Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Downgrading from ios4 to 3.1.2 help!

Unhappy Downgrading from ios4 to 3.1.2 help!
    hi,
    i have a ipod touch 2g and im trying to downgrade to 3.1.2 after getting pissed of with ios4.

i have tryed downgrading with itunes after getting the 3194 error with itunes. i then googled and found that by adding the line "74.208.105.171 gs.apple.com" to the host file SHOULD work, but it didnt. im still getting the error and im stumped.

i have heard about these shsh blobs and tiny umbrella but i have no idea what it is.

mind helping me out?

Retired Moderator
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,202 Times in 1,924 Posts

mygadgetnews.com/2010/07/07/how-to-downgrade-ios-4-to-os-3-1-x-using-tinyumbrella/

If you dont have your SHSH blobs you cant downgrade. So following that guide will only benefit if you have your SHSHs

Edit: I cant be sure if iPT 2G is like an iPhone 3G. You should be able to go down to 3.1.x no problem.

Error 3194 seems to be the error for needing SHSHs tho, so Im a bit perplexed. All I can tell you is to put it in DFU and restore to 3.1.2 or 3.1.3 again. You cant follow that guide anyway, Im assuming if you dont know what SHSHs are you dont have them. Just changing the host files wont work by itself.
    Last edited by i.Annie; 2010-08-20 at 04:11 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

thanks anniex,

i was looking through it and i found that it said "Phone 3G and iPod Touch 2G (Non-MC) please skip to step 4" and continues the restore normally through itunes. but i have done this MANY times.
    do i follow evan though i don't have an mc model?

and when i save shsh blobs did i have to save it on the 3.1.2 software i had before (if it is im in trouble) or do i do it with the ios4?

Retired Moderator
    Thanks

Youre too late to save any SHSHs now. Only 4.0.2 which is the fw anybody should avoid.

3G phones and Im not sure about iPT 2G can still JB with Redsn0w (should double check on that).

You should be able to restore to 3.1.2 no problem.

Whats the error youre getting when restoring without changing host files and without using TinyUmbrella?

the error is 3194 or somthing, and it always comes up when it fails to verify it with apple (somthing about there not signing it anymore)

Thanks

Hmm... iPod touch 2G uses a soft SHSH blob check (soft in the sense that's in iBoot rather than the bootrom, and therefore can be bypassed with a bootrom exploit). MB models have the exploitable bootrom, so that shouldn't be an issue.

Download Umbrella for me (The Firmware Umbrella), and after putting your iPod touch into DFU mode, attempt the restore to 3.1.2, wait for it to error out, and then touch the "Kick Device Out of Recovery" button in Umbrella. If all goes well, the device should be up and running on 3.1.2 (which never was signed for SHSH blobs on MB models, so that's not a problem). I hope that works...

ill try it soon but just with the error it pops up when it verify's it with apple and doent acctually retore

Green Apple
    Thanks
    Is it a MC model? If it is then you can't downgrade unless you have 3.1.x SHSH which it looks like you don't, you will have to wait untill the new jailbreak for 4.1

it is not an MC model, it is an MB model. is that an issue?

Retired Moderator
    Thanks

MB makes it a good thing. Means downgrade should be possible.

Edit: use custom fw if other methods fail.
    Last edited by i.Annie; 2010-08-28 at 05:16 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Thanks
    Thanked 2,764 Times in 2,652 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by nipping View Post
    it is not an MC model, it is an MB model. is that an issue?
    MB model, you don't have to edit your hosts file to restore to stock firmware or you can also restore to custom firmware. Make sure you put your ipod into DFU mode if you restore to stock and Recovery mode if you restore to CFW.

i have tryed this way many times and it didn't work restoring it normally is this the right firmware? its named "iPod2,1_3.1.2_7D11_Restore" by default. (sorry i cant post the file it wont upload because i used up the internet limit, i will post it at the start of the month though.)

if it's not can u give me a link to a good file.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,764 Times in 2,652 Posts

I think the 2Gen ipod Touch is something like this Ipod1,2_3.1.2_XXXX
    Put your iphone into DFU mode and don't edit your hosts file.
    Do the Shift + Restore and let me know what errors you are getting.
    Last edited by iYeow; 2010-08-29 at 07:29 AM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by yeow202 View Post
    I think the 2Gen ipod Touch is something like this Ipod1,2_3.1.2_XXXX
    Put your iphone into DFU mode and don't edit your hosts file.
    Do the Shift + Restore and let me know what errors you are getting.
    Nope its hardware ID is indeed iPod2,1 (S5L8720 instead of S5L8900).

