Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Restore to 4.0.1, is it possible?

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Default Restore to 4.0.1, is it possible?
    Iphone, 3gs 32GB fw-3.1.3 new bootrom JAILED,

I have been having problems with my cydia, so was told the only solution was to restore and reJB but couldnot get AT&T sim card untill now Then ALAS new iOS 4.0.2 is out which means restore will upgrade my phone to iOS 4.0.2, then i cant JailBreak and UnLock my phone.

Wondering why i didnt jailbreak this iphone with JailBreakme .com, the initial jailbreak that allowed for the unlock was not properly done and I couldnot get the AT&T sim and the so i had to wait since my iphone was unlocked and can still be used as a phone with my local carrier.Also trying to JB with JailBreakme .com didnt solve the problem.

I have the SHSH blobs for 4.0 and 4.0.1 saved with cydia but NOT 3.1.2 or 3.1.3. i have downloaded the iOS 4.0.1.

i made an attempt to restore to iOS 4.0.1 using "Shift+Restore", but got the message:

"itunes will ERASE your iphone to iphone 4.0.1 and will verify your restore with apple"

I was afraid bcos i was not sure if it will be signed after verification of restore.so i cancelled it.

Advice needed please!

ADDITION:
    just run Tiny umbrella and got this message

08/12/2010 18:26:48.975 Caching shsh files...
    08/12/2010 18:26:48.982 Found [2] shsh files to cache...
    08/12/2010 18:26:49.361 Cached [2] shsh files
    08/12/2010 18:27:07.943 TSS Server has cached the following files: 08/12/2010 18:27:07.964 iPhone3GS 4.0 (8A293)-2480176295182
    08/12/2010 18:27:07.978 iPhone3GS 4.0.1 (8A306)-2480176295182
    08/12/2010 18:27:07.991 Devices with ECIDs matching the above AND restoring to the exact firmware version listed above will succeed! 08/12/2010 18:27:08.015 *Please note that iPad and iPad3G share the exact same SHSH. If you see iPad above and you have an iPad3G THEY WILL WORK JUST FINE. There is just no way for me to tell the difference between iPad and iPad3G from the SHSH alone.

Not sure if that will help?
    Last edited by quaz444; 2010-08-13 at 09:20 AM.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to quaz444 For This Useful Post:

mohtoyota (2010-08-12), tayfunkngal (2010-08-19)

I just did this exact restore with my 3GS (New boot ROM)

I had messed up my Cydia install and wanted to restore to 4.0.1

I had save the SHSH blobs to Saurik's and used Umbrella's TSS server to fool itunes into restoring.

This is where I ran into a snag.

Itunes 9.2 will not work as it stops in the middle of the restore, leving your phone bricked. You need to go back and install itunes 9.1, and follow the usual guides as if you were restoring to 3.1.3.

At the end though, itunes will NOT activate you phones, it will complain that you need the latest itunes to activate. So when done restoring, upgrade itunes to the latest version and activate.

Cheers

Art

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

i also got this message on tinyUmbrella;

08/13/2010 05:32:02.039 NOT running as administrator OR your hosts file is not editable - Cannot listen on port 80! TSS Server will not work!

What does it mean? will it affect my restore?

Please help, the pain of not having a jailbroken iphone is too MUCH for me to bear!

arhhhhhhg!

Do you have something else running a server on port 80?

Have you tried running it as administrator?

Without umbrella, you would have to edit your host file by hand to point iTunes to saurik's

Art

6. The Following User Says Thank You to artbatista For This Useful Post:

quaz444 (2010-08-13)

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

How do I know if something else is running on port 80?

I have tried running as adminstrator but same result

Google for "port scanner" and get one of many port scan peograms out there. Also you might try disabling any firewall while running umbrella, includingthe windows built on one.

I tried to install 4.0.1 firmware on my 3gs using the shift+restore method. I have my shsh blobs saved on cydia from 3.0 until 4.0.1 but i guess something went wrong during the install and now i think my iphone is bricked. After messing up the 4.0.1 install itunes restored my iphone to 3.1.3 and now itunes wont recognize my iphone.

plz help!!!!

