Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Help iPhone 3GS on 4.0

Default Help iPhone 3GS on 4.0
    I have just upgraded my iphone 3gs to 4.0 and i want to jailbreak it. Not sure what procedures i need to take. I have seen that it has to be 3.1.2 in order to jailbreak the 4.0 is that true? Can someone give some directions on how to jailbreak it.

Thanks

Thanks

You can only jailbreak it if you have your SHSH files for 3.1.x stored. If you do, you downgrade, jailbreak, create a custom 4.0 firmware, <shift> Restore to custom firmware.

how do i find out if i do have SHSH files on my iphone?

Livin the iPhone Life CaptainChaos's Avatar
    Thanks

Alter your iTunes hosts folder to point at Sauriks server(google it) and download a stock 3.1.2 from apple(in our downloads section) then Shift/Restore to the 3.1.2 that you downloaded. If it lets you then you are golden Jailbreak with blackrain, then Shift/Restore again to a custom 4.0 that you created with Snowbreeze or one you downloaded from the Internet. Otherwise download umbrella/tinyTSS to see what shsh files you may have.
    Last edited by CaptainChaos; 2010-07-12 at 10:02 PM.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to CaptainChaos For This Useful Post:

kouspo619 (2010-07-12)

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Simtech For This Useful Post:

kouspo619 (2010-07-12)

is there another way a much more simpler way?

Livin the iPhone Life CaptainChaos's Avatar
    Thanks

Absolutely not. With the 3GS anyways. You could get a 3G phone for simplicity, but the 3GS blows it away.

haha alright. i need help with the Sauriks server thing im currently on a mac osx 10.6.4.

Connect your phone to TinyUmbrella and click "Display SHSH". If nothing is displayed, wait for the userland JB. There's nothing more you can do at this time. If you do see an SHSH for 3.1.3 or 3.1.2, come back and let us know. We'll point you in the right direction.

nah nothing is displayed. Will there be a jailbreak for 4.0 in the future where you will not need to downgrade in order to jailbreak it?

Drinks the Kool Aid Captinsmooth's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by kouspo619 View Post
    nah nothing is displayed. Will there be a jailbreak for 4.0 in the future where you will not need to downgrade in order to jailbreak it?
    Should be one released within the next few weeks. Sit tight and in the mean time save your shsh blobs for 4.0 just in case.
    This post infers no rights and is provided as is.

Click here to follow me on twitter

so i have a quick question.

my friend has a 3gs w/ old bootrom on 4.0 with 5.13 baseband. i dont think he ever saved his shsh blobs while on 3.1.x and he put 4.0 on. so you HAVE to downgrade to 3.1.x BEFORE jb'ing 4.0? thanks in advance guys!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jabregousmc View Post
    so i have a quick question.

my friend has a 3gs w/ old bootrom on 4.0 with 5.13 baseband. i dont think he ever saved his shsh blobs while on 3.1.x and he put 4.0 on. so you HAVE to downgrade to 3.1.x BEFORE jb'ing 4.0? thanks in advance guys!
    There is currently no way to jailbreak a 3GS that is on stock 4.0. The phone has to be on 3.1.x then upgrade to 4.0 with a custom fw.

yeah i know that it cant be on stock 4.0. i was just wondering about the downgrade portion. i checked in tiny umbrella and he doesnt have his shsh blobs saved from 3.1.x so cant downgrade and then load up a CFW. thanks though!

Thanks

No SHSH files, no downgrade..