nipping, let me give you another way to verify the integrity of your IPSW: file digests. (If you need assistance in running a digest, just ask. )

iPod2,1_3.1.2_7D11_Restore.ipsw (277,794,671 bytes)

md5: 35c66be376201082a005f0a289f26a65
    sha1: e7c83d4a5baec0e81816ae1cd1caf9a4dc38ebf0
    sha512: fb2bc4639aeefd5c6ba78c109b577addd3eec1344d30378529 db587d445b73910de300cd9bcd5f8c46e524c77be1637da365 c653b257db0470b86aed986e92b0

(Digests ran on my local copy, checked against published values from Apple Development or Main Page - The iPhone Wiki where applicable. I can link you to one if you need it).

--Now that I think about it, your MB model may be running into Apple's paywall for MB models and 3.x firmware. Did you ever purchase access to the upgrade?

acctually i did purchase it. but i could'nt find it in the "Application Data\Apple Computer\iTunes\iPod Software Updates" file (it may have wiped when i updated itunes?)

Edit: hang on i remember it wouldnt update it said it was incompatible or somthing.(cant remember exactly what because it happend about a year ago) but i ended up using firmware from this site: http://www.felixbruns.de/iPod/firmware/
    Last edited by nipping; 2010-08-29 at 10:06 AM.

Thanks

acctually i did purchase it. but i could'nt find it in the "Application Data\Apple Computer\iTunes\iPod Software Updates" file (it may have wiped when i updated itunes?)

Edit: hang on i remember it wouldnt update it said it was incompatible or somthing.(cant remember exactly what because it happend about a year ago) but i ended up using firmware from this site: iPod, iPhone and iPad Firmware Download
    Shouldn't be an issue--Apple recorded who purchased what by some method--I want to say UDID and iTunes account, but I honestly don't know for certain.

Try the custom-firmware route: download PwnageTool or sn0wbreeze, use that IPSW you downloaded earlier (assuming its digests/size match the posted ones), use that as the basis to make a custom IPSW and restore your iPod with that custom IPSW using Recovery mode rather than DFU.

Still don't know why iTunes wants to throw you 3xxx errors for a 3.1.x downgrade on a MB model--maybe that means the MC model iPT2Gs (which were always soft-signed) are now biting us in the butt: iBoot 4.0 is requiring blobs before allowing a downgrade regardless of model...? iBoot isn't active in DFU mode though... I digress. (I'll mess around with it when I get a MB model in my hands again).

There should be no reason we cannot get you downgraded; we'll all figure this out. Hang in there!

umm guys my internet is really slow atm and if u dont hear from me just wait until wednesday (or maybe tuesday depending on were all u guys are around the country)

and im wondering would 3.1.3 be just as good as 3.1.2 jailbreak wise? (compatibility issuses?)

umm guys my internet is really slow atm and if u dont hear from me just wait until wednesday (or maybe tuesday depending on were all u guys are around the country)

and im wondering would 3.1.3 be just as good as 3.1.2 jailbreak wise? (compatibility issuses?)
    scratch that 3.1.3 has the same issue (error 3194)

how do i find digests?
    in cmd isnt it like "digest::file" and i dont know the rest.
    Last edited by nipping; 2010-08-29 at 10:36 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Green Apple
    Thanks
    Look at this site: iH8sn0w.com | Jailbreak your iPod touches and iPhones

I have never used it as both my iDevices have new bootrom but if you have iBoot then have a look at the site.

Thanks

scratch that 3.1.3 has the same issue (error 3194)

how do i find digests?
    in cmd isnt it like "digest::file" and i dont know the rest.
    In command prompt or terminal, you should be able to run a digest using one (or more) of the following:

md5 (path to file)
    md5sum (path to file)
    shasum (path to file)
    sha1sum (path to file)
    sha512sum (path to file)
    shasum -a 512 (path to file)
    openssl dgst -md5/sha1/sha512 (path to file)

Which one(s) work depends on your operating system and which Perl/C programs are pre-loaded onto your computer.

Maybe the 3.x SHSH signatures for MC are actively being checked against on MB now...

nipping, please attempt restoring to a custom-made IPSW (made by either PwnageTool 3.1.4 for Mac or sn0wbreeze for Windows), try initiating the restore in recovery mode.

Well, I guess I was having the same problem but I guess I eventually found a solution (with some help here in the forum, of course)... I hope it helps you...

http://modmyi.com/forums/general/726...-possible.html

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast