Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: relocking 3gs

Default relocking 3gs
    hi..

i have a 3gs iphone on os 3.0 (7A341) baseband 04.26.08

i unlocked it to work on certain carrier in uk which did not support iphone at the time... this carrier now supports iphone so i wanted to restore my iphone so i can upgrade to os 4.0...

can i just hit restore in itunes?

after its restored i can go to original carrier and pay a small fee for them to unlock officially then allowing me to go with existing carrier and upgrade os as apple releases it.. once restored i dont want to jailbreak ( or unlock ) any more...

anyone got any answers!!!!!

dont want to brick phone... and find it really hard getting advice on this...

cheers

S.

Thanks

If you want to restore it back to stock, just restore it in iTunes.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to soulthoughts For This Useful Post:

steve0 (2010-07-07)

i had read various places that itwould make it impossible to upgrade os via itunes..and then brick it..?

am i wrong?

Thanks

No this will not brick the phone, but you are correct in the fact that you'll have to go to the original carrier to have it unlocked.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to jkmonkey For This Useful Post:

steve0 (2010-07-07)

Yea just hit restore

8. The Following User Says Thank You to winvargh For This Useful Post:

steve0 (2010-07-07)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,764 Times in 2,652 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by steve0 View Post
    hi..

i have a 3gs iphone on os 3.0 (7A341) baseband 04.26.08

i unlocked it to work on certain carrier in uk which did not support iphone at the time... this carrier now supports iphone so i wanted to restore my iphone so i can upgrade to os 4.0...

can i just hit restore in itunes?

after its restored i can go to original carrier and pay a small fee for them to unlock officially then allowing me to go with existing carrier and upgrade os as apple releases it.. once restored i dont want to jailbreak ( or unlock ) any more...

anyone got any answers!!!!!

dont want to brick phone... and find it really hard getting advice on this...

cheers

S.
    Create a custom firmware of iOS 4.0 ,
    For Mac : Pwnage tools 4.0.1
    For Pc : Snowbreeze 1.6.2
    It will create a cfw iOS 4.0 on your desktop
    Then Do a Shift key + Restore (Itunes)
    and once finished you are jailbroken at iOS 4.0
    you can now go to Cydia, let it update and install Ultrasn0w to unlock for all gsm.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to iYeow For This Useful Post:

steve0 (2010-07-07)

ok... yeow202

need some help..

downloaded pwnage 4.0.1

selected 3gs and custom build and then selected the iPhone2,1_4.0_8A293_Restore.ipsw which i had downloaded via iclarified.. ( this was the only 3gs 4.0 os on thier list...

clicked build and its now given me.. iPhone2,1_4.0_8A293_Custom_Restore.ipsw

if i now do a Shift key + Restore in itunes and select this ipsw file i will end up with a jailbroken iphone with 0s4 but back with original carrier.. i then run ultrasn0w to unlock..

sorry .. but wanted to check i was using correct ispw..

can anyone help me on this?

many thanks...

S.
    Last edited by steve0; 2010-07-08 at 10:40 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Thanks

Yes those are the correct steps to get a jailbroken 4.0 and to unlock it. When you created the firmware with pwnage did you select "activate the phone"? You want to make sure you choose that option since your on an unofficial carrier.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to jkmonkey For This Useful Post:

steve0 (2010-07-09)

thanks for that... i had not done that bit.. should i update the baseband as well?

Thanks

No there's no need to update the baseband, and by using a custom fw it won't be updated.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to jkmonkey For This Useful Post:

steve0 (2010-07-09)

cheers..i'm going for it!!

Hi, I realize this post may be dead, but I have a similar question to the one originally posted: I have a jailbroken, unlocked 3GS, running IOS 4.2.1 and baseband 06.15.00 (ipad). I have no problems with it, whatsoever, GPS, everything works just fine. I've been using it this way for the past 1.5 years, since I moved abroad. I did, however, finish my contract with ATT and the phone is eligible to be factory unlocked now.
    So, my friend wants to buy the phone and I would like to factory unlock it and reset it to factory settings for her. How do I go about doing this? I know I can't just use itunes reset, because it will give me error 1015 or whatever, or brick it.

I need a very simplified, idiot-proof explanation of how to do this properly. I did unlock my iphone myself, thanks to watching lots of tutorials on youtube and following each step meticulously. I can't, however, find anything definitive on "relocking" "unjailbreaking" and "restoring" my phone with my particular IOs and baseband unlock.

Could anyone help me out? Cheers!

Quote Originally Posted by cranberriesfan View Post
    Hi, I realize this post may be dead, but I have a similar question to the one originally posted: I have a jailbroken, unlocked 3GS, running IOS 4.2.1 and baseband 06.15.00 (ipad). I have no problems with it, whatsoever, GPS, everything works just fine. I've been using it this way for the past 1.5 years, since I moved abroad. I did, however, finish my contract with ATT and the phone is eligible to be factory unlocked now.
    So, my friend wants to buy the phone and I would like to factory unlock it and reset it to factory settings for her. How do I go about doing this? I know I can't just use itunes reset, because it will give me error 1015 or whatever, or brick it.

I need a very simplified, idiot-proof explanation of how to do this properly. I did unlock my iphone myself, thanks to watching lots of tutorials on youtube and following each step meticulously. I can't, however, find anything definitive on "relocking" "unjailbreaking" and "restoring" my phone with my particular IOs and baseband unlock.

Could anyone help me out? Cheers!
    if you already finish your contract with ATT, the best way is to call at&t and tell you you want to unlock your 3gs because its no longer in contract, they will ask for the IMEI and in a couple days, they will send you instructions on how to unlock it,

once you follow the instructions to unlock, itunes will state that your phone is officially unlocked and your friend wont have to worry about loosing the unlock if he ever restores the phone or updates it, because its unlocked forever

Thanks

Thing is, you will always be stuck with that 6.15 baseband...have to always do custom FW..

Hey, that's what I thought...there is no way to get back to factory, right? Some people somewhere have been talking about custom ipsw, i don't even know what that is...but any other ideas?

@6thday, i already have the ATT unlock ready to go, but will that brick my iphone, if they detect the ipad baseband?