Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: 3GS - Old BootRom -- iOs4 -- Jailbreak-able? (jailbreak matrix says YES)

Thumbs up 3GS - Old BootRom -- iOs4 -- Jailbreak-able? (jailbreak matrix says YES)
    Yes I am a 'newb' to this particular forum but I've been going through a bunch of sites to get some legit answers & found myself coming back to this site so I thought I might as well ask here...

I remember 'jailbreaking' and modding & unlocking my V3 (Razr) way back when ...

anyway I recently got a 3G S [intend to use it w/ T-Mo]

Model: MB717LL
    Serial #: 87925_____
    Modem Firmware: 05.13.04
    Old Boot Rom: (359.3)
    Running: iOS4

Its never been jailbroken so I can't use SHSH to downgrade (I've tried).

According to JailbreakMaxtrix my phone is Jailbreakable & unlockable.

Unfortunately I am a windows User & cannot use PWNAGE Tools to jailbreak my phone... so in my search I came by this site. [PWN'd iOS4]

and I d/l'd the Cooked / Pwnd iOS4 IPSW ...
    Tried going into recovery mode & installing it on Itunes 9.2 & had no luck.
    Went into DFU Mode still no luck. [GOT 1600 Error both times]

Tried creating a Custom IPSW w/ sn0wbreeze (simple mode) & had no luck.

So my questions are:

What can I do to Jailbreak this device?

Is there any way I can Download a custom/cooked IPSW & use iTunes to put it on my iPhone while using WINDOWS?

... will I be able to jailbreak it if I use a MAC?
    Last edited by iPhonz; 2010-07-16 at 08:07 AM.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to iPhonz For This Useful Post:

oarce12 (2010-07-28)

Nope. You cannot JB a 3Gs on iOS 4 if you never saved the SHSH blobs for version 3.xx before. The Matrix says it is Jailbreakable but it may have been confused with the 3Gs that was already Jailbroken at 3.xx and upgraded to iOS 4 using the Pwnagetool or Sn0wbreeze.

This is the process that will allow you to have a Jailbroken iOS 4 3Gs.

1. If you have saved the SHSHs for 3.xx before (therefore this assumes that you have jailbroken the unit previously) then you can downgrade the stock iOS 4 to versio 3.xx using the Localserver signing method or Saurik-Cydia signing method.
    2. You will need to re-jailbreak with either Spirit or Blackrain for the 3.xx version.
    3. Once you have downgraded, you can then upgrade the 3Gs to iOS4.0 using the PwnageTool or Sn0wbreeze method

As you can see, there are several requirements that your unit needs to have before you can have a Jailbroken 3Gs.

4. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to azraeil For This Useful Post:

iPhonz (2010-07-22), mr.sparky (2010-07-20), roro24satx (2010-07-22), yanman (2010-07-21)

Livin the iPhone Life mr.sparky's Avatar
    Thanks

That's a nice solid answer to a question that was really researched... I wish more people here did some research before posting the same question over and over and over and over and over and over again... Thank you both

6. The Following User Says Thank You to mr.sparky For This Useful Post:

iPhonz (2010-07-22)

Default any chance for solution soon?
    I was also happy to find this clear question and answer. I'm new to this forum so hope my question is not to naive.
    I have exactly the same problem and wanted to ask the Forum about the chances that this would be solved soon. Could it also happen that no one is interested in providing a solution for this particular scenario. I could imagine that the dev team is more interested in solving more recent jailbreaks/unlocks? Any opinions on that? Thanks.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Greeno For This Useful Post:

iPhonz (2010-07-22)

Well I suppose I'll be on the lookout for the New Jailbreak then... hopefully the iPhone just comes to T-Mob. like they speculate so I can actually get 3G / 4G speeds.