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Damada For This Useful Post:

Zura_xinik (2010-08-16)

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Are you using the latest version of iTunes?
    Have you activated?
    @ art, it was my antivirus firewall, deactivated it and now TSS server is running but still afraid of restoring cos of what Damada experienced
    what do you think?

I have restored a 4.0 3GS to 3.1.3 as well as a 3GS 4.0.1 restored 3GS 4.0.1 after apple stopped signing 4.01, with no problems, using umbrella and it's built in TSS server. The latest umbrella will even kick the device out of recovery mode, which is what happens when you downgrade at the end of the process.

The one problem you have to think ahead is that the latest itunes (9.2 and above) WILL NOT WORK. The restore will hang with no error message, leaving you with a bricked phone. For this to work, you have to use itunes 9.1, and have the SHSH blobs saved for the device and version you want to restore to.

You need to have:

the firmware for the version and device you are restoring to.
    itunes 9.1 installer
    umbrella

1.- Run umbrella and make sure the TSS server is working when you start it. If it does not, it usually means a firewall is interfering.

2.- uninstall itunes 9.2 and install itunes 9.1

3.- Using the "SHIFT" + "Restore" method start the restore process. Tell itunes to use the firmware you wish to restore to your device.

4.- After the device is restored and reboots, you may need to use umbrella's "KICK OUT OF RECOVERY" button.

5.- When done, you will need to upgrade itunes to 9.2 and at this point activate your phone using an AT&T sim card.

That's it!

Hope this is clear enough, I have done twice now, once with a 3GS that I had upgraded from 3.1.3 to 4.0, to downgrade to 3.1.3, and the second time to restore a 3GS with 4.0.1 to 4.0.1 after apple stopped signing the 4.0.1 firmware.

If I can help, let me know.

Art

Quote Originally Posted by Damada View Post
    I tried to install 4.0.1 firmware on my 3gs using the shift+restore method. I have my shsh blobs saved on cydia from 3.0 until 4.0.1 but i guess something went wrong during the install and now i think my iphone is bricked. After messing up the 4.0.1 install itunes restored my iphone to 3.1.3 and now itunes wont recognize my iphone.

plz help!!!!
    Is you phone actually running 3.1.3 or is it just saying "Connect to Itunes"?

If it is in fact running 3.1.3 (the downgrade was successful), then it should give the "Emergency Calls" only screen.

I suspect that you are using itunes 9.2 and you did not in fact restore the phone.

See my instructions above. I know this restore is possible because I have done it twice now, but not with Itunes 9.2

Art
    Last edited by artbatista; 2010-08-14 at 01:05 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

13. The Following User Says Thank You to artbatista For This Useful Post:

sjdk13 (2010-08-21)

i have a 3gs 4.0.1 jailbroken through jailbreakme . com and theres a just a mess of errors going on on my phone so i want to restore it to factory setting. i tried downgrading itunes to 9.1 but it won't sync my iphone unless i update it. any suggestions?

quick update...............I've manged to restore my 3gs to 3.1.3 and jb'd using spirit. my end goal is to have 4.0.1 jb'd.

what should my next step be?

is there a newer version of sn0wbeeze for 4.0.1? so i can make a custom ispw and restore using that?

ok, so i can now successfully restore back to 3.1.3 and jb that using spirit. I've tried making a custom ipsw of 4.0 using sn0wbreeze, but always get stuck on "preparing iphone for restore" I got the 1604 error. I've read somewhere that you should change the name of the firmware to the original, but that doesn't help.
    I don't understand I thought it should be easy enough to downgrade since all my shsh blobs are saved since saurik began collecting them on his server.
    Last edited by Damada; 2010-08-14 at 12:06 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Damada, how did you restore to 3.1.3 after your iphone got bricked? seriously in need of that info, PLEASE!

