have been their BOY for 20 years! Thanks again!

Thanks

I had to delete Itunes from my main drive. I lost a lot of music but have it backed up on a drive somewhere. I misplaced that damn thing. A one TB drive with all my stuff and music. Gonna try to recover my music from an 8GB Ipod can't remember how to get it into hard drive mode but I will.

My main drive is now running iTunes 9.0 and I just downloaded the update to 9.0.3 so it can access itunes store. Looks like that is going to be locked out of that soon as well from this slow sync problem/
    I guess we need a hack for itunes now. Apple is really pissing people off.

It is now legal to download and hack our devices. They lost a court ruling. So will Apple stop anti friendly developing? They have gone from freedom thinkers to freedom deniers. It pisses me off cause I have been their BOY for 20 years! Thanks again!
    No problem. Glad to help. (As an aside, iOS 4.0 requires a minimum of iTunes 9.2 which actually is compatible with a 1GHz+ G4 processor).

Frankly, Apple has never been friendly to powerusers/hackers/developers on the mobile platform, and since mid-2009, I'd go so far to say they've been outwardly hostile. I'd say it's no longer in their nature to be nice to us. Ah well, screw 'em.

Default 4.0
    So it is for sure that 4.0 has been jailbroken and unlocked? I see videos on you tube for it.

Should I go to 4.0 now? I have heard some unkind ratings for it.
    Thanks

Thanks

So it is for sure that 4.0 has been jailbroken and unlocked? I see videos on you tube for it.

Thanks
    On the 3GS it's not all that bad (at least the 3GS I administer isn't). Both 4.0 and 4.0.1 are 100% unlockable and jailbreakable.

I've heard issues on the 3GS of greatly reduced volume output from the speakers, but they seem intermittent... no serious performance issues like on the 3G, for example.

It's your call, really. If you want the unified inbox or Apple's multitasking or some other new feature, jump for it; otherwise, there's no real reason (or reason not to) in my opinion.

Default The Extras
    Nope don't need all that stuff. Would rather have the sound working well. When they patch it later with a newer version fixing everything then I might go there. My phone is still syncing.

Just been reading about iPhone not being able to run 3G on T-mobile. One guy found a way to do it.

Have to stop reading and get back to doing what I am supposed to be doing. This stuff really eats up the clock.

Thanks!

Be sure to disable cellular data if you don't get a data plan from T-Mobile (it'll otherwise cost you a fortune). You can disable data either in Settings->General->Network, or in SBSettings (Data toggle).
    I don't have that option that I can find in either place. Are you sure that path is right? I can't find those in my phone. I will do a search.
    Last edited by batmmannn; 2010-08-23 at 05:56 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by orbyorb View Post
    Kofster, if we're going the custom IPSW route, why don't we have him make a custom 4.0.1/4.0.2 IPSW instead of leaving him on 3.1.x? Either he'll do a PwnageTool upgrade to 4.0.x and keep his jailbreak or he'll lose it with a stock Apple upgrade to the same place.

Then again, I think we should try to salvage what we've got currently (trying redsn0w which at 3.1.2 uses the same exploit as blackra1n before going recovery/restore), but that's my two cents.

The PwnageTool route is a good one batman, I don't mean to discourage you from attempting it. I'd just attempt redsn0w first, as it'll probably be easier for you to attempt if it works.
    Padna, he has an iPhone 3GS. There are no tools for custom 4.0.1 or 4.0.2. You show me that and I'll update a bunch of iPhone 3GS in my town. And with the 3GS, it is always safer to take it in stages instead of a big jump. Cause when he gets through, Then he can go to custom 4.0 and WAIT!

Thanks

Thanks
    You will not be able to go directly to 4.0 with the iPhone because you missed the boat.
    However, like I said before, you can upgrade from jailbroken software to jalbroken update. So now that you are jailbroken, google the new file named, iPhone2,1_4.0_8A293_Restore.ipsw and use the same PWNage tool I asked you to download earlier to create a custom 4.o jailbroken image and you'll be good to go. Please make sure that when you're ready to update your iPhone, you disconnect from the internet, hold the 'alt' key on the keyboard and click on restore and navigate to the jailbroken, custom image on the desktop or wherever you saved it.
    You cannot use redsn0w to jailbreak because redsn0w requires that your iPhone has installed an untouched ipsw that has not been jailbroken or tampered with.
    After you update to 4.0, please try the new tiny umbrella and see if you will be able to get your signed SHSH for the iPhone for 4.0.2.
    I am not sure if you will be able to get it. However, when I was running 4.0.1 on my iPhone, I was able to get signed SHSH hashes for BOTH 4.0.1 and 4.0.2. If you can't get it, don't worry, you'll just have to be real close to the jailbreaking scene to make sure you can catch up to at least get your SHSH on file just in case you run into problems like the one that got you in this whole hullabaloo.
    So, let me know how it goes and I'll continue to help in which way I can.
    Laterz!

