Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Is there a way to downgrade the phone's restore file(s)?

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Default Is there a way to downgrade the phone's restore file(s)?
    I upgraded to 4.0 and have had nothing but problems since. I was on 3.1.2 I think and since I've been on 4.0 I've had at least 3 instances where the phone glitches on me so I have to do a hard reboot and it boots into safe mode. There was even one time where I couldn't get out of safe mode. Every time I restarted it would just go into safe mode. On top of that, the theme I want to use isn't even compatible with 4.0, so I want to just go back to 3.1.2.

The problem is that when I try to restore my phone to one of my iTunes backups, it says it can't complete my request because my firmware is too old.

So is there a way to "downgrade" my 4.0 backup so I can sync everything with my phone again? I don't want to lose all my texts and emails and stuff.

EDIT: Judging by the lack of responses, there's no way to downgrade the restore file(s).

Is there at least an app to back up my texts/phone calls/emails, etc so that I can downgrade to 3.1.2 and then just sync them back up?

Matt
    Last edited by DarkoNova; 2010-07-08 at 11:35 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    WHITE 32GB Verizon iPhone 4 - 6.0.1
    Dual 1.2 Ghz G4, OS X 10.4.11
    2.2 Ghz MacBook, OS X 10.7.5
    69 Nova
    71 Duster

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

I know you can manually store them from the phone (what I don't know if it works between 3.x and 4.x - it does work between 3.x and 3.x). For example, if you wanted to store and re-use your text messages, you'd go into the phone and copy the entire folder at /var/mobile/Library/SMS (note down the file/folder permissions). Restore the phone and then copy the folder back to the same location. You should be able to do this for texts, calls, mails and whatever else you'd like.
    We're all just toymakers in the game of life.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to dhamien For This Useful Post:

DarkoNova (2010-07-11)

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Yeah, I just figured it out last night. I'm on another computer right now, but later today I'll post links and/or guides for anyone else having similar problems.

Matt
    WHITE 32GB Verizon iPhone 4 - 6.0.1
    Dual 1.2 Ghz G4, OS X 10.4.11
    2.2 Ghz MacBook, OS X 10.7.5
    69 Nova
    71 Duster