Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Defective iPhone Replaced by New One (How to JB)

Default Defective iPhone Replaced by New One (How to JB)
    So my 3GS (3.1.2) iPhone that's currently jailbroken has a defective mic (it just stopped working after only 11 months). I'm going to Apple store to get it fixed. What do I need to do before I take it to them?

I already have a blob in Cydia for all possible firmwares. The only issue that I can think of is if they actually replace my phone with a new one. I'm assuming the blob wouldn't work for the new phone. SO what would be the best way to downgrade from 4.02 (the most likely version of the new iPhone) to 3.1.2 (I want to downgrade to that specific version because Music Controls can only support upto that version).

Apple was still signing 4.0.1 a few minutes ago. If they still are when you get your new phone, a simple shift-restore should do it. If they are no longer signing 4.0.1 when you get it, then you are out of luck til next JB at version 4.2

ARt

3. The Following User Says Thank You to artbatista For This Useful Post:

kingamoon (2010-08-17)

Quote Originally Posted by artbatista View Post
    Apple was still signing 4.0.1 a few minutes ago. If they still are when you get your new phone, a simple shift-restore should do it. If they are no longer signing 4.0.1 when you get it, then you are out of luck til next JB at version 4.2

ARt
    OK fair enough. So now that I'm taking it to the Apple store, how do I restore it to 3.1.2 with no jailbreak?

I don't think you can. Without the SHSH blobs you won't be able to do it, and since it's a new phone, you won't have them. You could still restore to 4.0.1 as long as Apple is still signing 4.0.1 and if they stop, you won't be able to do even that much.

If I were you, I would run to the store and hurry up to get those SHSH blobs stored in umbrella before you run out of time.

Cheers

Art

6. The Following User Says Thank You to artbatista For This Useful Post:

kingamoon (2010-08-17)

Quote Originally Posted by artbatista View Post
    I don't think you can. Without the SHSH blobs you won't be able to do it, and since it's a new phone, you won't have them. You could still restore to 4.0.1 as long as Apple is still signing 4.0.1 and if they stop, you won't be able to do even that much.

If I were you, I would run to the store and hurry up to get those SHSH blobs stored in umbrella before you run out of time.

Cheers

Art
    Oh no I don't think I explained myself clearly. I'm going to take my defective iPhone 3GS (3.1.2 Jailbroken) to Apple store to see if they can fix it or give me a new one. But because it's currently jailbroken, they will say that that voids the warranty. So all I want to do now is to restore the iPhone to factory settings (remove jailbreak and all) so that I can take it to them. How do I do that?

Thanks
    Thanked 2,764 Times in 2,652 Posts

Click restore in Itunes, it will restore to the latest version and all jailbroken stuffs will be gone. You don't have to restore to stock 3.1.2, alot of hassle to do that.