Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Keeping my old baseband...is it possible?

Default Keeping my old baseband...is it possible?
    I'm running a 3GS jailbroken with iOS 4.0 using PwnageTool. I am on baseband 04.26.08.

Is it possible to restore my 3GS to 4.0, "UN"jailbroken condition (factory) but still keep my old baseband (04.26.08)???

I am giving this iPhone to my wife, she doesn't need it jailbroken but I'd like to keep the old baseband incase one day I decide to jailbreak it and the only way might require an old baseband.

I've searched the forums but can't seem to find a topic relating to this exactly. I apologize if it's been mentioned.
    Thanks in advance.
    Cya,
    B.

Thanks

No, if you restore it to a stock firmware the baseband will get upgraded. But the baseband doesn't affect the phones jailbreakability it affects the unlockability. The baseband that comes with 4.0 is unlockable anyway so it's not really an issue.

Okay, thanks jkmonkey. I sorta figured that I'd be okay for the future jailbreaks and even possibly the unlocks (even though I don't need to unlock), but I guess I just wanted to keep the old baseband seeing that I've been holding onto it for this long already.

I think it may be time to let go

thnx again.
    Cya,
    B.

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Why not jailbreak. If you install nothing with Cydia you've got the same thing. You could even install something (like SBSetting) and hide anything (and everything - like the Cydia app) related to non-stock.

There's no performance hit, nothing runs in the background, and if you never use it (or see it) .. what's the big deal?

Have you cake and eat it too There is [resale] value in a 4.26.08 BB 3GS and the newest BB gives you nothing.

resale in the old BB? Really?
    Cya,
    B.

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

^^Yes. 4.26.08 is not common now. But having it provides more unlocking options(aka: ultrasn0w 0.92 and before still work). The average user won't care, but those involved in the community and especially those on the programming/hacking side may be interested. Once this BB gone --- it's gone forever. Saved SHSH blobs are another plus, the more the merrier Options, options, options . Most hackers just want more options (hahaha)
    Last edited by Mes; 2010-08-20 at 04:26 PM.