Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: how to downgrade 3GS from iOS 4.0.1 to 3.1.2

Default how to downgrade 3GS from iOS 4.0.1 to 3.1.2
    Hi,
    I have got pissed off with Apple iOS 4, it is the worse OS I remember. Multitasking is crap and is has slowed down my whole phone to the point of hating it. I have downgraded whole phone without using any special techniques and/or restoring SHSH files.
    This is detailed manual how to downgrade 3GS from iOS 4.x.x to 3.1.2:

0. Write serial number of your phone form Settings - General - About
    1. Get proper firmware file: iPhone2,1_3.1.2_7D11_Restore.ipsw form Apple, iPhone & iPad News | ModMyi.com
    2. Get RedSnOw 0.9.4, if u do not have it shoot me an email and I will send you zip. The file is on Apple, iPhone & iPad News | ModMyi.com server.
    3. Shutdown your phone.
    4. Put/plug in the phone into iMac/Mac/Windows holding down HOME button. It will boot it up in Restore Mode.
    5. Fire up iTunes, it will ask you to restore. Don't do it. Instead close pop up window and press restore button while holding OPTION key (I think it will be SHIFT in Windows). It will ask you for image file to restore from. Pick up your downloaded firmware.
    6. It will restore whole phone and come up in the end with error 1015 - it is normal.
    7. Close iTunes.
    8. Download iRecovery from iRecovery: Get Out iPhone from Recovery Mode Loop on Restart | iPhone … p-restart/ and follow all steps.
    9. Restart phone by holding HOME and POWER BUTTON together.
    10. When it restarts it will come in recovery mode again.
    11. Fire up RedSn0w and follow all steps and prompts. Make sure you know what phone model from serial number you got so you do not kill it.
    12. It will restore/load into a phone patched kernel and then will not be happy to do anything. It will come up with message that you need to plug a phone back in.
    12. Restart the phone and turn on iTunes, let it activate the phone.

Congratulations your phone is back on track!

Now if you like JB it or not. I use BlackRa1n. RedSn0w will do too.

I have downgraded from iOS 4.0.1 to 3.1.2. MAN IT WAS WORTH IT!!!
    If you upgrade to 4.x.x it will override your baseband and if you didn't save it with Cydia then you are screwed, even if you restore back to 3.1.2 you may find that your phone will not connect to the grid. So no more phone. Above steps will still use new modem firmware but get it working with old OS. I hope it will help you guys.

One more advise: do not use Rock and MyWi - first it will crap your phone, second rip you of on money and third there is no support from this guys. MyWi stopped working after 6 months, I have to purchase MyWi 4 now and pay another $20 for it even if I have payed already before for previous version of this program. By the way the old program is not available anymore!
    Rock has already killed my phone once before and I had to waste all day to get it working again. Use only Cydia and do not risk lost time.

Good luck.
    Regards
    Mark
    linuxbuilders.net
    Last edited by cashoob; 2010-08-21 at 12:00 PM.

I have just realized that I have missed one important step which makes whole thing ticking. It is hosts file on your mac.

Downgrade iPhone 3GS OS 3.1.3 to 3.1.2 With Cydia SHSH | jailbreak

##
    # Host Database
    #
    # localhost is used to configure the loopback interface
    # when the system is booting. Do not change this entry.
    ##
    127.0.0.1 localhost
    255.255.255.255 broadcasthost
    74.208.10.249 gs.apple.com

Anyone tried it without changing the hosts file?

thnx