Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Cant unlock 3GS on 4.0

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Default Cant unlock 3GS on 4.0
    I have an iPhone 3GS that was jailbroken on 3.1.X (I don't remember) and my friend updated it to 4.0

Now it's on 4.0 and I cant jailbreak it
    I used snow breeze to create a firmware of 4.0 that would jailbreak it but itunes gives me error 1604

I also get the same error when I try to downgrade it to any other firmware version

Please help, thanks in advance everyone!

Livin the iPhone Life CaptainChaos's Avatar
    Thanks

You can downgrade if Cydia has your SHSH files stored. You will not be able to unlock it though as you now have a new baseband. Search here to find out how to alter your iTunes Hosts file and downgrade to 3.1.2 or 3.1.3.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to CaptainChaos For This Useful Post:

Mac19124 (2010-07-08)

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

I got the iPhone from a friend, and he doesn't even remember what Cydia is :/

Is there any other way?

Thanks

No. You have to have the SHSH files. Do a search for Firmware Umbrella/Tiny TSS and it will let you know about whether you have the files. Do the Hosts file rerouting and try to get downgraded to 3.1.3 or even better 3.1.2. Then jailbreak it with Blackra1n(on 3.1.2)It can't hurt to try. Then you can move up to 4.0 jailbroken with a custom firmware.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to CaptainChaos For This Useful Post:

Mac19124 (2010-07-08)

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

I'm honestly not sure what the first part means I'm sorry.
    But I did download 3.1.2 firmware but I get a 1604 error when trying to restore it.

Are their any posts you could possibly link me to to help me understand the first part of what you were saying?

Again thank you so much for the help

Thanks

Downgrade iPhone 3GS OS 3.1.3 to 3.1.2 With Cydia SHSH | jailbreak

start the process from where it reads: How to edit and save host files in windows.

At the top of the Modmyi.com page go to the Downloads section. Download 3.1.2 for the 3GS. Save it on your desktop.

Alter your hosts file by following the instructions with the link I provided.

In iTunes, with your phone plugged in, hold down your Shift key while pressing Restore. A box will pop up. Select the 3.1.2 firmware on your desktop. Press OK. If it restores to 3.1.2 then you can Jailbreak with blackra1n.com. If it doesn't restore then download 3.1.3 and shift/restore again. If that works then use Spirit to jailbreak. If it doesn't work then you may not have SHSH files and will have to wait until 4.0 jailbreak is released.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to CaptainChaos For This Useful Post:

Mac19124 (2010-07-08)

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Thanks so much, I'll try this later tonight when I'm home
    You've been a great help!

I tried it, 3.1.2 quite while preparing for restore and 3.1.3 went halfway through but than quite with error 3194 I researched it and the only solutions available are for people who cached the signatures of the previous firmware witch I think is what you were talking about with the SHSH files

Thanks for the help anyway though, these forums are lucky to have you CaptainChaos!
    Last edited by Mac19124; 2010-07-09 at 12:44 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost