Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: [HOW TO-Mac Only] Fix error "Cannot restore iphone...software too old" after downgrade

Exclamation [HOW TO-Mac Only] Fix error "Cannot restore iphone...software too old" after downgrade
    Hi guys,
    Been searching around for a day and finally found a simple, quick and free way to restore my iPhone data from old backups. There are tools out there to do the job but it's no freeware.

I've seen alex_coningham just posted a post for Windows below.
    http://modmyi.com/forums/3g-s-downgr...downgrade.html

Here's a guide for the Mac's users on how to extract the iPhone backup data and replace it manually to your downgraded iPhone.
    Kindly follow the steps below:-

1. Google & install JuicePhone. (It's free and all credits to both Noah & Jona.)
    2. Google & install iPhone Explorer. (It's freeware as well)
    3. Connect your iPhone to your Mac.
    4. Start JuicePhone. It should shows your backups on the left side table.
    5. Just select any backup based on the dates you desire, then click "Complete" button on the top right corner of JuicePhone. (It's a big orange citrus, you won't miss it)
    6. Save the extracted backup to any folder you like.
    7. After completion, you will see JuicePhone had placed all files into their designated folders nicely. (Application Data, Home & Keychains folders.)
    8. Start iPhone Explorer.

NOTE: I needed to restore my Address Book, Camera Roll, SMS & Calendar. I guess it should worked for the rest too (Notes, Recordings, Settings, etc...) Hence, the steps below are just to restore what I needed. You will have to figure out the folders for other stuffs. Just make sure you have downgraded to the same firmware version as the iPhone backup too to be on the safe side.

9. Browse to "user" folder in iPhone Explorer.
    10. Just copy & paste "Address Book", "Calendar", "SMS" to your downgraded iPhone.
    11. Camera Roll photos should be transferred to USER/MEDIA/DCIM folder.
    12. You can view the results instantly without rebooting your iPhone.

Think this work with Windows, Linux and OS X. Sorry, you have to pay for it.
    Last edited by Vivadata; 2010-08-26 at 12:46 PM.