Retired Moderator
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,202 Times in 1,924 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by azraeil View Post
    Nope. You cannot JB a 3Gs on iOS 4 if you never saved the SHSH blobs for version 3.xx before. The Matrix says it is Jailbreakable but it may have been confused with the 3Gs that was already Jailbroken at 3.xx and upgraded to iOS 4 using the Pwnagetool or Sn0wbreeze.

This is the process that will allow you to have a Jailbroken iOS 4 3Gs.

1. If you have saved the SHSHs for 3.xx before (therefore this assumes that you have jailbroken the unit previously) then you can downgrade the stock iOS 4 to versio 3.xx using the Localserver signing method or Saurik-Cydia signing method.
    2. You will need to re-jailbreak with either Spirit or Blackrain for the 3.xx version.
    3. Once you have downgraded, you can then upgrade the 3Gs to iOS4.0 using the PwnageTool or Sn0wbreeze method

As you can see, there are several requirements that your unit needs to have before you can have a Jailbroken 3Gs.
    Some adjustments... Just cuz you have SHSHs saved doesnt necessarily mean you were jailbroken before. They can be saved without a jailbroken phone. Also, when downgrading to 3.1.x, you shouldnt use Spirit to jailbreak and then upgrade to 4.0 and try to jailbreak. Spirit causes problems for jailbreak on 4.0 if used on 3.1.x. So another method would be necessary.

If jailbroken before on 3.1.x with a non Spirit method, then upgraded to 4.0, it should be jailbreakable via Sn0wbreeze or PwnageTool.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Anniex423 View Post
    Some adjustments... Just cuz you have SHSHs saved doesnt necessarily mean you were jailbroken before. They can be saved without a jailbroken phone. Also, when downgrading to 3.1.x, you shouldnt use Spirit to jailbreak and then upgrade to 4.0 and try to jailbreak. Spirit causes problems for jailbreak on 4.0 if used on 3.1.x. So another method would be necessary.

If jailbroken before on 3.1.x with a non Spirit method, then upgraded to 4.0, it should be jailbreakable via Sn0wbreeze or PwnageTool.
    But, excuse me guys, isn't this where most of us are ending up with the same problem. I have an iphone 3GS Old Bootrom, 3.1.3 with BD 5.12.01. Jailbroken before with Blackrain,something happened and had to jailbreak with Spirit.

Now most sites say if you've JB with Spirit you can't upgrade and for now your pretty much fecked. But, 3.1.3 isn't allowing any other program apart from Spirit to JB it. Or am I wrong, tried Blackra1n and it failed and the rest just aren't' working.

Any help here, I also want to upgrade to 4.0, downloaded the IPSW files tried upgrading using TinyUmbrella TSS server running, with iTunes, but no luck. What could I be doing wrong? I just get errors on itunes, and the files fails to load. Also tried updating directly through itunes but, no luck.

Employ your time in improving yourself by other men's writings, so that you shall gain easily what others have laboured hard for.
    Socrates

Retired Moderator
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,202 Times in 1,924 Posts

If you jailbroke with Spirit you will have to restore again on 3.1.x and jailbreak with Sn0wbreeze or PwnageTool. Then upgrade to 4.0 by creating a custom fw with Sn0wbreeze or PwnageTool. You cant upgrade thru iTunes to a stock 4.0 like what you were trying to do if you wanna jailbreak it.

And Blackra1n only works on 3.1.2.
    Last edited by i.Annie; 2010-07-28 at 08:10 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

13. The Following User Says Thank You to i.Annie For This Useful Post:

kenyan (2010-07-28)

Thanks

Or :
    If you are stuck on 3.1.3 Spirit Jailbreak and want to upgrade to a 4.0 Jailbreak:

