Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Bought a non JB phone..what can I do to ensure I am ready for 4.0?

Default Bought a non JB phone..what can I do to ensure I am ready for 4.0?
    I bought an IPhone for my wife because we got an excellent deal on it and it is in perfect condition. She has a current 2G that is still functional under T-Mobile.

Phone is 3GS
    Model ends in 3038
    Software ver 4.0
    Firm 05.13.04

As I understand it, because this has NEVER been jailbroken, no blobs (or signatures) have been saved. So currently I cannot unlock this phone, correct?

But from reading the forums it sounds like a new 4.0 Jailbreak is coming. So is there anything I need to do ahead of time to prepare for this? And where will the break be announced, on the Dev Team site?

Green Apple
    Thanks

Keep yourself busy.

dratner, save your SHSH blobs locally or to Saurik Cydia server (using TinyUmbrella). Just in case apple upgrades the iPhone firmware. At least if you accidentally upgraded, there is a path for you to downgrade to 4.0

4. The Following User Says Thank You to azraeil For This Useful Post:

dratner (2010-07-28)

Ok I can do that..does that umbrella work with OSX or is it independent of OS?

Yes OSX 10.5x min. and I had a problem with the latest one I use PPC still but it said it would not work with my architecture so thats why I have a winXP machine too. Weird error cause the last version worked fine but I needed the update to detect 4.0.1 then used the windows version to save 4.0 blobs just in case it needs 4.0 and not 4.0.1