Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: bricked(?) 3gs w/ 3.0 firmware, not sure where to go from here

Default bricked(?) 3gs w/ 3.0 firmware, not sure where to go from here
    I have done lots of jailbreaks, unlocks etc in the past and never had a problem, but this is the first time. I did a jailbreak on my 3gs w/ 3.0 firmware- and it actually went fine. I should have just left well enough alone, but I wanted to erase the data on the phone (and re-jailbreak if necessary).
    So I used the reset function in the iphone settings app, and that's where thigns started to go wrong. It wanted me to activate with itunes again at first, but somehow it just magically stopped asking me without me actually activating. Then I tried to jailbreak again using redsn0w 0.8, and although it reported successfull, it got hung up just before the end. After resetting the phone, now the phone turns on fine and is recognized by iTunes, but the only app I have is cydia, and it crashes whenever I try to load it.

I have hte latest version of iTunes right now, and after trying (and learning it's not possible anymore) to restore to 3.0, I downloaded and tried to restore to 3.1, but it won't let me do that either. i get an "unknown error occurred (3194)" message. I also don't have any backed up ECID SHSH (and don't even really know what that is, just soemthing I found in reading about this).

So basically the phone is recognized as having 3.0, but is in a messed up state. The goal, if possible, is to restore back to something I can jailbreak, then use pwnage tool to get a jailbroken ios4 upgrade & unlock.

Can anyone give me an idea of where I can go from here to get back on track with that?... thanks

Edit: rebooted into recovery mode, and was able to re-jailbreak. The jailbreak was fully successful this time, but i'm still showing the same issue.

Really need some help with this, anything would be appreciated. If anyone has even seen this state (no icons in main area or dock except cydia/icy) and knows the details of what that means happened that would even be good. If I am just screwed and have no choice but to update to 4.0 and won't be able to jailbreak that would be good to know too.

I am able to install things via icy but cydia is still crashing on startup- if there's anything I can do with icy to get myself the shsh files or any other way out of this that would be great too...

thanks
    Last edited by manman1; 2010-07-07 at 02:38 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Thanks
    Thanked 2,764 Times in 2,652 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by manman1 View Post
    I have done lots of jailbreaks, unlocks etc in the past and never had a problem, but this is the first time. I did a jailbreak on my 3gs w/ 3.0 firmware- and it actually went fine. I should have just left well enough alone, but I wanted to erase the data on the phone (and re-jailbreak if necessary).
    So I used the reset function in the iphone settings app, and that's where thigns started to go wrong. It wanted me to activate with itunes again at first, but somehow it just magically stopped asking me without me actually activating. Then I tried to jailbreak again using redsn0w 0.8, and although it reported successfull, it got hung up just before the end. After resetting the phone, now the phone turns on fine and is recognized by iTunes, but the only app I have is cydia, and it crashes whenever I try to load it.

I have hte latest version of iTunes right now, and after trying (and learning it's not possible anymore) to restore to 3.0, I downloaded and tried to restore to 3.1, but it won't let me do that either. i get an "unknown error occurred (3194)" message. I also don't have any backed up ECID SHSH (and don't even really know what that is, just soemthing I found in reading about this).

So basically the phone is recognized as having 3.0, but is in a messed up state. The goal, if possible, is to restore back to something I can jailbreak, then use pwnage tool to get a jailbroken ios4 upgrade & unlock.

Can anyone give me an idea of where I can go from here to get back on track with that?... thanks

Edit: rebooted into recovery mode, and was able to re-jailbreak. The jailbreak was fully successful this time, but i'm still showing the same issue.

Really need some help with this, anything would be appreciated. If anyone has even seen this state (no icons in main area or dock except cydia/icy) and knows the details of what that means happened that would even be good. If I am just screwed and have no choice but to update to 4.0 and won't be able to jailbreak that would be good to know too.

I am able to install things via icy but cydia is still crashing on startup- if there's anything I can do with icy to get myself the shsh files or any other way out of this that would be great too...

thanks
    Put your Iphone into Recovery mode and you can directly restore to a custom firmware iOS 4.0 created either by Pwnage Tools 4.0.1 or Snowbreeze 1.6.2
    Last edited by iYeow; 2010-07-07 at 07:11 AM.

Thanks for the response! Actually I never thought about that..since my phone is technically jail broken even though it's in a funky state that could work..

just out of curiosity, why do you recommend ver. 3.1.5 of pwnage tool vs. 4.1 (which I thought was the one you're supposed to use to do the 4.0 unlock on 3gs?)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,764 Times in 2,652 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by manman1 View Post
    Thanks for the response! Actually I never thought about that..since my phone is technically jail broken even though it's in a funky state that could work..

just out of curiosity, why do you recommend ver. 3.1.5 of pwnage tool vs. 4.1 (which I thought was the one you're supposed to use to do the 4.0 unlock on 3gs?)
    I am sorry , i meant to say Pwngage 4.0.1, I kept thinking it was Pwnage 3.1.5 is for OS 3.1.3.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to iYeow For This Useful Post:

Mano21 (2010-07-07)