Restore to default with 3.1.3 and JB using spirit
    (if can’t activate, then you can try without restore)
    Use Cydia to install the following packages: afc2add, openSSH, MobileTerminal
    Download Spirit2Pwn and extract
    Get sn0wbreeze 1.5.2
    Get 3.1.3 ipsw and 4.0 ipsw
    Create a 3.1.3 Customer firmware using sn0wbreeze. Ignore the warning (if any) and just create the firmware. We’re not going to restore using this firmware anyway.
    Firmware should be put on Desktop. Go to desktop and rename it to something that identify it as 3.1.3 Sn0wbreeze firmware. Also, change the extension to zip.
    Extract the zip file
    Connect your iPhone to your WiFi. Use SFTP and login to your iPhone. If you have no SFTP client, you can use FileZilla . Default username/password combo is: “root”/”alpine” (without the quotes)
    Copy all the files you find in “Firmware/all_flash/all_flash.n88ap.production” (from the extracted custom firmware) to iPhone’s “/tmp”
    Copy all the files you extracted from spirit2pwn_r2.zip to iPhone’s “/tmp”.
    NOTE: Some reports error, so you may want to make another copy of “pwn_old_boot_r2.sh” on the /tmp named “pwn_old_boot_r1.sh”
    Once done, SSH into the phone using PuTTy or use MobileTerminal on the phone
    Use the same credentials as the SFTP credentials. Then run the following commands:
    cd /tmp
    chmod 755 pwn_old_boot_r2.sh
    chmod 755 pwn_old_boot_r1.sh
    ./pwn_old_boot_r2.sh
    Wait for the process to say “SUCCESS”
    type “reboot” and let the phone reboot
    Download sn0wbreeze 1.6.1
    Create custom firmware for iOS4
    Use the Shift+Restore (on Windows) or Alt+Restore (on Mac) and point to the custom iOS4 firmware.
    NOTE: If you’re not using iTunes 9.2 at this point, an error (13) will be raised
    After complete, use Cydia and install the same packages again (openSSH, afc2add, MobileTerminal) and add another repository: ultrasn0w.com
    Find Ultrasn0w and your phone is now jailbroken and unlocked on iOS4

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Simtech For This Useful Post:

kenyan (2010-07-28), oarce12 (2010-07-28)

Thanks

Wooow Thanks guys for the speedy reply and help, will definitely try both methods and get back to you. Special thanks to Simtech, very detailed and long, some of the stuff there I have never tried, but there is no time like the present to learn to do them.

Thanks.

SimtechThanks is not enough to start with, you took time to reply to my distress call and you explained at length what I needed to do.

After 3 Hrs from 2am to 5am, I finally got my 3GS 3.1.3 upgraded with iOS4, and it works like a treat, Ooh and it comes Jailbroken as well, no need to look for another JB tool. So THANKS!!!

Though I was abit rusty with Putty, on Win7 64bit, and my FireFTP, had refused to connect to the iphone at 1st. When I did abit more research as well as tried and never gave up, I finally got there.

I hope the moderator can use your answer as a Big Sticky somewhere for every1 with an OLD Bootrom and a 3GS, with 3.1.3 saved up. As many do not have the 3.1.2 Blobs, or bought their iphones with the 1st iOS 3.1.3.

So guys it works just do some research on the Technical terms and ur in. Thanks again Simtech!!
    Last edited by kenyan; 2010-07-29 at 03:31 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Employ your time in improving yourself by other men's writings, so that you shall gain easily what others have laboured hard for.
    Socrates

Hey Guys,

I have the same IPhone (3GS Old Boot) but using version 3.1.2 Redsn0w/unlocked (ultrasn0w).

Is it possible to migrate to iOS4 and keep it unlocked?

Thanks!

Thanks
    Thanked 2,764 Times in 2,652 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by BrunoW View Post
    Hey Guys,

I have the same IPhone (3GS Old Boot) but using version 3.1.2 Redsn0w/unlocked (ultrasn0w).

Is it possible to migrate to iOS4 and keep it unlocked?

Thanks!
    Yes, restore to custom firmware 4.0 and unlock with Ultrasn0w.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to iYeow For This Useful Post:

BrunoW (2010-07-31)