Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Downgrade 3GS 4.0 to 3.1.3 New Bootrom Baseband 05.13.04

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    Default Downgrade 3GS 4.0 to 3.1.3 New Bootrom Baseband 05.13.04
    It's been over a week and it seemed like the possibiities were running out, but I finally figured it out how to downgrade to 3.1.3 after mistakenly upgrading to 4.0 and iTunes 9.2. So here's what I can share....other than this I have no answers:

The hardware and software:

Dell PC running Windows 7 64-bit
    iPhone 3GS purchased with 3.1.3, baseband 05.13.04 and mistakenly upgraded to 4.0, formerly jailbroken with Spirit and using Cydia and Rock for most apps.

The fix:

1. The first thing I had to do was to find the correct firmware that matched my phone. I spent a lot of time downloading useless or incompatible firmware files. I finally located the file right here on modmyi.com under "Downloads-Firmware".

2. The next thing I had to do was to uninstall iTunes 9.2 using Windows Control Panel software add/remove. However I did a seach for all files with the file extension .itl which has the iTunes library index. I think the file name was itunes.itl and I renamed it itunes.itl_9.2 just in case the downgrade didn't work, I would at least preserve my library if I had to revert back to iTunes 9.2.

3. I made a copy of iTunes 9.1 when I first got the phone and saved it on my hard drive. So the next step was to re-install iTunes 9.1. I'm sure you can find a copy of iTunes 9.1 on the internet if you don't have a local copy.

4. At this point I tried all kinds of programs to get the firmware update to complete successfully: iH9sn0w-iREB, QuickPwn22, RecBoot, redsn0w-win_0.9.4, Sn0wbreeze, rslite102semi, to name a few....nothing worked. I kept getting a 1504, a 1505 or a 3491 error so.....

5. I learned that 2 other components were required to complete the firmware installation: a program that would allow the PC to communicate with the iPhone via USB and a program that would restart the phone after the firmware update was installed, because there was no other way to reboot or restart the phone. The USB communicaton link program that I had to use because I have a 64-bit version of Windows is call LIBUSB64Fix.zip. You should read ALL of the readme.txt files that are included with the download. This unzips into 3 sub-directories and the first two sub-directories have the readme.txt files and the executable files for that step and the third sub-directory has the last executable file.

6. The other component, the firmware reboot or restart program (and there were many that I tried that failed) is called Error-1015-Fixer.zip and as the name implies this is the firmware reboot program that should be used when encountering a 1015 error upon completion of the firmware update (or downgrade in this case).

So here's the specifics:
    1. Get the right firmware (start on modmyi and then trial & error if that doesn't work).
    2 Uninstall iTunes 9.2 and re-install iTunes 9.1
    3. Put the phone into DFU mode (I think DFU = Device Firmware Update). This takes a little pratice....press the Home button and power button simultanesously and in exactly 10 seconds release the power button while continuing to hold down the Home button. If done correctly you will eventually see a picture of a USB cable on the screen. The software in the phone is now set to request a firmware download from iTunes.
    4. Run the LIBUSB64Fix.zip and read all of the instructions before proceeding, this will require a reboot. DO NOT touch any keys while your PC is rebooting. One of the programs in the LIBUSB64Fix.zip temporarily modifies the PC boot process, just let it proceed until your PC is completed booted.
    5. Open iTunes 9.1 and it will give you a message that the phone needs to be updated and to connect to the apple website.
    Now here's a side note on one other change I found and made, but don't know if it really makes a difference, but you need to find a file in CWindows\System32\drivers\etc called "hosts" and open it with the Windows Notepad. Go to the last line of the file and enter in a line as follows:

74.208.10.249 gs.apple.com

Supposedly this will cause iTunes to re-direct to Cydia to verify your phone and firmware, but I'm really not sure if this had any effect and I didn't take the time to try the downgrade without making this change. Once you make this change you MUST save the "hosts" file with the SAME file extension that it had when you opened it, otherwise Notepad will give it a .txt file extension and the "hosts" file will fail to be recognized by the Windows operating system.
    6. iTunes will prompt you to get restore the phone from the apple website or something to that effect. Just skip over that that step (I don't remember what the choices iTunes gives you to click on, just DON'T click on anything that will accept the restore from the appple website). At this point iTunes will have a screen with a button on it labled "Restore". Hold down your left Shift key and click on the "Restore" button. This will bring up a window that allows you to navigate to where you save your firmware file. This is where the trial and error begins. iTunes will almost immediately recognize an incompatible firmware file, but once you find a "good" firmware file, you will notice the interaction between your phone and iTunes as the firmaware is loaded into the phone and you should at some point see a status bar on iTunes and your phone. Eventually the firmware will load into the phone and you will get an error on your PC screen in iTunes to the effect that the firmware update failed. This is the part where the error I encountered was a 1015 error and the next step is what corrects the error.
    7. Unzip 1015-Fixer.zip and click on the "Fix My Error" button. If the LIBUSB64Fix.zip installed and functioned properly then the USB channel between iTunes and your phone should be open and the 1015-Fixer program should be able to restart your phone.
    8. Once the phone is operational, go into Settings, General, About and verify that your firmware is 3.1.3. If so, then use Spirit to jailbreak your phone and return to life as you knew it to be before IOS 4.0

I recommend downloading all of the software first and then execute each step as outlined above. Also, keep in mind the general concepts:
    1. You need to revert to iTunes 9.1
    2. The downgrade firmware needs to be compatible and matched with your phone.
    3. You will need a program that opens the USB communication channel between iTunes and your phone.
    4. You will need a program that will force your phone to restart after the firmware has been downgraded.

I hope this helps, I sure know that I've visited well over 200 web pages and about 100 downgrade attempts before I was able to assemble these pieces of the puzzle and get a successful downgrade.

Good Luck!
    3. You will need a program that allows iTunes and your phone to communicate via the USB ca

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to timjs For This Useful Post:

Breezygirl (2010-07-13), seasoncha (2010-07-06)

Quote Originally Posted by timjs View Post
    Now here's a side note on one other change I found and made, but don't know if it really makes a difference, but you need to find a file in C:WindowsSystem32driversetc called "hosts" and open it with the Windows Notepad. Go to the last line of the file and enter in a line as follows:

74.208.10.249 gs.apple.com

Supposedly this will cause iTunes to re-direct to Cydia to verify your phone and firmware, but I'm really not sure if this had any effect and I didn't take the time to try the downgrade without making this change.
    I think you should first "take the time to try" downgrading without changing your windows hosts file!

If you can confirm downgrading without this change then you are GOLDEN!

4. The Following User Says Thank You to phivosc For This Useful Post:

timjs (2010-07-05)

Did you use SHSH blobs?

6. The Following User Says Thank You to alexs0fly For This Useful Post:

timjs (2010-07-05)

Thanks

The guides aleady show how to do this and you must have your SHSH blobs saved on Cydia to perform this downgrade.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by phivosc View Post
    I think you should first "take the time to try" downgrading without changing your windows hosts file!

Thanks, unfortunately I'm not a programmer or developer, just a persistent trouble-shooter that collectively looked at all of the downgrade info I could find and just kept working on the solution. One of the common denominators that appeared in many downgrade "instructions" was to modify the "hosts" file. My gut feeling, by way of observation, was that it didn't have any effect on the downgrade process, but at that point I was pleased with my "victory" and didn't want to go through the pain of replicating the downgrade process without the "hosts" file modification to prove whether or not that step was necessary. It would help if there was a recipe book that simply explains all of this, but I understand why such a thing does not exist. Thank you for your insights and I'll keep that in mind because I'm sure there will be a "next time".

Quote Originally Posted by alexs0fly View Post
    Did you use SHSH blobs?
    Hi Alex,

I've already answered your message privately, but for those that might be considering asking the same question: I knew about the "blob" thing, didn't understand it and didn't research it. I figured if I could just the downgrade to work then I would worry what a "blob" is and what I would need to do to re-jailbreak after I downgraded. Or perhaps I'm just ignorant and did have the "blobs" all along and don't know whether they're
    required to successfully downgrade.

Good Luck!
    Last edited by timjs; 2010-07-05 at 05:56 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Didn't work for me.

Windows 7 64 bit
    Not previously Jailbroken on iOS4

Use tinyumbrella to kick your device out

Question Did not work
    Could someone already had saved the BLOB to CYDIA's server previously?

Tried this step but im getting an error code 3194? Help

Quote Originally Posted by alexs0fly View Post
    Didn't work for me.

Windows 7 64 bit
    Not previously Jailbroken on iOS4
    I think it had to have been previously jailbroken to work. To my knowledge, a fresh iOS4 (never hacked prior) 3GS , 3G or 2G can't be jailbroken.

hey thank you very much...

Hell yeah just got it done!!! Whooooooweeee

Livin the iPhone Life CaptainChaos's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by phivosc View Post

On a 3GS it is impossible to downgrade without altering your Hosts file. The 3G can be done without this step, but the 3GS has to have SHSH blobs on file(hence the redirecting of the Hosts file) or it cannot be done. There is no way around it.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to CaptainChaos For This Useful Post:

timjs (2010-07-08)

any idea why im getting this error 3194?

Quote Originally Posted by timjs View Post

The hardware and software:

Dell PC running Windows 7 64-bit
    iPhone 3GS purchased with 3.1.3, baseband 05.13.04 and mistakenly upgraded to 4.0, formerly jailbroken with Spirit and using Cydia and Rock for most apps.
    This answer's everyone's questions about the SHSH Blobs..
    It was previously jailbroken and I'm sure user has been on Cydia before. So the SHSH Blobs must've been saved

20. The Following User Says Thank You to jdmcelica For This Useful Post:

timjs (2010-07-08)

does anyone have a working firmware for 3gs 3.1.3, baseband 5.12.01

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    Yes, Cydia was my first excursion after jailbreak and I've been getting apps from Cydia ever since. I still don't know what "blobs"are,but i'm guessing they're some kind of reverse cookie that Cydia employs to store user info. Most of the downgrade procedures seemed to imply that users needed to do something other than log on to Cydia in order to create and store blobs, however it seems that all one needs to do is to just create and use a Cydia account and Cydia will store the blobs automatically. This has been very enlightening.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    there is an option the very first time you ever open cydia and it asks something baout do you want o make life eiaser .. if you answer yes , then the emi number and the blolbs are uploaded , the mod to the host files says "if you are looking for the apple server, please go to cyida " and then it finds your blobs , which are then passed back to i tunes telling it it is ok to down grade

24. The Following User Says Thank You to obsidianjaguar For This Useful Post:

timjs (2010-07-09)

Thanks
    Can you share where you got the 1015-Fixer.zip download, thank you. I've searched but can't find it.

Breezygirl,

Try this link

The Iphone Spot Blog Archive Error 1015 Fixer Tool For Mac And Windows

I hope I'm not breaking any rules by posting this link.

It seems that you have managed to get to the 1015 error which would mean that you're halfway down the downgrade path

You can try the 1015iFixer or the Quickpawn method. Try searching the Quickpawn method (or 1015 error) in this forum and you should be able to go through the process of getting your 3.1.2 downgrade.

Good Luck!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast