Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Restoring 3GS (3.1.3) to spirit JB

Default Restoring 3GS (3.1.3) to spirit JB
    All,

Great site--really informative (though this is my first post).

I suspect that the info I seek is "out there," but not all in one place. I spent this morning reading various threads, but would really appreciate confirmation, from a non-n00b, that I've understood the guidance I've found here.

I have a 3GS (MC135LL, 3.1.3/7E18, 05.12.01) that I JB with Spirit. My blobs for 3.1.3 are stored at Cydia, as well as on my local HD, assuming I didn't dork up my attempts with TinyUmbrella (more on this worry, below).

My issue: a few days ago MobileSafari started to crash after a few minutes of use. I can't say off the top of my head what I installed, just that I have installed apps recently--specifically any updates Cydia or Rock told me about and a few apps from the official app store. Even if I could somehow deconflict (assuming a conflict is causing the Safari crashes), I'd really like to understand this, that is know how to manage my blobs locally and restore my JB device should it need it. As an aside, I was at my local AT&T yesterday, getting the iPhone 4 for my wife's birthday, when the sales guy said, "here, let me show you [some silly function I'll never need like dialing in to check on how many of my unlimited texts I've used!]" and picked up my iPhone, which is obviously JB. I confess that I was a little anxious--suddenly I developed paranoid worries about his making a note on my account. Stupid, I know. But, I will have to go back to the AT&T store next week when the new phone comes in to have some numbers ported. (Only my number was eligible for an upgrade, and I'm sticking with my JB 3GS, so the upgrade is going to my wife. Prob is, the tech will need to do some hocus-pocus with our devices to ensure that my number's new device/SIM are changed over to her number, leaving my number where it is now, on the 3GS.)

My question: Do I just put the iPhone into recovery (or DFU?), right click on restore, and navigate to my blob in the the .shsh folder, and let 'er rip? Will this be enough, or will iTunes try to force iOS4 on me? If it doesn't force iOS4 on me, will I then be able to use my most recent (before crashes) iTunes backup to restore my 3.1.3 spirit jb? Or, do I have to use TinyUmbrella to avoid iOS4? (Couldn't I just do a regular restore through iTunes (updating to 9.2/iOS4) and then use my saved 3.1.3 blobs to downgrade? Also, will I have to reJB or will the combination of my shsh backup and my iTunes backup capture/restore my current JB state?

My worry: when I installed and used TinyUmbrella (I've got 10.6.3, with iTunes 9.1.1), it "saved" 4.0 shsh as well as 3.1.3 shsh. Now Cydia also reports having SHSH for both 3.1.3 and 4.0. Problem is, I've never had 4.0 installed. I fear that in mucking about with Umbrella, I might have corrupted the shsh on file with Cydia. The shsh doc in my .shsh folder on my hard drive seems empty--it's only 4KB, and I expected it to be larger. Well, if I somehow overwrote the Cydia blob with this empty on, then in effect I have no backup, yeah? This makes me hesitate to do anything.

Any help/guidance/tips greatly appreciated.

cheers!

Drinks the Kool Aid Captinsmooth's Avatar
    Thanks

Lets start from the bottom up here. You have both 3.1.3 and 4.0 shsh blobs saved because tiny grabbed 4.0 for you while it was being signed. So no worries, the files are not corrupt. The shsh files aren't the iphones software they are just a signature.

You could probably just disable any themes you have and hide your cydia folder if you need to bring your phone in to att. They are probably just going to look at your settings and swap sims maybe.

But if you still would like to reset your phone, you can put it in dfu mode and restore to 4.0.1. Then when you get home you can downgrade back to 3.1.3. You need to download the 3.1.3 ipsw from modmyi download section. When you hook your phone up to restore hold the shift key and direct it to the 3.1.3 ipsw file. While it is restoring start tinyumbrella the newest version, and click run tss. That will use your shsh to verify the ipsw for you. be aware though downgrading can be problematic.
    Last edited by Captinsmooth; 2010-07-18 at 01:25 AM.
    This post infers no rights and is provided as is.

Click here to follow me on twitter

@Captinsmooth

Thanks for the reply. The reason for my long-winded initial post, was so that I might get some help restoring a Spirit-JB 3Gs locally. (As it happens, I can't do it at all, locally or via Cydia's server). I'm sure that it's very helpful to have blobs at Cydia, but it seems to me that the advantage is limited, since (if I understand this correctly), one can use those blobs only from an already-JB phone. If I were to upgrade to 4.0.x, then I would not be able to get to my Cydia blobs unless/until I could JB that 4.0.x build, no? So, I'd have to roll back the 4.0.x phone locally. And, before NEEDING this to work (that is, once my phone is stuck in a non-JB 4.0.x state), I'd hoped to verify that indeed I could do this from my local machine with a nonJB phone. Thus the grand idea to return my phone to nonJB 3.1.3, all locally. So far, the answer is "nope" I can't.

If at all possible, I'd hoped to avoid updating iTunes to 9.2 (I currently have 9.1.1) as well as 4.0.x--because, as you note, rolling it back can be a pain.

Alas, I've enjoyed no success at all. I've set my router (an Airport Extreme) to forward all traffic on port 80 to my machine, made sure that I've got nothing running on 80 (though I've been unable to verify this via Terminal--it just gives me this 64KB data message over and over), edited my etc/hosts file with #74.208.105.171 gs.apple.com and 127.0.0.4 gs.apple.com, but no love. All I get is an unknown error (3014).

My understanding is that the pound sign renders the data following it inert (makes it merely a comment). And since I wanted to restore from local files, I thought that the gs.apple.com was suppose to direct to Tiny (so: 127.0.0.1). I've also tried it with 127.0.0.1 commented out and 74.208.105.171 active. What's weird is that after the edit (i.e., I drag the usually-hidden hosts file to my desktop, open it with Textedit, make the changes, save it, drag it back to the etc folder (authenticate), correct permissions, restart) I check the file in /etc and all's well. After running TSS in Umbrella, I open the hosts file and BOTH IPs are commented out!? Is this normal? Any idea what's going on there? Isn't this, in effect, telling the request to go nowhere, that is, not associating any IP with this?

As for the blobs, yes I understand that it's not the phone's OS, but what I've read indicates that the shsh should be in the vicinity of 60KB. My 3.1.3 shsh is 64KB, but the 4.0 blob was only 4KB.

Misc info: I'm using an intel machine running 10.6.3 (Java 1.6, I think). I've also tried booting into 32-bit and giving it a go. Same error. I've tried the 74-etc IP (location set to Cydia in Umbrella) and the 127-etc IP. Neither worked. Both attempts resulted in finding BOTH IPs commented out in the /etc/hosts file when all is said and done. (That really mystifies me.) I'm using Umbrella v4.01.01. Seems to me that I had an older version of Umbrella that offered "Cydia," "Apple," and "local" for location choices. With the version I'm currently running--the newest, I believe--I only get Cydia and Apple for choices. But, if all of the relevant files are on my machine, then don't I want "local"?

NEW QUESTIONS: Is the problem that I'm trying to "restore" a 3.1.3 to 3.1.3? Does the IPSW have to be a different version, whether up or down? If so, why? Isn't the 3014 error usually associated with traffic problems, that is, getting unfettered access via 80? If yes, any idea where I've screwed up my configuration? Is it possible that other machines on my LAN are somehow causing problems?

Thanks again for your help (and patience!).

Default Ah, irony
    @Captainsmooth et al

So, after umpteen attempts to restore my Spirit JB 3GS (3.1.3, New Boot) using TinyUmbrella (I have 3.1.3 blobs on Cydia) and iTunes 9.1.1 (on 10.6.3), I decided to grab images of the whole process for posting. No matter how many times I changed the hosts file, something between iTunes and Umbrella caused all gs.apple.com IPs to get commented out. Very frustrating! I dragged the file to the desktop, edited (using a number of different editors), saved, dragged it back to /etc, and then corrected permissions. Going through the steps for a downgrade--well documented here and elsewhere--would result in a 1304 error. The behavior of iTunes suggested that nothing was being downloaded or unpacked (that is, almost immediately after confirming the restore it would yield an error). Checking on the content of the hosts file after a failed attempt would reveal a # in front of Sauriks IP.

Well, after a gazillion screen-grabs, I have gotten it to work, but I don't know how/why. (I made a lot of changes in my most recent attempt; I'd be a crap troubleshooter.) First, I booted into a 10.5.8 volume. Grasping, but I'd read in a few places that people downgrading within Windows environments at 64bit were experiencing difficulties. My 10.6.x build is at 64 but the 10.5.x build is 32. I also downloaded the ipsw file from another site (iClarify links). Edited the hosts file in 10.5 and this time did not put in the (commented-out) IP for local downgrade, just saurik's.

First two attempts from 10.5 failed, but with a different message: apple server unavailable--try again later (or something similar). Saurik's server commented out. Tried in both DFU and Recovery. When it finally worked, the following were true:

I was in DFU mode, with no applications running. Launched Tiny, started server. Launched iTunes, option-clicked restore and navigated to the ipsw. Voila! Anyone hazard a guess as to what combination of desperate button-mashing did the trick? (Incidentally, once all the items were talking, it was a breeze.)

I now have a stock 3GS running 3.1.3. Now, if I restore an earlier backup (contained in my 10.6.3 volume), will it simply omit the apps that I got from Cydia? Or, if it restores them, will they simply be nonfunctional? (Surely restoring a backup made when I was JB does not reJB the phone, yeah--I'd have to run spirit again, right?)

Green Apple
    Thanks

I wonder how you got the hosts file to work again ?
    When you edit a system file on the desktop (and not from its folder) it changes to user rights.

You can still set the permissions back to rwx-r---r-- but instead of System-group-everyone it has changed to User-group-everyone.
    You have to use disk utility to repair the disk rights then.

In 3.1.2 your Cydia apps will work all the same, I guess you've found out since ^^.
    LiveClock Shiny Apple Theme, including LiveClock Dark - hmm, candlelight... - is on Cydia
    . . . . . . . (On iPhone 4 you'll have to put both out of their "Themes"-folder. Sorry for that)

@Rocky34

Wish I knew. I recall that when I was trying to edit it while in a 10.6 build, the permissions needed correcting--that is, when attempting to correct permissions in Disk Utility, the utility reported corrections made. But when I was working from within 10.5, there were no corrections reported.

It's possible that I safe booted--I'm pretty sure I didn't, but it's possible. Also, I tried to change the metadate so that hosts would always open with my preferred editor, rather than having to right-click and mandate the app. It told me I couldn't do that (I think on grounds that hosts is a system file, wherever it's located). And as soon as I clicked the "always open files of this type with this app" I thought it was dumb, given the sort of file it is. the odd thing is, it stopped opening with the undesirable app and started opening with an app I never would have thought to use, viz., Script Editor. And the icon for hosts changed to a ghost of what it was, like even more hidden than the usual hidden. After that, the saurik IP stopped getting commented out.

For all I know--which is almost nothing about the inner workings of my os--this stuff has nothing to do with why it worked when it finally did. But maybe smarter folks can figure it out. I would like to be a little more confident regarding my prospects for restoring my jb phone, and I can't say that this experience has done that. I'd also really like to be able to do a local restore, since my blobs are stored locally, as well as at Cydia; when I finally was successful, it was via the Cydia-stored shsh.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Ok Im sure this has been answered a million times and I apologize in advance if Im repeating thing that have already been answered but Im just really lost right now and I'm trying to figure this out. Im pretty much a noob.

Here is my situation...

I have a 3gs newbootroom which was recently jailbroken with spirt. Something happened to my phone where I was stuck in a loop so I had to do a restore, It updated me to 4.0 and I lost my jailbreak. I do have my 3.1.3 shsh blobs saved. What I was wondering was is it possiable to get my jailbreak back? What does having my shsh blobs saved do for me? And if this possiable how do I go about doing this??

Thanks and hopefully someone can point me in the right direction.

@Shadyraver

Bottom Line: Yes, you should be able to restore your phone to a 3.1.3/JB state, given your blobs from an earlier JB.

Having your shsh saved is what make the above true. That is [brace yourself for a first-grader explication, as that about exhausts my understanding], in order to install a particular version of the os, your phone requires, basically, a digital go-ahead, which is generated in part from details unique to your particular device. Without this, an attempt to install the os will fail. But, Apple will only authorize, i.e., give the go-ahead to, requests for the most recent version; obviously, they do not care whether the newest version is also a JBable version. (But that matters to some.). Having your shsh saved (Cydia, I assume?), puts you in a position to manage this difficulty. Playing the role of Apple-the-Authorizer: Saurik's server, where your shsh are located. With a few free (or donation-supported) apps and a lot of patience, you likely can fix your setup.

Here's what you'll need to have: your phone, activated sim, spirit JB program, iTunes 9.1.x (ideally the one where your backups are located if you plan to restore one), tinyumbrella 4.1, admin privileges. Then go to the post in this forum about downgrading from 4 to 3.1.x, where the author explains how to set things up so that iTunes ends up requesting the go-ahead from Cydia, not Apple, and receiving approval (in the form of your returned blobs).

Anyway, once you get back to 3.1.3, you can restore a backup, if you wish and reJB with spirit.

Good luck.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to elenchusjunkie For This Useful Post:

Shadyraver (2010-07-23)

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

what do you mean when you say activated sim??

Also is there a way to check to see if your SHSH blobs are still saved on Cydia's Server??
    Last edited by Shadyraver; 2010-07-23 at 01:54 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Green Apple
    Thanks

Better say a SIM that can be used with your iPhone, same operator if the phone isn't unlocked.

SHSH :
    If you're jailbroken, on the top of the Cydia homepage.
    If not, download Tiny Umbrella from The Firmware Umbrella
    You can check AND save your SHSH files with this program.
    It comes with a Readme-file, easy to handle.

And I would like to address you to another interesting thread which might answer to most of your questions :

http://modmyi.com/forums/3g-s-downgr...-new-post.html
    Last edited by Rocky34; 2010-07-23 at 02:54 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    LiveClock Shiny Apple Theme, including LiveClock Dark - hmm, candlelight... - is on Cydia
    . . . . . . . (On iPhone 4 you'll have to put both out of their "Themes"-folder. Sorry for that)