Next step to restore to 4.0.1 using the steps provided by Artbatista above(i have not tried it myself... waiting to get all the stuffs i need) but i believe it should work. Say so if it does. I dont think need to make costom ipsw, just follow the steps above.

you dont need sn0wbreeze to jailbreak 4.0.1, After restoring to 4.0.1, just open jailbreakme.com on your phone using wifi and follow the steps.

I'm not exactly sure how i managed to restore to 3.1.3. I just tried plugging my 3gs a couple of times untill magically i saw a message in itunes saying it recognized my device in recoverymode, and to be able to use it I had to restore. so I thought "what the hell?"I'm now sitting on 3.1.3 un jb'd.

should I just download umbrella and try again using 4.0.1?

I just read that i can't use this method because i'm running windows 7 :-(
    Last edited by Damada; 2010-08-14 at 12:56 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Damada For This Useful Post:

quaz444 (2010-08-14)

Aaaaaaaaaa I don't know how to restore my iPhone to a 4.0
    Can anyone give me a easy step by step guide???

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

@Damada, Where did you read that, that is not true, download umbrella and follow the steps. works on xp service pack 2 and above.

check tinyumbrella blog for details and this link-http://modmyi.com/guides/?p=3146

it is for 3.1.3 but follow the same step for 4.0.1

which version of itunes did you use?
    is your iphone a new or old bootrom- check-http://modmyi.com/forums/general/688455-how-find-out-bootrom-version.html
    Sorry, this may be difficult for you but will appreciate it if you can do it for me and others that may be in similar situations. I need you to post step by step how you made attempt at restoring to 4.0.1 and then got bricked and back to 3.1.3 and then jailbreak.
    I stay in africa where help is not easy to come by once you mess with your iphone
    thanks

@Kristian, check post #9 on this thread. be careful, follow it religiously.
    Last edited by quaz444; 2010-08-14 at 01:41 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

ok, i've got itunes 9.1...... and the old boot rom 3gs. I've succesfully manged to jb via spirit. but can come no further than 3.1.3 must i have itunes 9.2 to restore to 4.0.1?
    Last edited by Damada; 2010-08-14 at 03:26 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

22. The Following User Says Thank You to Damada For This Useful Post:

Ortiz26x (2010-08-15)

i don't have the shsh blobs for the 4.0 that i need (

can someone tell me if i can find it somewhere?

thanks guys i'm going crazy

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Damada View Post
    ok, i've got itunes 9.1...... and the old boot rom 3gs. I've succesfully manged to jb via spirit. but can come no further than 3.1.3 must i have itunes 9.2 to restore to 4.0.1?
    Yes, 4.x requires iTunes 9.2.

25. The Following User Says Thank You to jkmonkey For This Useful Post:

Damada (2010-08-15)

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Talking Restored to 4.0.1
    Wow!!! JUST GOT MY PHONE RESTORED TO 4.0.1, JAILBROKEN AND UNLOCKED, Thanks to all that contributed to this success-JKmonkey, Art, Damada and so on. AND to the DevTeam, i wish i can donate to you guys, hopefully soon.

iPhone-(Jailbreak+unlock)=Nokia phones (sorry nokia fans, if any mistakenly reads this)

Step by step details coming soon!

Quote Originally Posted by Ruspino View Post
    i don't have the shsh blobs for the 4.0 that i need (

can someone tell me if i can find it somewhere?

thanks guys i'm going crazy
    Use TinyUmbrella to check whether you can still save your shsh blobs for 4.0.1, i still did mine around 14:00PM GMT yesterday, but it is not possible for 4.0 anymore.

then you can decide what next

27. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to quaz444 For This Useful Post:

Gabry83 (2010-08-20), jkmonkey (2010-08-16)

Update....... I managed to update to 4.0.1 by updating my iTunes to 9.2.1 and using umbrella. I then used jbme.com to install cydia. A big thx to eveyone who gave me advice on this!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast