Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: 3GS Downgrade from 4.02 Help Please

Retired Moderator
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,202 Times in 1,924 Posts

I believe a Spirit jailbroken phone will crash if you try to restore. iTunes 9.2 isnt compatible with Spirit but iTunes needs to be at 9.2 to get iOS 4.

Im not sure if this Spirit problem has been resolved (anybody care to correct me?) but you can try if youre daring

Youll probably need to restore with iTunes 9.1 to a clean 3.1.x then upgrade to iOS 4 to jailbreak with jailbreakme.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,764 Times in 2,652 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by 121293 View Post
    how do you point hosts file to cydia?
    ussually i start with
    1. plug in my phone so it shows up on itunes and itunes says that i cant do anything because its not a valid sim
    2. i open tiny umbrella and start tts server( at this point my iphone shows up as invalid x.x.x(xxxx) or somwthing like that in umbrella
    3. i start iphone in dfu mode and try to update with the shift( not my iphone doesnt show up on the umbrella menu it says connect device)
    4. my iphone turns on around "preparing iphone for restore"
    5. then i would get unknown error 1601

4. it gets to preparing phone

oh and should i be using 9.1 or 9.2?
    This is how you point your hosts file :
    Use notepad to open the hosts file.
    If you are using Vista, click start > type notepad > highlight > run as admin > browse to Cwindows\systems32\drivers\etc\hosts.
    Choose *.* which is all files.
    Open hosts file and add this line to the very bottom of the page.

74.208.10.249 gs.apple.com
    save it.
    Reboot your pc.
    Put iphone in DFU
    Do the shift + restore.

If you are downgrading to 4.0.1, you still need Itunes 9.2

Quote Originally Posted by Anniex423 View Post
    I believe a Spirit jailbroken phone will crash if you try to restore. iTunes 9.2 isnt compatible with Spirit but iTunes needs to be at 9.2 to get iOS 4.

Im not sure if this Spirit problem has been resolved (anybody care to correct me?) but you can try if youre daring

Youll probably need to restore with iTunes 9.1 to a clean 3.1.x then upgrade to iOS 4 to jailbreak with jailbreakme.
    You are right, I have seen the warning about infinite loops when Itunes 9.2 came out but some guys i have helped said they still had Itunes 9.2 and jailbreak with Spirit. Hopefully , someone can comfirm this.
    Last edited by iYeow; 2010-08-18 at 08:51 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

iPhone? More like MyPhone mrrippey's Avatar
    Thanks

So essentially, I have to undo the jailbreak but since I have SHSH's on Cydia (also in TinyUmbrella), I can restore to a clean 3.1.3 (on itunes 9.1) then do a restore to 4.0.1 from a cleaned 3.1.3 (on itunes 9.2).

Lucky I have two laptops....I'll try this tonight. Its on my wifey's 3Gs, mine is good on 4.0
    Rippey
    iOS 4.0 3Gs 32GB on the lamb
    Still has nice things on it, pictures too

Retired Moderator
    Thanks

You catch on quick

You got it all down, good luck.

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Are you sure there are problems with Spirit jailbroken phones and iTunes 9.x? As I understood it, Spirit just wouldn't work for jailbreaking with that iTunes version, but there wouldn't be any other problems.
    We're all just toymakers in the game of life.

Retired Moderator
    Thanks

I said for 9.2, not for 9.x

i got it down to 4.01 !!!!! thank you so much people
    but i still got a slight problem ... i need an at&t simcard
    to activate it anyone got any ideas how to bypass?

Retired Moderator
    Thanks

Youre gonna need that SIM. sorry no bypass for that.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,764 Times in 2,652 Posts

This we cannot help you, you have to get an AT&T card, no matter what you do ,there is no hactivation starting from OS 3.1.3 to date OS.
    Get one that is not used and not activated will do the job.

Thank you so much everyone i got it all working and i have my iphone again !!!

Thanks

I didnt get to do it last night but are you saying I can just restore from Spirit jailbroken 3.1.3 to 4.0.1 since I have my SHSH's on Cydia IF I use iTunes 9.1 (which I have)?

It would save one restore (I guess all of 15 minutes) if I did it this way. Maybe the risk of going to an infinite reboot loop, I will go the long way and restore to clean 3.1.3 (itunes 9.1) and then restore to 4.0.1 (itunes 9.2)

Rippey
    Rippey

Thanks

You don't need shsh's at all to install 4.0.1 right now. Apple is still signing that fw. You do need iTunes 9.2 or higher to install any form of 4.x. All you have to do is download 4.0.1 and shift+click restore to it.

Well after I upgraded my iPod I can't get cydia from jailbreakme.com which I used 2 jailbreak my iPod in the first place

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Superman141 View Post
    Well after I upgraded my iPod I can't get cydia from jailbreakme.com which I used 2 jailbreak my iPod in the first place
    What did you upgrade your iPod to? 4.0.2? Jailbreak doesn't work on that fw, you would have to downgrade.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jkmonkey View Post
    You don't need shsh's at all to install 4.0.1 right now. Apple is still signing that fw. You do need iTunes 9.2 or higher to install any form of 4.x. All you have to do is download 4.0.1 and shift+click restore to it.
    You are correct in that I can upgrade to 4.0.1 using 9.2 but my issue is that my 3.1.3 was jailbroken using Spirit and there have been reports that going from a jailbroken iPhone using Spirit will cause the iphone to go into a reboot loop, hence me having to have a clean 3.1.3 first before I upgrade to 4.0.1. I was hoping just to goto 4.0.1 without having to restore to 3.1.3 first.

Rippey
    Rippey

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

9.x covers 9.2 so my question still stands. Do you know for sure it causes problems? As I read it, you just couldn't jailbreak with Spirit while having iTunes 9.x, not that there would be any other kinds of problems.
    We're all just toymakers in the game of life.

Retired Moderator
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by dhamien View Post
    9.x covers 9.2 so my question still stands. Do you know for sure it causes problems? As I read it, you just couldn't jailbreak with Spirit while having iTunes 9.x, not that there would be any other kinds of problems.
    Ok well generalizing it to 9.x is incorrect. I said ONLY 9.2 so you cant go around saying 9.x (9.0, 9.1, 9.1.2...)

Im not gonna say 100% it will cause problems but I will say I have seen problems occur with Spirit+iTunes 9.2.

Read somewhere when iTunes 9.2 first released that it should be avoided for Spirit users due to its incompatibility. I dont know if it still stands true, I mean be my guest to prove it wrong or right. Im just saying Ive seen it happen to other people, and if I were in such a position, Id rather be safe than sorry. Id rather just restore my phone before I attempt to use iTunes 9.2 instead of seeing if ita gonna crash my phone or not.

Thanks

I haven't heard of any problems upgrading or restoring a spirit jailbroken phone.

Restoring to 3.1.3 and 4.0.1 are essentially the same thing. It's just installing stock firmware.
    Last edited by jkmonkey; 2010-08-20 at 01:19 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Retired Moderator
    Thanks

to answer your question, it actually crashes the phone in most extreme cases. Been thru a few forums where people say their phones crash or boot loop cuz of iTunes, then ya find out they had Spirit. Haha but that was a while ago...

Like I said, I cant say 100% if it still stands but there WERE problems before with using iTunes 9.2 and Spirit jailbroken phones.
    Last edited by i.Annie; 2010-08-20 at 01:21 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Thanks

The problems with spirit and 9.2 came about when trying to run spirit while having 9.2 installed. But even with that there's a modified version of spirit that works with it.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast