Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Just downgraded to 4.0.1 from 4.0.2 on a device thats never been jb so no shsh's

Default Just downgraded to 4.0.1 from 4.0.2 on a device thats never been jb so no shsh's
    I did this on a 3GS 16 gig that was never jb'd and was running legit on 4.0.2

I used the youtube video while I had the latest tiny umbrella running on my vista machine(not sure if other os will effect this). After I downgraded to 4.0.1 I was then able to jb from jailbreakme.com.

Just wanted to post this in case people were having problems. I was freaking out reading about having to wait til a jb for 4.0.2 or wating til 4.1 comes out.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4H0-Fk-d3gM&feature=search]YouTube - How To DOWNGRADE iPhone 4, 3GS, 3G, iPod Touch & iPad From 4.0.2 Back To 4.0.1, 4.0, 3.1.3, 3.2.1[/ame]

If this has been known all along then I apologize for a worthless post

btw, this site rules... without it I would prob own a android haha

2. The Following 18 Users Say Thank You to Dough Boy For This Useful Post:

1slyguy (2010-08-25), Accurateguy (2010-08-24), aspire269 (2010-08-26), BDCruz (2010-09-01), Bhinder (2010-08-26), Catchem (2010-08-25), Crfazio (2010-08-22), Curupira (2010-08-24), leoho0924 (2010-08-25), locochris05 (2010-08-29), MAFIAWars (2010-08-27), pd11 (2010-08-22), r8derhed5150 (2010-08-26), Reash (2010-08-28), Supra1jz (2010-08-27), Syed shah (2010-08-27), uwrite (2010-08-26), willzoom_est1988 (2010-08-29)

I am new at this plz explain the the tiny umbrella you used and which you tube video so I can foe this too? Thanks in advance!!

I included the youtube in the original post. You can get tiny umbrella from here.

The Firmware Umbrella

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Dough Boy For This Useful Post:

uwrite (2010-08-26)

ok i see it now I was looking from my iphone I am now home tyvm, but i do have another question my phone has the new firmware and I have never had the phone jailbroken will this still work as the video stated about have something to do with shsh saved I have never done this before sorry for the dumb questions but want to learn and have no idea what to ask or do?

You should have save your SHSH just in case... But nice for you... I've been having a lot of trouble to jailbreak my iPod touch... I firstly try to downgrade from 4.0.2 to 3.1.2 and it did not work. Then I downgrade it to 4.0 and I jailbreak it from jailbreakme.com

So if I have never saved my SHSH before I can not downgrade my firmware?

Quote Originally Posted by NolimitLen View Post
    So if I have never saved my SHSH before I can not downgrade my firmware?
    That's the point to my post. I was able to do it on a 3GS that was never jailbroken(never had shsh files saved).

Maybe the cydia server just hooked me up somehow *shrugs*

Quote Originally Posted by NolimitLen View Post
    ok i see it now I was looking from my iphone I am now home tyvm, but i do have another question my phone has the new firmware and I have never had the phone jailbroken will this still work as the video stated about have something to do with shsh saved I have never done this before sorry for the dumb questions but want to learn and have no idea what to ask or do?
    Don't get overwhelmed. Just watch the video as many times as you need and start experimenting on your phone.
    Last edited by Dough Boy; 2010-08-22 at 02:59 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

ok lat qestion I am watching everything and going to try it but where do I get the new firmware to down grade to and hopefully I will be as lucky as you !

Last edited by Poseidon79; 2010-08-27 at 08:52 PM.

Thanks for your help Dough Boy it is greatly appreciated . . .CHEERS ! !

hi there ive done all this but itunes keeps saying an error accured can any one help

sorry il explain a bit more ive stupidly updated my jailbreaked 3gs to software 4.0.2 ive followed everythin off the links and the video everythin goes ok until itunes has tried to restore at version 4.0.1 then it says an error accured , and it stays on version 4.0.2 can anyone help
    Last edited by alpinestars; 2010-08-22 at 12:52 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

I dunno I follwed everything in the video and it worked great for me . . Thanks Dough Boy for your help have a great day ! ! ! !

My iPhone is a Part of Me Trooper Sam's Avatar
    Thanks

I think there's a misconception here. Your device may never have been jailbroken, but that does not mean that its SHSHs were not saved on Cydia.

TinyUmbrella, used on an un-jailbroken iDevice, will save your SHSHs locally AND to Cydia, when used properly. Jailbreaking is not a requirement to do so.

Quote Originally Posted by Trooper Sam View Post
    I think there's a misconception here. Your device may never have been jailbroken, but that does not mean that its SHSHs were not saved on Cydia.

TinyUmbrella, used on an un-jailbroken iDevice, will save your SHSHs locally AND to Cydia, when used properly. Jailbreaking is not a requirement to do so.
    The person I bought the phone from never did anything to it as far as using tinyumbrella or trying to jailbreak much less purposely saving SHSHs.

I'm still going with my original theory... somehow cydia hooked me up when iTunes was validating the 4.0.1 software.

I'm glad I was able to help out at least one person in this thread.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Dough Boy For This Useful Post:

jaideep (2010-08-25)

Thanks

Here's an important question...when did you do this?

Here's an important question...when did you do this?

8.21.2010 @ approx 2 p.m. mst

Anyone got any idea how it works on a macbook? I can't seem to find my hosts file, so think I may have accidentally deleted it at some point.

I got my iPhone a couple of days ago and upgraded to 4.0.2 without checking it could be jailbroken. Tried to downgrade, using DFU mode, to 4.0.1 firmware, but got a pop-up saying "this device isn't eligible for the requested build" and it stuck in DFU mode until I restored to 4.0.2 again. Any ideas?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by labellavita666 View Post
    Anyone got any idea how it works on a macbook? I can't seem to find my hosts file, so think I may have accidentally deleted it at some point.

I got my iPhone a couple of days ago and upgraded to 4.0.2 without checking it could be jailbroken. Tried to downgrade, using DFU mode, to 4.0.1 firmware, but got a pop-up saying "this device isn't eligible for the requested build" and it stuck in DFU mode until I restored to 4.0.2 again. Any ideas?
    Umbrella works the exact same on OS X as it does on XP/Vista/7...

EDIT: The hosts file is at /etc/hosts on OS X. If you deleted it, your computer probably wouldn't boot. (Forgot to put that in originally, sorry!)

Apple stopped signing 4.0.1 on the 19th of August, so if you didn't use Umbrella (almost guaranteed to have saved it) or clicked "make my life easier, thanks!" in Cydia on the jailbroken iDevice (all depends on when you did this, the earlier the higher the odds are Cydia has your 4.0.1 blobs) before then, you're stuck locked and un-jailbroken on 4.0.2, period. Sorry.

I pruchaded my iphone BRAND NEW and it has never been put on anything and I did upgrade to the 4.0.2 update and all if Dough Boy's info provided WORKED PERFECTLY for me and my GF phones and I am so greatful for the help ONE last time Dough Boy TYVM

Thanks

Okay, to summarize:

- More than one of you had iDevices with no blobs saved on Cydia.
    - More than one of you found yourselves updated to, or even already running 4.0.2
    - More than one of you used the instructions in the video (commonly accepted downgrading instructions) despite the lack of saved blobs
    - More than one of you succeeded anyway, despite the lack of saved blobs

Okay, I suppose we can chalk it up to some kind of miracle, but I don't believe we can treat it as something reliably repeatable.

However, for those in this thread that said it works...how about you post up a screenshot of your Cydia home screen? Not an unreasonable request, I don't think.

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast