Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Downgrading 4.0 to 3.1 help

Default Downgrading 4.0 to 3.1 help
    I need some help i think i might of screw up i bought a 3gs with 3.1 i jailbroke it with blackra1n and selected yes make my life easier on Cydia, 3 hrs later i decide to upgrade to 4.0 with pwn and now when i try to go back to 3.1 because my phone is just too slow it wont allow me to downgrade.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    Hi luisandlinda.
    Just follow the instructions and u will have ur 3.1 back on ur iPhone

Sorry for my bad english , my german language is better

1. Open the file C : \Windows\System32\drivers\etc\hosts (Windows 32 bit) or /etc/hosts (Mac OS X) and add the following entry to the bottom of the file.
    74.208.10.249 gs.apple.com
    2. Download IREB - iH8sn0w from "http://ih8sn0w.com/index.php/welcome.snow"
    or "http://www.filestube.com/0d8436c326a61fea03ea,g/iH8sn0w-iREB-V3-1-2-For-Windows-English.html"
    3. Download ur orriginal firmware 3.1 for iPhone 3GS
    4. In iTunes Shift + Restore to 3.1 (or other Firmware with SHSH saved on Cydia server)
    5. Received Error 1015
    6. Close iTunes (ur iPhone is in DFU - RECOVERY mode)
    7. Open IREB - iH8sn0w and run FIX RECOVERY MODE LOOP
    8. Install LibUSB folowing the direction from IREB - iH8sn0w
    9. Select ur iPhone model and have fun

Ur baseband will be 5.13.04 (baseband from iOS 4) but u will have iOS 3.1.3, u can JAILBREAK it and UNLOCK it

For JAILBREAK 3.X

1. Download SPIRIT.EXE from "http://www.chip.de/downloads/c1_downloads_hs_getfile_v1_43068047.html?t=1279350 388&v=3600&"
    2. Connect ur iPhone without iTunes, run Spirit and click JAILBREAK (if u get error try to run it in Compatibility mode Windows 98/Windows Me)

After this u will have Cydia on ur iPhone

For UNLOCK

1. Go to "Cydia"
    2. Click on "Manage" tab on the bottom
    3. Click on "Edit" and then on "Add". You will be prompted to enter a url source. Type "http://cydia.hackulo.us" and click on "Add Source"
    4. Cydia will now automatically update your sources by following a series of automated steps
    5. After installation is completed. Search for "AppSync for OS 3.1" in Cydia and install this application. This app will automatically patch your mobileinstallation file.
    6. Click on "Manage" tab on the bottom
    7. Click on "Edit" and then on "Add". You will be prompted to enter a url source. Type "http://repo666.ultrasn0w.com" and click on "Add Source"
    8. After installation is completed. Search for "ultrasn0w" version 0.93 in Cydia and install this application.
    9. Turn off ur phone and turn it on again...

After this ur iPhone will be unlocked

IMPORTANT: If u have chance do all this steps on Win XP because I had troubles with Win 7 and with Win Vista
    Last edited by igrujic; 2010-07-17 at 06:18 PM.

Thanks for this igrujic, can you help with the first step please:-
    1. Open the file C : \Windows\System32\drivers\etc\hosts (Windows) or /etc/hosts (Mac OS X) and add the following entry to the bottom of the file.
    74.208.10.249 gs.apple.com

When I try to open the 'hosts' file I get a box asking me what program I want to use to open the file. I've tried notepad and word and when I add the quoted text to the word or notepad file it doesn't let me save it over the existing file. Can you advise whre I'm going wrong?? Sorry - new to this!

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    That was a problem with my host file also and Windows 7 and Windows Vista... Thats why I wrote that using Win XP will be easyer (just edit host file using notepad)...

U can only try to run Notepad as Administrator. Find the shortcut for Notepad in your Programs list, right-click on it and choose "run as Administrator". Now do File>Open to get the Hosts file. Make your changes and maybe you should be able to save it now.
    Last edited by igrujic; 2010-07-17 at 12:33 PM.

Thanks again! My machine is Windows Vista so that must be the prob. Have tried to do via administrator but no luck either. Any other tips on how to downgrade?

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    No, sorry, I tried almost everything (running Win 7 64bit) and at the end I install Win XP 32bit on my second notebook....

Tried again and it worked so I'll crack on with it and see what probem I come up with next! Thanks again for your help

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    Viel Spass = Have fun

Ha ha - I've came up against a problem already at step 2! Tried to download iREB via that link above and it come with an error. The link takes me to Media Fire and when I click to start download I'm getting an error and the link doen't appear to be working....any suggestions

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

What you want to do is simple:

-After editing the file, go to save as.
    -Save the file to your desktop as hosts. (At this point, make sure the file extensions are turned on so you can delete any extension that Notepad is going to assign it)
    -Now, open your finder, and navigate to where the original host file is located, and copy the one you just made on your desktop into that folder and allow it to override.

Good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by mmur View Post
    Thanks again! My machine is Windows Vista so that must be the prob. Have tried to do via administrator but no luck either. Any other tips on how to downgrade?

hallo i grujic, ich denke dass uns die kommunikation auf deutsch leichter fallen wird.

ich hab alles genau so gemacht wie du es beschrieben hast, allerdings bekomme ich den fehler 3194 und nicht 1015, somit lässt sich dann auch nicht mehr fortfahren, denn das mit dem recovery mode loop fixer, da tut sich auch nichts.

hast du eine ahnung was ich tun könnte?

danke für deine hilfe!

Question for you the original firmware that came with the phone was 3.1 and not 3.1.3 i checked before buying the phone and 3.1.3 does not work on Blackra1n. Should i try to downgrade from 4.0 to 3.1.3 instead of 3.1?

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by luisandlinda View Post
    Question for you the original firmware that came with the phone was 3.1 and not 3.1.3 i checked before buying the phone and 3.1.3 does not work on Blackra1n. Should i try to downgrade from 4.0 to 3.1.3 instead of 3.1?
    Answer on ur qustion is in step 4

Thank you i will try your method on PC when i get home from Work.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by abogo View Post
    hallo i grujic, ich denke dass uns die kommunikation auf deutsch leichter fallen wird.

ich hab alles genau so gemacht wie du es beschrieben hast, allerdings bekomme ich den fehler 3194 und nicht 1015, somit lässt sich dann auch nicht mehr fortfahren, denn das mit dem recovery mode loop fixer, da tut sich auch nichts.

hast du eine ahnung was ich tun könnte?

danke für deine hilfe!
    Servus abogo,
    I understand that we can talk in german, but this is international forum, so I will reply in english (even my english is not so good and, as far as I can see, u understand my bad english also

Fehler - Error 3194 means that:
    u r trying to restore firmware without setting the HOST file to 74.208.10.249 gs.apple.com or u dont have SHSH on Cydia server for that firmware !
    Only in this 2 cases I got error 3194

I.

its giving me 3194 error - The iphone could not be restored