Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Unable to downgrade iPhone 3G firmware from 4.0.1 to 4.0

Thanks

Default Unable to downgrade iPhone 3G firmware from 4.0.1 to 4.0
    I have an iPhone 3G 8GB that was on firmware 3.1.2 BB 04.26.08. I restored firmware 4.0.1 in iTunes and then used Redsn0w v0.9.5b5-5 to jailbreak it. In order to jailbreak a 3G on 4.0.1 with Redsn0w, you need to select firmware 4.0. I had disabled multitasking and left homewallpaper enabled during the jailbreak process. This was successful.

However, I noticed that performance was severely degraded. It was even slower than my other iPhone 3G that was jailbroken on firmware 4.0.

Since the iPhone 3G does not care whether the firmware is signed or not, I should have been able to downgrade the firmware (not BB) from 4.0.1 to 4.0. I put my iPhone 3G (firmware 4.0.1) into DFU mode and tried to restore firmware 4.0 in iTunes. It failed with an unknown error in iTunes 9.2 (Windows XP).

After taking my iPhone 3G out of DFU mode, it boot up normally. It looks like the iTunes error occured before it tried to flash the old 4.0 firmware. So, it did not wipe out iOS 4.0.1 on my iPhone 3G. So, this is where I left it.

I thought of downgrading my iTunes version, but I remembered that iOS 4.0 needs iTunes 9.2.

I read some quides that claim you can downgrade an iPhone 3G from 4.0.1 to 4.0 or 3.1.3, but they use jailbreaking utilities that I do not trust like QuickPwn and Snowbreeze.

Question? Shouldn't I be able to downgrade the 3G firmware from 4.0.1 to 4.0 by putting the 3G into DFU mode?

Question? Did Apple put something into firmware 4.0.1 that prevents this firmware from being downgraded on a 3G?

Question? Has anyone successfully downgraded an iPhone 3G from 4.0.1 to 4.0?

Update 1: I disabled the homewallpaper and that helped performance on 4.0.1, but I still want to figure out how to downgrade the firmware to 4.0.
    "When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep like my grandfather did...not kicking and screaming like the passengers in his car." -- Unknown

not to hijack the thread but I think its relevant... how can I upgrade from 3.1.3 to 4.0 as using itunes will take it to 4.01 yeah?
    Last edited by marcorolo; 2010-07-19 at 10:14 AM. Reason: additional information

@Reddawg 1) i'm pretty sure quickpwn is dead, hasnt been around since the 2.2.x era. 2) there is no reason u shouldnt trust sn0wbreeze, iH8sn0w (maker of sn0wbreeze) is in the same circle of developers that brought u pwnagetool, Redsn0w, spirit, and Blackra1n. 3) unfortunately Apple did put something in the latest firmware, and if you didnt save your shsh blobs while you were still on 4.0 then your out of luck.

@marcorolo check this site out:
    iPod, iPhone and iPad Firmware Download
    From the Fire We Shall Ascend

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Joseph_Prophet View Post
    @Reddawg 1) i'm pretty sure quickpwn is dead, hasnt been around since the 2.2.x era. 2) there is no reason u shouldnt trust sn0wbreeze, iH8sn0w (maker of sn0wbreeze) is in the same circle of developers that brought u pwnagetool, Redsn0w, spirit, and Blackra1n. 3) unfortunately Apple did put something in the latest firmware, and if you didnt save your shsh blobs while you were still on 4.0 then your out of luck.
    Joseph, Please re-read my post. I clearly stated that I have an iPhone 3G. The iPhone 3G does not use ECID (SHSH blobs). What you are stating in #3 only applies to iPhone 3GS.

I already knew Quickpwn was dead. It was created by the Dev-Team to jailbreak 2.x firmwares. The Dev-Team abandoned it because some purchased the domain quickpwn.com. They did not want to confuse the public and instead replaced QuickPwn with Redsn0w. They are some crazy guides that use this QuickPwn 2.2.1 as part of a method to downgrade firmwares from 4.0 to 3.0. I was simply stating that I don't trust these crazy guides.

My lack of trust with Quides that use Sn0wbreeze is due to the lack of testing before each release that is made public. Many people have lost their jailbreaks and unlocks using this utility. Many moderators on MMi have the same opinion. You are welcome to yours.

Quote Originally Posted by marcorolo
    not to hijack the thread but I think its relevant... how can I upgrade from 3.1.3 to 4.0 as using itunes will take it to 4.01 yeah?
    You are hijacking this thread. Please post your own topic. It has nothing to do with the problem I posted. Thanks.

-----------------------------

Does anyone know why I am not able to downgrade an iPhone 3G on firmware 4.0.1 baseband 05.13.04 that is jailbroken & unlocked back to firmware 4.0? As I stated above, I put my iPhone 3G into DFU mode and tried to restore an older stock 4.0 firmware. It fails with an Unknown error message in iTunes. Btw, I am using the correct IPSW (iPhone1,2_4.0_8A293_Restore.ipsw) for my iPhone 3G.

Should I try restoring a custom 4.0 firmware created from PwnageTool?
    "When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep like my grandfather did...not kicking and screaming like the passengers in his car." -- Unknown

I hope you get a answer because i had to upgrade to 4.0.1 then jailbreak with redsnow 0.9.5b5-5 using the 4.0 fw. Did the same as you where i left out the mutitask thinking, if i left it out that it wouldnt run as slow. I got nothing but errors in itunes when i tried to downgrade to 3.1.3 or 3.1.2 so had no choice but to leave it at 4.0

Joseph is correct. If you didn't save your shsh blobs when you were on firmware 3.x.x then you are out of luck. I think Joseph understood your question. If you search you'll find tones of info of people talking about how you needed to save your shsh blob for the 3G iPhone inorder to downgrade. Even all the guides state that you will need your saved shsh blob inorder to downgrade. The 3G sill has to play by rules.

A 3G iPhone can be downgraded to almost any firmware version. Simply option/click on a Mac and select the firmware version in iTunes and let it restore. Once the restore is done, it will end with an error such as 1015. No problem, it is just stuck in recovery. Use recboot to kick it out of recovery.

A 3GS iPhone needs the SHSH blobs saved in Cydia to be able to downgrade. If you have the blobs saved for every firmware down to 3.0, you can downgrade the 3GS to any of those versions listed in Cydia.

The 3G doesn't have the downgrade rules that the 3GS does. Allot of misinformation in this thread.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to funcritter For This Useful Post:

Cocheese (2010-07-28)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by XFaega
    Joseph is correct. If you didn't save your shsh blobs when you were on firmware 3.x.x then you are out of luck. I think Joseph understood your question. If you search you'll find tones of info of people talking about how you needed to save your shsh blob for the 3G iPhone inorder to downgrade. Even all the guides state that you will need your saved shsh blob inorder to downgrade. The 3G sill has to play by rules.
    You are flat out 100% wrong. The iPhone 3G does not uses ECID SHSH blobs. Connect an iPhone 3G to your computer and try running TinyUmbrella. You will get an error immediately because the 3G does not contain the security requiring signed firmwares, like the 3GS. You are confusing the iPhone 3GS with the 3G.

Quote Originally Posted by funcritter
    A 3G iPhone can be downgraded to almost any firmware version. Simply option/click on a Mac and select the firmware version in iTunes and let it restore. Once the restore is done, it will end with an error such as 1015. No problem, it is just stuck in recovery. Use recboot to kick it out of recovery.
    In my few years of experience jailbreaking the iPhone 3G, not the 3GS, you used recovery mode to restore the same or higher firmware and DFU mode to restore an older firmware. I willing to try your method. I have to admit, it has been some time since I even tried to downgrade a firmware. I have been very carefull. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by funcritter
    The 3G doesn't have the downgrade rules that the 3GS does. Allot of misinformation in this thread.
    I agree.
    Last edited by reddawg; 2010-07-20 at 06:36 AM.

Thanks

did u try to shift click restore then select 4.0ipsw? i had 4.0.1 and i noticed many problems with the speed and surprisingly with my reception(4.0 had full service to 4.0.1 couldnt update cydia as connection timed out always) anyway i did the shift click restore and i didnt have any problems or error messages, so i would give that a try then rejailbreak using redsn0w 9.5
    Quote Originally Posted by ??????
    Hi. Does anyone know is iBlacklist available in the app store? can it only be purchased outside the app store? If so, is it hard to install? Thanks everyone.

I read the iphone-dev blog and there's a notice about apple doing a "soft" signing method for the iPhone 3G (not the 3Gs) and this has forced Saurik to start saving SHSHs blobs for the 3G as well. Could this be the culprit?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by azraeil View Post
    I read the iphone-dev blog and there's a notice about apple doing a "soft" signing method for the iPhone 3G (not the 3Gs) and this has forced Saurik to start saving SHSHs blobs for the 3G as well. Could this be the culprit?
    Yes. I just read this today. This is definately my problem and changes to game for the iPhone 3G. I just backed up by ECID for 4.0.1 on my iPhone 3G. Unfortunately, this wasn't discovered until yesterday, so, my guess is that I will not be able to downgrade from iOS 4.0.1 to 4.0.

Wait I'm confused, if the 3G doesn't use shsh blobs why did Musclenerd recently tweet that Jay Freeman (Saurik) is now signing shsh blobs for iPod Touch 2Gen and iPhone 3G? Also pawnage tool would be my next move, unfortunately I have a windows so I use sn0wbreeze

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Joseph_Prophet View Post
    Wait I'm confused, if the 3G doesn't use shsh blobs why did Musclenerd recently tweet that Jay Freeman (Saurik) is now signing shsh blobs for iPod Touch 2Gen and iPhone 3G? Also pawnage tool would be my next move, unfortunately I have a windows so I use sn0wbreeze
    From what I understand concerning the iPhone 3G and iOS 4.x, a “soft” SHSH blob check was embedded in the iOS 4.x firmware which iTunes checks for. If you do not have your SHSH blobs saved on Cydia, you will not been able to restore a stock iOS 4.x firmware. However, you can always restore a custom 4.x firmware created by PwnageTool or downgrade your firmware to 3.x using iTunes. The 3.x firmwares do not have the "soft" SHSH blob checks embedded in them, so you will always be able to restore them.

The difference with the iPhone 3GS is that the SHSH blob check is built into the hardware, so it applies to all firmwares that are not being currently signed by Apple.

Thanks

recboot does work on 3g from 4.0 to 3.1.2, I'll vouch for that! saved my iphone from that terrible 4.0 after many many searches. Just shift click restore, you will get an error, forget about it, now your iphone is in recovery mode, run recboot.... good to go 3.1.2!!!!

Default iPod Touch 2g
    Still stuck on 4.0 on my 3GS(for well known reasons), but I have an iTouch 2g that I had 4.0 on, and it would not verify the 3.1.2 firmware with apple when I attempted to downgrade, but I WAS able to downgrade to 2.2.1