PS. You're on an iPhone 3GS. You will see how sweet and smotth it runs when you run 4.0. In my opinion when I had mine, it ran better than when it had 3.1.3. Plus more of the apps are built to take advantage of the multitasking in the OS. However, you will get a problem when trying myriads of apps in Cydia. Most of the jailbroken apps have not been ported to 4.0 as yet but that is minor.
    You wont have any performance issues. Just be sure to make sure and double click your home button and quit apps that will be running in the background that will take up RAM. Other than that, the performance issues are with the iPhone 3G, really. You'll be ok and you're in good hands.

Quote Originally Posted by orbyorb View Post
    You do not have to actively have cell service to unlock via ultrasn0w. It'll work as soon as you install it.

You may now back up your SHSHs. Open Cydia and select "make my life easier, thanks!" Note if at the top of Cydia it says "TSS Request pending for this device" or "This device has SHSHs on file for iOS..." you're already backed up. If it doesn't say either of these things, download Umbrella (The Firmware Umbrella) and run it to back up the SHSHs locally on your computer and on Cydia.
    There's misinformation in there pally. Once Apple stops signing SHSH hashes, he cannot get them from Tiny Umbrella to be backed up on his computer of send the query for Cydia to back it up. The time has passed and he can't get it again. So as of right now, the ONLY SHSH he can back up is 4.0.2 by either updating to stock 4.0.2 and losing his current jailbreak and unlock until the next one comes along. Or if @notcom made the provision for tiny umbrella to pull the signed SHSH from Apple servers to be saved locally on a computer or to get Cydia to do a request to cache it irregardless of the frimware he is running.
    One of the two.
    He cannot get signed signature hashes for 3.1.2 or 3.1.3 or 4.0 or 4.0.1.
    Last edited by kofster; 2010-08-23 at 06:28 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by kofster View Post
    There's misinformation in there pally. Once Apple stops signing SHSH hashes, he cannot get them from Tiny Umbrella to be backed up on his computer of send the query for Cydia to back it up. The time has passed and he can't get it again. So as of right now, the ONLY SHSH he can back up is 4.0.2 by either updating to stock 4.0.2 and losing his current jailbreak and unlock until the next one comes along. Or if @notcom made the provision for tiny umbrella to pull the signed SHSH from Apple servers to be saved locally on a computer or to get Cydia to do a request to cache it irregardless of the frimware he is running.
    One of the two.
    He cannot get signed signature hashes for 3.1.2 or 3.1.3 or 4.0 or 4.0.1.
    I did not mean to imply he could get previous blobs, I only meant to get his current 4.0.2 blobs backed up with Umbrella (it's possible to do it without restoring the phone, just set the target device/version in Umbrella to 3GS/4.0.2 and send it through Cydia) just in case. I apologize for any confusion.

PwnageTool 4.0.1 is available from the iPhone Dev Team to jailbreak old bootrom iPhones 3GS ONLY (Dev-Team Blog) on iOS 4.0. For iOS 4.0.1 you only have to add a bundle to the PwnageTool app (made by KaatjeNL, instructions and bundle: Jailbreak iOS 4.0.1 with PwnageTool Bundles [How to Guide] | Redmond Pie). Please note that PwnageTool and the bundle are for iPhones already jailbroken with blackra1n or Spirit AND HAS THE SPIRIT2PWN PATCH INSTALLED (http://modmyi.com/forums/iphone-news...d-bootrom.html).

My 3GS old bootrom went the Spirit2Pwn and PwnageTool to 4.0.1 route, and it works like a charm. All you have to do is throw the already jailbroken old bootrom (with an iBoot exploit) 3GS into Recovery mode, and the device will happily accept any custom IPSW without checking against any SHSH blobs.

(EDIT: Sorry, this post kinda comes off like a Public Service Announcement.)
    Last edited by Orby; 2010-08-23 at 08:27 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast