Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: General questions - answer if you feel you have time!

Default General questions - answer if you feel you have time!
    Hello to the ever helpful MMi crew!

1) I was currious about SHSH blobs. Btw, I've read through "Caching Apple's Signature Server" - great read but don't think it covers my querry!

I understand how they're used (like a "back up?") allowing you to downgrade, but in order to do so they need to have been while Apple has been signing them. But that's the bit I don't get, if they're not being saved on Apples server but they're being saved to Sauriks server (or a local save) why do they need to be "caught" while Apple is signing them? Is the challenge/response going to Apple, then the blobs going somewhere else?

2) My Cydia says I have blobs for 3.1.2 which can't be right can it? The phone was on 3.1.3 brand new when I got it!

3) Bluetooth profiles modding - This might just be a case of no-one getting around to doing it, or maybe bluetooth modding is a different kettle of fish - I have no clue here. The latest update for 4.0.1 has full AVRCP control, allowing bluetooth headsets with music controls to...well, control music! I just find it strange there has never been a jailbroken app made to add this. I would imagine (in my imaginary world of "everything is this easy") I'd have thought it'd be easy as signing "Input A = output A". I'm sure it's more complicated than this though

4)omfg wehn is teh ios4 jailbreak being released?! you h4x0rs r teh nubs!

Jus' kiddin Soz for any typos or anything not making sense, typing this quick before I leave work ^_____^

Win!

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

When you save the shsh blobs and then restore to the earlier firmware iTunes thinks it is getting the SHSH file from the Apple server, but really iTunes is getting it from the Cydia server. You are basically tricking iTunes into thinking Apple has given it the OK to install the firmware on the device.

Is your phone a refurb? Its possible the previous owner saved the 3.1.2 blobs. I'm not sure on this but maybe you saved your blobs while Apple was still signing 3.1.2? I'm not sure if that would even be possible though.

I know nothing about bluetooth except people look like crazy dorks walking around talking to themselves. lol
    Have they released the jailbreak in the app store yet?

3. The Following User Says Thank You to ianbroste For This Useful Post:

kaepora (2010-07-20)

Thanks! I could have worded my question better though >.<

I understand that we're tricking iTunes in the restoring part, it's the bit before when you actually back up your blobs. For example you can't back up 3.1.2 blobs anymore because Apple aren't signing them, but why can't you if they're being sent to Cydia instead of Apple?

Oh, it could be a refurb! It was an exchange in an Apple store for my 3GS that had a speaker problem. I asume they'd give refurbs as an exchange. Is it safe to just try and restore to 3.1.2 using the guides even if there aren't any blobs or would I run into problems without them?

Oh, as for the Bluetooth question - I was checking through Cydia last night and got an app called Music Controls (I think) and that's got the bluetooth profile in it! It was only updated to have it recently too Score!

Thanks

The reason they can only be saved while Apple is still signing the firmware is because cydia's server doesn't generate the blobs it only saves them. The way it works is, when you hit the make my life easier button in cydia or you use tiny umbrella, a request is sent to apple for a fw signature. Apple's server complies and sends a response. That response gets saved on cydia's server. So at a later date when you decide you want to downgrade you ask cydia's sever to sign the fw for you instead of asking apple. Cydia just sends that response that it captured from apple before, it doesn't generate a new one. In short unless a copy of the shsh blobs are saved while the fw is still being signed you'll never be able to get them, because even though they may come from cydia's server at the time, originally they still came from apple.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to jkmonkey For This Useful Post:

kaepora (2010-07-21)

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

You could just use tinyumbrella.

The Firmware Umbrella: TinyUmbrella - Unified TinyTSS and The Firmware Umbrella in ONE!

and that will tell you if you have any shsh blobs saved for the phone. Just connect the phone and make sure cydia is selected.
    Have they released the jailbreak in the app store yet?

Ah I see! Thanks jkmonkey!

I was a jailbreak newbie back when I had my iPod touch 2G (pre 3.0!) and through out the life of it I never really needed to learn much, everyone else had done everything I needed for that thing lol.

It's only been the last couple of months I've been really learning alot about everything I've done in the past with kb's and am doing now for my 3GS.

Thanks to all the MMi crew!